General Discussion Triathlon Talk » torn medial meniscus anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-04-05 12:48 PM
in reply to: #133823

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: torn medial meniscus anyone?
Any word yet. Hopefully good news?

2005-04-07 5:05 PM

Torn meniscus in Rugby game 2001, scoped. Took it very easy and with help from physio I was back in action. Since then I went back in the Army where I carried loads up to 50-60kg during exercises up mountains. Retired from Rugby at the ripe old age of 25 and been training for triathlons since. I have had very little problems with my knee, apart from some creaking noises when I squat but no pain or swelling.

BUT I cannot stress it enough in the rehab process, listen to your doctor / physio. Don't go thinking that it doesn't hurt anymore I'll just jump on the bike for 100K. Follow the exercises given, and take your time healing.
2005-04-08 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Roger that Norway.

Surgery set for May 19. I made after a race the 15th,

2005-08-14 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
After searching for a bit I found this thread which , to an extent, kinda describes my "injury". My left knee started hurting after I upped my riding time two weeks ago. It only hurts when I am pushing down on the pedal and then only after I have been going for about 20 minutes.

I have taken it easy since I realized I injured it. There is no pain to run or walk. The day after my long ride I couldn't push off the wall with my left leg in the pool.

What made me think it could be a meniscus is that the pain seems to be on the outer kneecap deep in the "soft" tissue area.

I have tried resting it for 3 days with no running or biking... then I tried spinning on the trainer in easy gears 4 times and each time at about 20 minutes I start to feel a twinge. I don't let it get to full blown pain and just stop....

Seems pretty minor but it is cutting into my bikeing big time and I have a race on Sept 25.

Suggestions? Opinions? Comments?

Am I to wimpy and worried about nothing?

Edited by Biseman 2005-08-14 10:16 AM
2005-08-14 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

What I learned most of all from my knees, is that the mentality of being "whimpy" has no place in the mind of someone who is training. Obviously, SOMETHING is going on. Best bet, is to have a visit with orthpaedic doc. An exam, x-ray and MRI will tell all. At the very least you will likely get some PT.

Just to illustrate most especially...I had my knee done back in May. Its doing great and no more aching. BUT, since having gotten my right knee fixed, I now realize what I was living with and knew something was wrong with my left. I previously, was thinking like you, that i was a whimp (which in all other aspects of training I still can't shake the notion of), and that I just needed to work out more and get stronger. Getting the right knee fixed and realizing what pain free was, I knew there was something wrong with the left. Alas...an MRI on my left knee and voila...torn meniscus!! It isn't as bad a tear as my right and so I guess it just didn't have the same urgerncy for me to address it.

I'm not sure about what is wrong with your knee, it sounds different than mine in that biking never brought on the ache (while biking). More or less it was a certain range of motion while it is bent in the sitting position that would bring on the ache. Things like tennis, shovelling or anything that did twisting motion brought it on as well. Lastly, after a long workout...later on in the day it would ache.

Does that help at all?  Good luck.

2005-08-14 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
With that info you gave maybe it isn't a meniscus... maybe its just a tendon or sumfin. I'm going to try ice and anti-inflamatories for week or so and see if it helps...

thanks for the reply though...

2005-08-14 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

Lots of other things it can be. It can be lateral meniscus (outside of the knee), and i'm sure that would have very different symptoms. If you have insurance, a visit to the doc should solve the mystery. No doubt the antiflammatories and icing will help, but may only cure the symptoms

Let us know what happens!

2005-08-14 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
That is part of the problem .... my wife "is" a doctor but not and orthopedic one... She seems to think it is something involving a tendon.

I have never not healed in a week from any sort of injury. Couple that with the fact that it only starts to get cranked up after 20-30 minutes of riding and it makes me start to wonder what the problem is.

Luckily I can run and swim so there is a way for me to go do something even though I can't do what I like the most (biking).

The knee is still cold from iceing it as I write this..... I will ice it three times a day and keep the anti-inflamatories on board for a week or so and then try to cycle.... or knowing me I will try tomorrow

I have access to an xray machine and ultrasound machine but I really need an MRI which I don't have access to unless I have an official appt.

Edited by Biseman 2005-08-14 9:33 PM
2005-08-14 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
WV
Good on the icing. How about adding some lower extemity stretching? It sounds like your IT band and/or hamstrings are inflammed. Maybe even deep cross friction massage will help. Check your position on the bike, too. Good luck.
2005-08-15 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
I'm all for a massage! Thanks Hammer...
2005-08-21 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Well, I took a week off from the bike. I iced and took anti inflammatorie for 3 days at the beginning of the week.

