General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Displaced IT Guy looking for job Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-26 10:51 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: Displaced IT Guy looking for job
Guys, I was "outsourced" to India on 2/9 and am in need of a job. I've been doing IT work since about 91, have owned consulting companies, worked for outher consulting companies, worked W2 jobs long term (job my team was just laid off from, I was at for 6 1/2 years, prior to that, my job was 5 years).

I'm fairly desparate to find a job soon. I live in Noblesville, just north of Indianapolis, and am willing to travel a little, but I own a house that is no longer what it was worth, or what I owe on it, so I am stuck here in this area. Fortunatly, my bank is good about working with me on my mortgage.

I'm a fairly high end IT guy - everything from Microsoft to and Unix flavor, I know most databases from a sysadmin standpoint (I am not a DBA, but I can do some DBA work), routing, including Cisco and most other flavors, high end networking lan/wan/etc. If anyone knows of anything, yep, I mean anything, I am willing to look. Employers have people pretty much at their mercy right now, CP Morgan just closed, let their IT team go, Delphi has cut their EDS workers, as has Chrysler, and I don't know how many other companies.

Most companies see technology as a cost center, and not an opportunity to keep with the current technology. That'll be great for us geeks 5 years from now, when we have to go back in and fix all their mishaps they caused, but for now, things look pretty bleak. I know I'll be fighting for a miserable sysadmin position for below average wages with lots of other people.

I am more than happy to forward you a copy of my resume if you know of anything or anyone looking for a good geek.

2009-02-27 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1984971

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: RE: Displaced IT Guy looking for job

Hey...it's good to hear from you.  I was wondering how your round with vertigo-ish physical concerns had come out. 

I will be of no help as far as a job (just glad I think mine and my husband are going to continue), but if I hear of anything, I'll let you know.  Hang in there, this has got to turn around at some point!

Smile AF

2009-02-27 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1985502

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Muscle spasm/seizure around my 7th & 8th cranial nerve, and my occipital nerve. 45 minutes with a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic in early December, he had me diagnosed, and 5 hours later, feeling like a new man. I just have to take an anti-siezure pill a few times a day to keep this from happening. I've started spin classes at the local LA Fitness, along with weights and some short bike to run bricks just to keep things flexible. Since I got laid off, I am teaching swim lessons 4 days a week to preschoolers. I have an hour break in there, and have been swimming at least a 500 each day. I'm picking up some more lessons at a different pool, and should have more pool time there as well. My local lake is still a bit chilly to swim - 40*, so it'll be a bit before I think about open water. Thanks for thinking about me, and for all the good thoughts you guys have sent my way.
2009-02-28 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1984971

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN

Glad to hear they know what the problem is/was!  Hang in there!

AF

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Displaced IT Guy looking for job Rss Feed