General Discussion Triathlon Talk » working a bike commute into a training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-03 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: working a bike commute into a training plan

I bike to work 4 days a week, at a little over 20 miles roundtrip.  I'm training for a few Olympic triathlons this summer.

How do you bike commuters fit it into your training plan?  I'm not riding as fast as I would be during a workout, but it must factor in somewhere.  Also how does it affect your rest days?

My plan is to go longer on my way home once a week and hit some hill repeats, then try to get a long ride in on the weekend.  I'd love to know your thoughts!

2009-02-03 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1942837

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-02-03 9:07 AM

Subject: RE: working a bike commute into a training plan
I bike commute 4 times per week as well unless the weather is bad. My commute is 30 miles round trip. I take Fridays off to resupply clothes and food at work so I don't need to carry much on the bike. I take a long ride on Saturday. I swim 3 times per week (twice during the week and once on the weekend). My swims during the winter are in a pool at a local fitness center. I swim in after work, since it is not open early enough to do it before. When the weather is OK I swim in a small lake that is only a mile from my house early in the morning or when I get home. I run 3 times a week as well.(two shorter runs during the week and one long run on Sunday). If I can get my a$$ out of bed early enough, I run in the morining during the week on the days I am not swimming.

I ride into work in the morning at an easy pace, but twice a week as the race season gets closer I ride home at a much harder pace, usually intervals of varying lengths one day and a tempo ride the other. On the hard rides I do not carry anything home. I ride my race bike (Cervelo Soloist) on those days and my commuter bike (a Surly Cross-Check) on the other two days.

I have used this approach the last couple of years and have done 4 sprints and one OLY each year. This year I am planning on doing a HIM in late September as well as the shorter TRIs. I plan on gradually increasing the time and distance of my long rides and runs on the weekend to get ready for the HIM.
2009-02-03 9:30 AM

Master
Southern Ontario
My bike commute is only 5k each way - so although I count the miles - it's not really a workout.... I keep my regular schedule and so if it's a run night I ride home and then go for my run.  If it's a bike night I drop my commuting stuff off and head out .
2009-02-03 9:46 AM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

When I am regularly commuting (unfortunately not much since Dec ) I will still do the rides I would do normally and use the commute as bonus time.  My commute is only 10km each way but includes a fair number of hills and depending on the day, it might include:

1. Just riding
  2. 30" Hard/4:30 moderate
  3. Attack all hills
  4. Chase down any other cyclists
  5. Commuting PB

The idea is that for the most part there is some focus to the ride that will see me riding at a higher intensity than I would if I was just commuting.

Ultimately, the 80 miles a week you are getting from commuting are great and will be around what many triathletes do for training. 

Shane

2009-02-03 11:00 AM

Champion
Northridge, California
In my previous job, I bike commuted three days a week. I integrated that into my HIM training. Two days, I biked about 6 miles to/from subway (each way) and did at least one leg as a speed workout. The third day, I'd bike all the way to work (20 miles with significant hills) in the AM, then bike from the subway in the PM. So those three days gave me 50 miles of cycling, with some speedwork and hills. Long ride on the weekend and I was good to go.

2009-02-03 2:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
I typically commute 2-5 days a week on my bike, about 12 miles each way. I am still trying to plan how I want to set this up as part of my training. I can't really get a good workout in as far as training goes for any of them because 1. I dont have anyplace at my work to store extra clothes/food for a week or even a day or two. 2. I have to carry a lot of extra weight in the form of cloths/workstuff/lunch etc. 3. Downtown traffic sucks to ride in. All of this means that even though I have significant hill work as part of my commute none of it works for training as part of an overall plan because of the extra weight/encumberance to my bike. I push it but still I will either kill myself or just make it up the hills each time. It is even worse on rainy days. If anyone figures this out...I am all ears.
2009-02-04 9:15 AM

Master
Rochester, NY

Bike commuting like this is fantastic for putting in base miles.  This is just a great way to put in lots of saddle time and miles.  80 per week for just commuting?  Thats just sweet.

20 miles per day, probably 1:10 or so in saddle time.  Depending on just how serious you are about grabbing a podium spot, you might not need to do anything more than adding a long weekend ride to be competitive on the bike leg.

This ride could play a number of functions in your training plan.  1) Just raw base miles.  2) Go really easy, and its a nice recovery.  3) Want some threshold work?  Gun it on the way home. 

I think you'll find, though, that these miles to add up on the legs.  You'll be surprised at how they may impact the freshness for running on the same day.  Especially until your body adapts to doing this week after week. 

It is far from trivial.  Its 5 hours per week on the bike.  Even in most ironman training plans, thats 1/4 of a week's work at peak volume.   For many Oly plans, you'll peak at about 10-12 hours training per week.  So you're getting maybe half your volume from just doing this. 

The end result is a really good bike foundation.

2009-02-04 12:43 PM

Veteran
I intend to do virtually all of my shorter rides commuting to or from work in preparation for IM wisconsin. I'm pretty lucky, I can park my bike in my office (where I stare at it longingly all day), leave my truck overnight if warranted, and I work right on the stick of the IM bike course. So althouth my commute is only 15 miles, I can easily stretch it to 30 or 40 and actually ride a small part of the course on the way home if I want.

My typical week come summer will be:

M - drive in bike home
T - bike in drive home
W- drive in bike home
T - bike in drive home
F - no biking

This allows me to shuttle clothes back and forth throughout the week, and still gives me a vehicle for when I need to get to the pool or the lake. I think I have it worked out...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » working a bike commute into a training plan Rss Feed