CSUS Triathlon Team
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 31m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The night before I prepared all my bottles of sports drink, laid out my transition area and made sure I had everything I needed. Ate a normal but light breakfast. Got there early (very early, it turns out).
Event warmup:

Run 10 minutes scoping out the course, bike 10 minutes on the course. Swim 10 minutes. I was warmed up and prepared to race at 9am (except for a swim warmup) but my wave didn't start until 11am so did a lot of stretching in between and warmed up with a run a second time.
Swim
  • 09m 5s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did better than I thought I would. There was a 10 minute cut-off and I was worried about making that but I came in just over 9 minutes. I was really happy with my swim time (even though it didn't help my over standing that much).
What would you do differently?:

Stay a little better focused. Not look at or worry about other people. Just make sure my form stays good all the time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

T1 seemed to go slowly. It was raining so everything was wet. My socks were like sponges but I decided to wear them (I haven't trained without socks on the bike -- nothing new on race day, remember?). I put the straps on my shoes into the clicker up to the first click and shoved my feet in. I think that worked well. Gear: glasses, head/earband, helmet, shirt, bike shorts, shoes. The head/earband was good to have but I initially put it on upside down (doesn't help the ears much that way). The shirt went on easily (surprisingly). I also vaselined my nipples at this point, although that didn't end up solving the bloody nipple problem. I had a little problem putting my shoes in the pedals (I just went clipless a few weeks ago).

To save a little time I also didn't put on my jacket (the weather had cleared up at that moment) or my gloves. Both those decisions ended up working great.

Make sure head/earband is not upside down. I need more practice getting onto my bike with clipless shoes/pedals at race pace.
Bike
  • 47m
  • 13 miles
  • 16.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Time is approximate (but close). The split time on my watch includes T2 (47:28), but T2 was really quick.

I thank the almighty tire and tube gods for not getting a flat as I just got this bike and have yet to change a flat on it. I didn't want to learn on the race course.

Keeping race pace took some discipline. Because of how the race was structured, I think there were probably 9 or 10 people in my wave. That meant that I was riding alone for most of the time. I passed 4 people, which felt good, but it's not the same as riding neck and neck with someone else. There were a few times that I slacked off because my focus waned and I wasn't pushing myself as hard as I could have.

Stay more focused so I can push myself harder to go faster more consistently. Tighten my pedals so my feet don't clip out so easily.
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

Time is approximate because I forgot to mark the split. This split seemed to go really fast. I think my transitions could be more organized overall, but it was relatively good.

Clip out of both pedals before getting off the bike. I almost fell over! I also got my bike shorts caught on the seat. I don't know how to avoid that. Probably if I hadn't almost fallen over, it wouldn't have happened.
Run
  • 31m 46s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a hard time at the beginning. It took me about a mile to recover and get up to where I was feeling OK. I think I could have pushed myself more. I took a fuel belt with me which was good but I had more than I needed. I also didn't re-vaseline my nipples in T2 and ended up with some blood on my jersey.

Push myself more, give it all I've got.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretches, walking around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not pushing myself hard enough

Event comments:

This was an informal race put on the the university triathlon club. I didn't have high expectations so it was OK. It was a bit of a pain to arrive at 7:30 and not start until 11am, but at least I knew the course well! It's OK. I enjoyed the race, getting to practice, and supporting the local kids.

There were no drink or fuel stations and I didn't expect any (hence the fuel belt). They could have had a few more volunteers, but it was adequate.

As long as you don't expect a lot, except to challenge yourself and have fun, this was a decent race.

Last updated: 2005-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:05 | 500 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Jammers
Course: This was in a pool. We started in the water (not diving in).
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:00 | 13 miles | 16.60 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Through campus with 2 90-degree turns and 2 135-degree turns, through a narrow entrance, up an S-shaped ramp, through poles in the ground, over a bridge, through more poles, hairpin turn off the bridge onto a bike path, with another 90-degree turn onto the main bike path. Geesh! Most of it was pretty straight and flat, though, out the American River bike trail and back. There were two stop signs but they were for park roads so it was easy to do a "California stop".
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:46 | 03.1 miles | 10m 15s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Back through campus along the same route as the bike, except instead of going up the S-shaped ramp, we went up two flights of stairs (!), and hung a quick right onto the bike path before the bridge. The course was similar to the bike one, just on the close side of the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-03-21 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: CSUS Hornet Triathlon

2005-03-21 1:26 PM
in reply to: #132316

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: CSUS Hornet Triathlon

Mike,

Nice job! Your first tri, right? Now you're a triathlete. Way to go!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CSUS Hornet Triathlon Rss Feed