I tried to spin on the trainer and at about 20 minutes the same pain started again.... I will give it one more week but if it isn't better by next weekend I will get to someone who will do some sort of imaging on it. I only have one scheduled race left this year but it is in less than a month.

I also love to ride.... I knew that my first injury/set back would be a good test to see if I can stay motivated and now it has finally happened.

Worst case scenario is I load up with anti-inflammatories the day of the race then rest it.....

2005-08-26 3:58 PM

I had part of my meniscus removed on 5/31. I was able to start swimming and biking in July, but because I have some weight on me, when I started running I did too much too soon and I now I'm having difficulty getting the swelling down. Really frustrating because I want to other things like play softball and I can't perform like I want to. This is my first post by the way. Hi!
2005-08-26 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
welcome Lori!Did you do any physical therapy after the surgery? I had my torn meniscus surgery in May, I was swimming the following week, and biking about 2 weeks after. I couldn't run for 3 months as per PT. I did have 4 weeks of PT, twice/week. My knee is doing really well now. Keep up the PT and your spirits!!
2005-08-26 8:18 PM
in reply to: #235004

Thanks for the welcome! I did 6 weeks of PT 3 times a week, and then two weeks twice a week. At my last session my knee felt great and I started agility exercises. But then my softball team ( I had sat most of the season) made the playoffs and I wanted to play so bad, my doctor had said I could start light jogging in August but I did a little more than light jogging. It's getting better but if the swelling isn't gone by the end of next week I'm going to go to the doc and make sure I didn't completely screw things up.

My goal is to do a - I think it's called an Olympic triathlon (1k swin, 40k bike, 10k run) next July in the Athena class. So I hope I start running in a few months. I'm totally new to all this - I was happy to see that people with injuries to their meniscus's are able to still compete.

Good luck to you too!
2005-08-26 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

The twisting that is required in softball probably did you in. Light jogging is forward motion. My PT said the same thing, just light jogging and that was after 3 months. No tennis, volleyball, or anything like that. I'm not a doctor, but I would think icing your knee and some ibuprofin will help. It shouldn't be swelling up, so a call in to the doc might be in order.

Good luck on the olympic triathlon...i'm sure there are others here doing the same race. Post it on the racing forum and see!!

2010-04-12 3:28 PM

My problem sounds similar, I have been having it for roughly 3 months.

It get's that achey feeling, it's hard to describe, it just feels funny sometimes, not a sharp pain though.

It definitely hurts when I try to play soccer, and it's occasionally sore after a run.

I have been building my quad muscles at the gym (light on the leg press, hip adduction/abudction/ extension) and ramping up my run distances very slowly with success.

But, the problem still definitely exists but it seems to be getting better. My initial thoughts are torn meniscus, does that sound feasible?

2010-04-12 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2786227

User image

Austin, Texas
nregan15621 - 2010-04-12 3:28 PM My problem sounds similar, I have been having it for roughly 3 months.

It get's that achey feeling, it's hard to describe, it just feels funny sometimes, not a sharp pain though.

It definitely hurts when I try to play soccer, and it's occasionally sore after a run.

I have been building my quad muscles at the gym (light on the leg press, hip adduction/abudction/ extension) and ramping up my run distances very slowly with success.

But, the problem still definitely exists but it seems to be getting better. My initial thoughts are torn meniscus, does that sound feasible?

I tore my medial several years back and the pain I experienced was very acute and sharp.  It felt like someone had a razor blade sawing back and forth.  I tried to trudge through the pain but with little luck.  It actually hurt more when I was seated and not moving.  It rarely hurt when I was moving around at a decent walk but I could not run for more than a few hundred meters before pain would set in.

Dr. scoped the knee and within a week I was doing treadmill work and within 2 weeks I was back on the road running.  30 days post surgery I ran my best 5k ever. 
2010-04-12 5:56 PM

i am in a similar situation i think. About 5 months ago my left knee took a knock and although it has improved its still not right. I had an MRI in december and it noted a medial meniscus tear that was not dislodged and although i dont have locking i do have pain on the inside of the knee that sort of radiates around a bit. Running seems like its out of the window at the moment as walking makes it 'sore' but not painful as such.

I do feel a 'snapping' type feeling from in the knee if i twist or rock it back and forth so i think ultimately i'll have to bite the bullet and have it looked at. dont like the idea of that though!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » torn medial meniscus anyone? Rss Feed  

of 2