General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Swim Distance vs Open Water Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-19 11:37 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Subject: Indoor Swim Distance vs Open Water Distance
New to the site. LOTs of great info.

I am now up to 1200m in my swim training distance and my first tri-sprint race is 1.5 months away. Not to discount the other events, but the swim is most difficult for me. The race is only 800m but I have a couple q's......since I am new to the sport.

Any advice on additional training I can do to prepare for the "pack" swim? I have heard horror stories of busted noses. This has to equate to expended energy somehow.

Also, I have been swimming the 1200mtrs freestyle with a kickturn. The push off the wall should account for about 1 stroke per 25m, so I assume that would equate to around 40 additional strokes, which is 100mtrs in open water (10 freestyle-strokes per my one 25m lap). Am I looking too deep here or should I continue training extra distance?

2005-03-19 11:51 PM
in reply to: #131857

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Subject: RE: Indoor Swim Distance vs Open Water Distance
Sounds like you're doing the right distance. I would say to boost your confidence, make sure you can swim 800 meters continuously in the pool. The horror stories you hear about usually result from individuals placing themselves in the wrong position as the beginning of the swim. There is nothing wrong with starting at the back of the pack and on the side. By starting at the back, it gives me an opportunity to pass other people (not that that happens a whole lot). As for the kick turn, I don't have any real good advice for you. I figure the added adrenaline will make up for the turns.

If you're really concerned about the pack swim. Get some friends and all of you swim in the same lane. You could move people around so that you start off in front (to get the feel of people hitting your feet) then also swim behind someone to get the feel of swimming up on someone.

Not sure if any of this helps...

Good luck.
2005-03-20 12:33 AM

User image

Expert
WA
i would DEFINITELY advise doing some open water swimming before you hit the race. i swam competitively as a kid and am very comfortable in water, although i am no longer fast. there were a few things that got me about the swim that i didn't expect. if you just can't practice a bit in open water, keep in mind these next few points.

1) it definitely feels longer because it's not broken up into 25 yard increments. (even if you swim a straight, there is segmentation just because you have to turn around. mentally, this makes a difference also). i would be sure you can comfortably swim 1000 yards straight, just to be sure.

2) you can't see at all in the water, it's probably not clear like a pool.

3) i have no problem with swimming straight in a pool, i am evenly aligned in my stroke, but in the open water, with waves and no lane lines or black T, it is somehow not easy to swim straight.

4) on a related note, PRACTICE looking up and doing a "sight" as you swim to make sure you are swimming int eh right direction. in my first and only sprint tri last year i probably swam an extra 50 yards by veering off course. i didn't know how to sight properly and ended up basically stopped every few strokes to raise my head, my feet sunk, and i lost all momentum. a massive waste of energy. (the way to do it instead is as you are bringing your head back into the water off a breath, tip your head up/raise your eyes just enough to briefly look forward above water before you put it back in the water to continue stroking. every few strokes should be fine.)

as for the pack swim, it's not bad if you are in the back and to the side. if you are not doing a ridiculously competitive race and putting yourself on the front line, it won't be too bad.

good luck!

Edited by lisazapato 2005-03-20 12:34 AM
2005-03-20 6:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My first event ever was a lake swim 1k distance and even though it was an interval start every 3 seconds it still turned into a pack situation quickly. I didn't have any horror stories other than my inability to swim a straight line, note: you can't see more than a couple of feet in front of your face, and I found my self swimming off course several times. Eventaully I started checking my position every 20-30 strokes and was able to swim a little straighter line. I'm sure I swam much more than the 1k distance.
2005-03-20 12:07 PM

User image

Austin, TX
Like the others said, I would keep swimming that distance. I have found when the conditions are calm and the water isn't too cold that my race swim time usually takes about 10% longer than the equivalent length in a pool. That assumes that the water isn't too choppy or cold, and I remain calm during the first 200 yards. Otherwise it could add a couple of minutes to the time. I typically sight every 6 or 9 strokes (stroke = 1 arm pull), but it varies depending on the conditions. Make sure you examine the swim course before the race and you know how many buoys there are. The swimmers can become very congested around the buoys, but if you swim to the far outside of the buoy then you have to cover a farther distance.

If you search around on this site you will hear about breathing bilaterally (on both sides). In addition to breathing bilaterally, you also need to be able to breathe just on one side (every 2 or 4 strokes). For example, you may want to only breathe on your left side if there are waves coming from your right side or someone is swimming on your right side. That way you don't inhale a mouth full of water.

One other thing about pack swims is that they make me want to swim faster. It's not because of competitiveness; sometimes I just want to pass a person who keeps swimming too close to me. At any rate, crowded swims usually make me swim faster than swimming by myself.
2005-03-23 7:53 PM

Regular
San Francisco Bay Area
WOW, good input! I agree with lisazapato, you should do some open water swimming prior to the race. Learning to "sight" bouies, etc. is essential to swimming as straight as possible. You don't want to add anymore distance to the swim. I just did Ralph's 1/2 Ironman in Oceanside, CA last Saturday and I was amazed at how many people went so far off course. I had guys literally swiming almost horizontally in front of me. I am sure they didn't like me swimming over them. . . . :-)

Also, why is it that people who are slow swimmers have to be in the front and middle of the pack at the starting line? These are the people who kick you when you catch up to them.

The key is to relax, get into your rythym and site every 5 to 10 strokes. I sight every 10 as I go pretty straight.

Good luck.

John

2005-03-23 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Hi i'm very new to Tri's but i have done alot of open water swimming.

I think all the advice everyone has given you is great. someone already mentioned it but your starting position is really important. If you aren't the fastest swimmer don't position yourself at the start. thats how you end up with busted noses.
I try to start on the side of the pack. I am a fast strong swimmer but I'm also cautious. I also know that anything can happen in an open water swim so I like to be able to have a bit of space around me just in case.
2005-03-27 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Thanks to everyone for the input........great comments!

Swam 1600m last Thursday and employed some of the recommendations listed by everyone. I intentionally trained during the "open swim" and shared a lane. The amount of kids jumping around added lots of "chop". I also tried alternating my breathing, which wasnt too bad. The part I have to get used to is looking up every so often to replicate "sighting". It was tough not to lose rythem/momentum. Finished the swim in 33m 40s.

As far as the weather, I couldnt take it anymore so I biked 10miles outside today. It was 43deg F with 8-10mph wind (Toldeo, OH). I've got to move south this year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Swim Distance vs Open Water Distance Rss Feed