General Discussion Triathlon Talk » basic running questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-23 7:22 PM

User image

california
Subject: basic running questions...
Hi there!
I'm training for my 1st 1/2 marathon at the end of April. I have a few questions as I've begun to get out running more and more.... Hope to get some good feedback!
1) I was told when hitting a hill to try to keep my heart rate relatively the same... if that means slowing down my pace... so be it. Thoughts? I run at between 155-175HR and then sometimes a hill I get to 180-185 if I'm really pushing myself (does the home stretch count too??) I just don't want to OVERDUE it.

2)Is it bad to do a 6 mile "tempo" run (or 6 miles in general) the day before my long run? (ie this friday I was going to get in a 6 mile run and sat run my 11miles-the point I'm at currently for training).

3) on the day of a race (never done one!) do I warm up before at all? If so, what? and do I vary from what I normally have for breakfast before a long run??

4) i noticed when I ran 10 on monday at mile 9 my legs were pretty dead... I can see how ppl can cramp up... am I supposed to kick my butt or do high knees or something during my run b/c I realized, "wow", my legs pretty much stay int he same position/movement the whole time!

thanks!!,
first tymer

2005-03-23 7:34 PM
in reply to: #133402

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: basic running questions...

1. The idea of maintaining HR at the wall is simply to keep you moving forward. I agree with half of that - keep moving forward; not sure if it needs to be done at a specific HR. It does sound like you might be training too hard though, i.e., you're HR sounds awfully high for training runs.

2. Is a 6-mile tempo run "bad" before your long run? I would say it is not the preferred method. I would put a day between my tempo run and my long, slow distance run.

3.Yes, warm up before a race. There are many strategies, all highly individualized. I like to jog slowwwwwwly for about a 1/2 mile to a mile, depending on race length, and do light stretches. In a 5K or 10K, I like to jog to the starting line to elevate my HR  so I'm not warming up in the first mile.

4. It's not surprising that your legs feel dead after 9 miles. It sounds like you are running way too fast on your long runs and consequently your legs are tired. No need to get fancy, just slow down. Good luck.

2005-03-23 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Agree with what triman said. Also in response to the second part of question 3, no, do not vary from what you are used to eating before a long run. Eat and drink whatever you usually do before your long runs, if that has been working for you.On question 4 - On my long runs I sometimes will kick my butt a few times or go high with my knees just to get a little stretch along the way, as I also get that feeling that my legs are just sick of being in the same motion for 2-3 hours straight. Feels good to me, so I do it.

Welcome to the site!

-Rob

2005-03-23 10:04 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

People, people, read the questions before answering.

Question One is about maintaining heart rate on HILLS, not when hitting the wall. Yes, you should maintain the same approximate effort level when climbing hills, by shortening your stride (baby steps, like shifting to low gear in a truck) and/or slowing your pace. If you're in the "home stretch," why save anything, let it fly.

Question 3 is concerning warming up for a HALF MARATHON, not a 5K or 10K. Warming up for a longer distance is a matter of personal preferences, certainly if you intend to run a 5-minute pace you should get in a mile or so warm-up. If you're middle of the pack, like me, just run the first half-mile/mile at a slightly lower pace to warm up and loosen up..

2005-03-23 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Well you got me there, Bear. My Walgreen's reading glasses saw wall, not hill. So I read the question but missed a word. It could have been worse. She could have asked me to balance her checkbook. But I stick by my warm up suggestions ... she should warm up, and the routine would be the same, easy jogging and light stretching, and hit the starting line with an elevated heart rate so you don't spend the first mile "warming up." Race time is go time, so be ready.
2005-03-24 2:28 AM
in reply to: #133460

User image

california
Great feedback. thanks to all!!
Yes, I was referring to the hills...what is the "wall"??

1) my race starts about a mile from my house, to be exact...perhaps I slowly jog down to the race start!? I like the idea of having a bit of a heartrate when I start.....

2) So, sounds like my LONG runs I should slow down a bit. My avg HR has been around 166. Personally, I've found that 140-155 is a steady run, where I can talk and 155-175 is NO conversation.. harder. I don't want to over train!!??

3)sometimes my HR watch starts off obnoxiously high at the beginning of my runs...like 277HR. You think it's broken or just hasn't "grabbed" my true HR yet?

4)this trainer who wrote up a basic guide for me said ie: for this saturday to run 11-easy. What do you think Easy would be defined as? My goal would be to average close to a 9 min mile for the 1/2 marathon.... my 10 mile i did in 1.35.27 and my most recent 4 mile run today was in 35.55. I'm afraid to "over train" speedwise.....

2005-03-24 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

firsttymer - 2005-03-23 7:22 PM Hi there! I'm training for my 1st 1/2 marathon at the end of April. I have a few questions as I've begun to get out running more and more.... Hope to get some good feedback! 1) I was told when hitting a hill to try to keep my heart rate relatively the same... if that means slowing down my pace... so be it. Thoughts? I run at between 155-175HR and then sometimes a hill I get to 180-185 if I'm really pushing myself (does the home stretch count too??) I just don't want to OVERDUE it.

I've heard then when going up a hill (assuming you aren't specifically doing hill work) that you want to maintain equal effort as when on the flats.  This usually means you'll have to shorten your stride, and slow down a bit.  Don't forget to use your arms as you go up the hill

2)Is it bad to do a 6 mile "tempo" run (or 6 miles in general) the day before my long run? (ie this friday I was going to get in a 6 mile run and sat run my 11miles-the point I'm at currently for training).

Tempo runs are a good form of speed work training.  That being said, you should do two hard days in a row.  So a tempo run followed by a long run the next day may give you problems.  It would be ok to do a 6 mile easy run the day before, but not a 6 mile tempo run

3) on the day of a race (never done one!) do I warm up before at all? If so, what? and do I vary from what I normally have for breakfast before a long run??

If you are running a 1/2 marathong, you really don't need much of a warm up.  maybe just some easy jogging to get the legs loosened up and the blood flowing.  If you are doing 5 and 10k's you might want to through soem quick accelerations into your easy jogging to get the legs used to turing over quicker.

4) i noticed when I ran 10 on monday at mile 9 my legs were pretty dead... I can see how ppl can cramp up... am I supposed to kick my butt or do high knees or something during my run b/c I realized, "wow", my legs pretty much stay int he same position/movement the whole time! thanks!!,

Are you taking fluids when you are running those longer runs?  Anything with carbs?  The dead legs could be due lack of fluids/carb depletion.

first tymer

2005-03-24 8:56 AM
in reply to: #133510

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
firsttymer - 2005-03-24 3:28 AM

2) So, sounds like my LONG runs I should slow down a bit. My avg HR has been around 166. Personally, I've found that 140-155 is a steady run, where I can talk and 155-175 is NO conversation.. harder. I don't want to over train!!??

The general advice seems to be that while doing Long Slow Distance you should be doing it at a low HR (Zone 1/2). So your HR of 140-155 would be a much better pace for your long runs.

3)sometimes my HR watch starts off obnoxiously high at the beginning of my runs...like 277HR. You think it's broken or just hasn't "grabbed" my true HR yet?

Are you wetting the contacts before you start? I find that if I don't get enough water on the contacts that my HRM is very prone to electrical noise - giving HRs of 240 on a regular basis when I run under power lines, transformers, etc at the beginning of runs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » basic running questions... Rss Feed