United States
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 10m 32s
Overall Rank = 432/528
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We spent the night in one of the "cottages" on the resort. It was a very large 2-bedroom 2-bathroom apartment with plenty of space for our bikes and a full kitchen. I'll definitely stay there if I do the race again next year.

Pre-race breakfast: 2/3 of a pb & banana bagel, half a cup of coffee. I normally would eat more but I was still full from dinner the night before.
Event warmup:

I just rode my bike from the cottage to the transition area. Before the swim I briefly warmed up in the water, which was a pleasant 79 degrees.
Swim
  • 40m 33s
  • 1700 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

While we were standing around waiting for the gun to go off, my feet started itching and I looked down and saw that I was STANDING IN AN ANT BED! This would come back to haunt me the next day, but fortunately I forgot about it as soon as the gun went off.

In general the swim was quite pleasant. I ended up with some pretty bad bruises from getting punched/kicked, but it didn't bother me at the time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, except don't stand in an ant bed.
Transition 1
  • 06m 10s
Comments:

The transition area is in a grassy area not too far from the swim exit and bike start.

My transitions were SO slow. Part of the problem is that I was putting on double-layer socks, which I needed for the run to prevent blisters. It's hard to put those on wet feet.
Bike
  • 3h 49m 28s
  • 59 miles
  • 15.43 mile/hr
Comments:

The water in this county tastes absolutely horrible. There were two water bottle handups on the bike. You would think by that point I would be so thirsty that I could drink anything, but is still tasted just awful!

I was having some saddle issues, so I was never really comfortable on the bike. That definitely slowed me down some.

On the bike I had 125 ounces of fluids, and 920 calories in the form of 2 servings of accelerade, 3 servings of gatorade, a clif bar, and 2 packs of GU. I also popped four Endurolytes.

There was a gang of motorcycles that rode by at one point during the first half of the bike course. That wasn't exactly pleasant, but at least they didn't come too close to me.

More Endurolytes. I think have fixed my saddle problems with the Terry Butterfly Tri.

My bike split was a little slower than expected, probably because I was treating it as a joy ride.
Transition 2
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

I did not have my act together when I arrived into T2. I almost rode over the transition zone line, and then I almost fell down when I dismounted.

My other problem was that I was wearing an extra pair of bike shorts to partially make up for my saddle problems. I forgot to take them off, and ended up running part of the run with them on.

Run
  • 2h 30m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Everyone on the course was suffering from the heat. Just for comparison, my pace in this race was 11:30, and a few months earlier I had run some half marathons with a 9:20-9:30 pace.

I was really sick of gatorade by the end. I think next time I'll try more gel & endurolytes rather than gatorade.

Post race
Warm down:

Free post-race massages.
Pizza, cookies, etc. at the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat. Saddle problems on the bike.

Event comments:

This was a great race. First off, I just want to say that this was a great race. The volunteers were extremely encouraging and cheerful, the organization was great, the course was well-marked, and for once, the t-shirt is actually attractive and it fits me. Even the free pasta dinner exceeded my expectations. The swim course was a little short, but I'm not complaining about that.

I said at the beginning that it was 97 degrees, but that was with the heat index. I don't remember what it was without the heat index. It was sunny & humid.

Swag: t-shirt, a finisher's mug, the pre-race dinner, power bars and hammer gel.

There is a 24-hour Walmart Supercenter within 1 mile of the resort area in case you forget something. There is also a pretty good little expo where you can buy tri apparel if you forget that.

Last updated: 2005-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:33 | 1700 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/528
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: There were four swim start waves, and my wave consisted of all of the women, about 150 of us total. We were the second wave. We started on the beach of a small cove. The fog rolled in that morning which made it difficult to see some of the more distant buoys. The swim course was short. I would guess by at least 300 meters. I was expecting my time to be closer to 50 minutes. The water was quite shallow towards the end. Don't stand up until your fingers are touching the bottom while swimming.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:49:28 | 59 miles | 15.43 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: It was a 59-mile course on country roads with some minor rolling hills. Not as flat as you would expect for the Houston area, but still considerably flatter than Austin. The road quality was really bad (we're talking major potholes) for a couple of miles starting around mile 43, but the scenery more than made up for it. There was also one road with a fairly rough chip-seal. The first half of the bike course was very nice, though.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:57
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:30:22 | 13.1 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: A double out-and-back (a 2.9-mile stretch you run on 4 times) followed by 1 .4 more miles to the finish line. I think that really helped me because there was quite a bit of support on the course. It was unusually hot this day, and there was no shade on the run course. There were 3 aid stations in the 3-mile stretch: one on each end and one in the middle. Plus there was one more aid station at mile 12. So you passed an aid station a total of 10 times. One of them had hammer gel. All of them had gatorade and water.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes