General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lifting to loose muscle bulk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-23 1:27 PM

User image

New user
Subject: lifting to loose muscle bulk

I know it seems like an oxy-moron but, I'm 5'10" 200+ and have a decent amount of fat to burn so that aside. I am looking to get smaller from a muscle mass standpoint.  I'm not huge but I'm way bigger up top when compared to other endurance athletes.

Should I be looking at going light and longer, circuit, or complex aerobic movements like kettlebells?  

2009-02-23 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1977508

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: lifting to loose muscle bulk
more 3sport training, less lifting is the only way (other than starving yourself I suppose) to drop muscle mass in your upper body. Even then it probably won't be "easy" to do... your body isn't really set up for drastic changes I'm afraid.
2009-02-23 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1977606

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Leegoocrap - 2009-02-23 2:10 PM

more 3sport training, less lifting is the only way (other than starving yourself I suppose) to drop muscle mass in your upper body. Even then it probably won't be "easy" to do... your body isn't really set up for drastic changes I'm afraid.

Leegoo is partially right. Losing weight is never easy. However, I would argue that the body is set up for drastic changes, it just doesn't like to make drastic changes, hence the reason why both losing weight and adding muscle can be difficult. This is also why when you go on a diet, the body wants to get rid of muscle first because muscle is more "expensive" to keep around than fat. Muscle requires more nutrients and calories to maintain than fat.

Having said that, I would advise that you lose the fat first and see what's under there. You may not have as much muscle mass as you think you have. Lower your calories, but eat plenty of protein and continue lifting weights. Once the fat is gone, you may like your new, muscular-looking physique. However, if you feel that you need to lose muscle, well, that's easy - drop the lifting and swim/bike/run like there's no tomorrow.

If you just want to lose weight and don't care whether or not you lose muscle, then drop your calories and swim/bike/run like there's no tomorrow. If you want to add lifting to your training, use light weights and high reps as these will stimulate your slow twitch fibers but not do much for the fast twitch. Kettlebells are good for fat loss, but they are also pretty good at preserving muscle, so it's your choice whether or not you want to use them.
2009-04-03 1:19 PM

I come from a weight lift body building background.  You big from fat not muscle.  Dont take that the wrong way.  Unless you are crushing big weights you are too big from fat...  Heep doing exactly what your doing except lose 20 pounds and you will see what I mean....
2009-04-03 1:42 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

As others are alluding, your goal is really to lose weight.  Don't worry about muscle, it will take care of itself. 

If you like to lift, then keep lifting.  Adding a lot of muscle takes a lot of work and whatever exercise you do will help you burn calories.  If lifting isn't your thing, then swim, bike & run to your heart's content.  You'll keep whatever muscle is necessary for those sports, while losing some in other areas that aren't used as much.

2009-04-03 4:08 PM

User image

I agree with whats been said.  I lifted exclusively for 5+ years, and a few months ago I started really hammering tri training.  Since then, I've lost nearly 20 lbs, both fat and muscle, though I've kept my strength up pretty well.  You will loose excess mass naturally as you increase aerobic workouts if you keep your calories around a maintenance level.  I can think of ways to loose muslce (starving yourself, picking up a meth habbit) but if you're really looking to loose bulk, you will by doing sufficient aerobic exercise and by keeping calories down.

2009-04-17 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

I totally agree.

Up the reps, lower the weights, do lots of trisets and supersets with no rest and the fat will come off...and the muscle will tighten up and get a bit smaller too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lifting to loose muscle bulk Rss Feed