General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first spinning class sunday...any advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-13 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: first spinning class sunday...any advice
hello friends, it has been forever since i've posted but i am trying hard to get better at biking. it is by far my worst leg of the race. i'm really proud of the progress i've made in swimming (now at 1:30 average per 100yd) and i tend to walk/jog the run portion but i just die on the bike. So iwant to go to the spin class on Sunday at my gym> yes i'm intimidated but i always get over that very quickly and know that any challenging class or workout is ALWAYS worth it in the end. So i'm gonna go. just wondering if anyone can give me any pointers? Can i go my own pace? I'm kind of a 12 mile an hr person on the regular stationary bike. I SUCK on the hills though so that's where i want to get better.

Thanks!
jennifer

PS..i am just a sprint tri-er still just trying to lose weight and get better. so while not a complete newbie (ive done 5 tris) not experienced either

2009-02-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1961106

User image

Subject: RE: first spinning class sunday...any advice

Yup, try to follow the class (at least at first) but certainly, go at your own pace so you last the hour.

My only advice is you know they are like fixed gear bikes, you can't stop pedaling and coast. to slow down you have to slwo down your legs.   my knees will attest to that :^

2009-02-13 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
New York

From my own personal experience I would say that the instructors in most of these spin classes have the class stand up to much on the bike. They are really focused on the aerobic aspect more than good cycling. When I take the classes I change the routine a little bit to fit what I am looking to accomplish. So if I was working on hills I would increase the resistance on the bike and stay seated occassionally coming out of the saddle. Another thing that these classes do a lot are jumps. When they do jumps I usually just move my hands to aero position from where the bike breaks would be. Not saying this is right or wrong. I just think that this would be more beneficial than "jumping" on a bike.

2009-02-13 1:51 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Having 5 tri's under your belt, you will find you won't feel like a newbie very long.  There will be other folks there who have probably never done a race let alone a tri.  Not to worry, you'll be fine.
2009-02-13 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA

congrats on going, the first class is always the toughest...

make sure you get there early (10-15 min) and ask the instructor to help with the bike set up...maybe even alter it to fit your tri style (lower handlebars or whatever)

bring a towel, (spd shoes?) and water bottle it will get hot

my 0.02

2009-02-13 2:52 PM

Find an instructor who is an actual cyclist and teaches the class like a cyclist. All that super-duper fast spinning with your legs won't do anything to help you but burn calories. And yeah, too much standing, ESP. when they ask you to stand and spin super-duper-fast - that's a recipe for knee problems right there. You'd get more out of a session that was modeled more like a trainer workout for a regular triathlete or cyclist. Those are the classes where I've actually felt like I got a good workout, muscularly.(I'm a pretty crappy cyclist too - for the hard-core fast dudes here, a spin class wouldn't do much of anything for them) But also keep in mind that a spin bike is not like a regular bike. Things will feel easier on the spin bike - like single-leg-drills. WAY harder on your actual bike that on a spin bike, if you have any sort of imbalances or weaknesses.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-02-13 2:54 PM

2009-02-13 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1961291

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL

wurkit_gurl - 2009-02-13 3:52 PM Find an instructor who is an actual cyclist and teaches the class like a cyclist.  

I've done just 2 spin classes, and just in the last 2 weeks and I already agree with this.  My first class was with a tiny barbie-doll instructor who had us jumping up & down out of the saddle (not so good for boys in loose shorts) and it felt like an aerobics class on a bike.  Second class was with a 4x Ironman finisher who kept us in the saddle most of the time except for "climbs" and worked us by adjusting resistance/cadence.  While neither class was a whole heck of a lot like being on the road, I feel like the latter class contributed more to the kind of training I was looking for.

2009-02-13 6:56 PM

User image

Fishers, IN
Most of the time at the classes I go to the instructors say "remember this is your ride, you control how hard or how easy it is, just make certain you get out of it what you need" ...or something like that.  Hopefully your cycling shoes will fit their clips.  If you have a heart rate monitor, that can be a nice accessory.  I ride pretty hard on the roads during the summer on group rides, but the spin classes can be equally intense if you choose.  Good news is, you will not get dropped on the ride! 

Edited by rc63413 2009-02-13 7:02 PM
2009-02-13 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
and bring a big water, not just a 20oz.
2009-02-13 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
My advice?  Be prepared to hurt the next day.  In a good way.  But still.
2009-02-14 5:07 PM

User image

Virginia

Wow, 1:30/100yd avg swimmer w/ 5 tris logged, that's great!  I'm sure you'll have no problem with spin class, and remember you are always in control of your own resistance. I've been going to spin class 2x a week for 3 years, and I'm hooked big time...it's really helped my road biking, *especially* climbing hills, plus anything endurance.

You've already gotten some good advice about bringing water, also bring a towel (ideally large enough to drape across the handlebars). If you have bike shoes w/ compatible clips  that's a plus too--check it out after first class.  Likely you'll be doing lots of intervals, maybe 1:30 or 2:00 repeating ones with short breaks, with probably some portion done out of the saddle.  If you're lucky like me, the instructor(s) are accomplished *real bike* riders, and "frame" things in real biking terms (over the music), and strive to make things interesting and fun!

Btw, I'm not above doing the "jumps" and "hover" stuff in spin class too, whenever that comes up--all that is great exercise for your core muscles, even if there is no direct translation to real biking.  And a little fast spinning (seated only) as the "downhill" portion after intervals is good too--gets your "fast twitch muscles" going.  And that actually *does* happen when biking down real hills, thankfully!

Hope you like it, and I hope I can make similar progress in swimming as you...I'm at 1:55/100yd avg at the moment, after a 13 mo. from starting at 2:30!

2009-02-14 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Just go and try it.  Don't feel intimidated.  The bikes you ride -YOU control the resistance so YOU control how hard you are working - so back off and spin with easy resistance if you need to.  Also do not be afraid to do your own thing - if they are doing standing stuff and you don't feel ready to do it or don't want to, just remain sitting.  Most instructors will tell you to go your own pace and it is your ride - they are just there for motivation really!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first spinning class sunday...any advice Rss Feed