General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trouble with presta valves! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-19 7:10 PM

User image

Regular
Long island, NY
Subject: trouble with presta valves!
Ok, I am having trouble with my presta valves on both the front and rear tires. My tires were filled with air until I tried to pump them up. I twisted the top part of the valve up until it was at the top, then I latched on my presta pump. I pulled the latch down on the pump to secure the fitting. Then I began to pump. Well, all I heard was air blowing out and the tire wasn't holding any pressure. When I unlatched the pump from the valve and looked at the tire, the tire was almost flat. as I touched the valve, air swooshed out until it went flat and the valve was now sunken in. I attempted to pump it up again, it did not hold any pressure.

I did the same thing with the rear tire and it happened again. I don't know what the heck is going on. I've had my bike for one season and have ridden it about 30 times so far. What am I doing wrong. As far as the bike pump is concerned, it is firmly attached over the presta valve.

Do I need to get new valves? Please help. I just want to put my bike on my new trainer and ride.

2009-02-19 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1971865

User image

Expert
Mississippi
Subject: RE: trouble with presta valves!

Ok, starting from where you are now:

Be sure the valve stem is open.  Unscrew the little tab.  If the tire is still flat, hold your finger on the tire where the valve stem is if you don't have the little retaining ring on the valve stem.  (If the retaining ring isn't on there, the valve stem is free to be pushed into the rim.)  Then put the pump head on the valve stem firmly and lock it on there.

Then you *should* be good to pump the tires.  The biggest problem I ever encounter is if I don't place the pump on the valve stem correctly.  

And, finally, be careful when finished pumping.  Unlock the pump and carefully remove it from the valve stem. Then, also carefully, screw the presta valve back closed.  If you push in on the little tab, it WILL allow the air to escape.  So JUST turn it, don't push.

I'm probably telling you everything you already know, but hope something works. 

2009-02-19 7:31 PM

User image

scrappy62 - 2009-02-19 8:10 PM

Ok, I am having trouble with my presta valves on both the front and rear tires. My tires were filled with air until I tried to pump them up. I twisted the top part of the valve up until it was at the top, then I latched on my presta pump. I pulled the latch down on the pump to secure the fitting.

Just a check, the pump tab is down when it's unlocked and is flipped up when locked. You should have it locked when pumping it.

Pay attention to your pressure gauge and it'll tell you when you've got the valve on right.
2009-02-19 9:34 PM

User image

Regular
Long island, NY
The pump I bought less than 8 months ago sucks. It doesn't grip the valve right anymore. I don't have the receipt, but it still has the tags are still on it. I bought it for $40 at the sports authority. You think spending $40 would be enough for a a quality pump.
2009-02-19 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1972049

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
scrappy62 - 2009-02-19 10:34 PM
I bought it for $40 at the sports authority. You think spending $40 would be enough for a a quality pump.

That will probably buy you a decent pump at a bike shop. However, the pumps I've seen at Sports Authority have a markup of at least 100% over their actual value.
2009-02-19 9:56 PM
in reply to: #1972049

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

scrappy62 - 2009-02-19 7:34 PM The pump I bought less than 8 months ago sucks. It doesn't grip the valve right anymore. I don't have the receipt, but it still has the tags are still on it. I bought it for $40 at the sports authority. You think spending $40 would be enough for a a quality pump.

If you can remove the rubber seal and flip it around to the opposite direction (it needs to be symmetrical for this to work), it might function like new again.

2009-02-20 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Rota, Spain

As the previous post said, some pumps only have one air hole so you may have to switch the insides around.  My $15 Schwinn pump has two holes, one for presta and one for schrader.  Also make sure that you are locking and unlocking it correctly. 

Another scenario is the valve on the tube is poop!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trouble with presta valves! Rss Feed