General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used bike shop in the Twin City area? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-12 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Used bike shop in the Twin City area?

I am still new to tri sports and I am trying to find a new or used bike.  I have a mountain bike I bought years ago, but I look like I am riding a bmx bike when I am on it so using that for any length of ride is not really appealing.  I have been trying to find a used bike instead of buying a new bike, but really don't know of anyplace in the twins city area to even look.  I have priced bikes at both Erik's and Gear West and I could afford a low end bike before summer which I may still do, but was hoping to find additional options before shelling out a fair amount of money buying new, when I might be able to buy a good bike used.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Thank you

2009-03-12 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2014932

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Used bike shop in the Twin City area?

Consider Sunrise Cyclery on Lake Street in Minneapolis.  You're not going to find any tri bikes, but they've got some road bikes among their hundreds of used bikes.  They're good people too.  Another possibility would be Express Bike Shop on Selby in St. Paul.  That's where my wife bought me my first bike since I was in high school.  They refurbish bikes that are donated or sold to them and I believe they teach kids how to work on bikes.  Seems like good stuff.

The only other place I can think of would be The Hub Bike Co-op on Minnehaha just south of Lake St. in Minneapolis.  Good place, but I think you'd probably wind up spending a bit more there... though you may get a slightly newer bike there too.

2009-03-12 11:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN

I posted this exact question a few months back...I visited many of these shops and they didn't have anything close to what I was looking for...mostly very old roadies...BUT I did find exactly what I wanted by using this site:

http://www.qbike.com/Road-Bike-Buying-Guide/index.shtml

It lets you search by price and looks at ebay, craig's list and road bike review...I found a great deal on a roadie....But they list tri bikes too....Tons of bikes listed....

You can check the shops but keep this in mind too....

Good Luck....

2009-03-13 6:29 AM

User image

Elite
You could also go to www.bikesdirect.com  They have brand spanking new bikes for MUCH cheaper.  No tax and no shipping fees.  Bought my daughter a bike and it is a good bike for the price.  You can assemble yourself but it may be a good idea to have a bike shop do the fine tuning.
2009-03-13 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
I've noticed a ton of bikes in the windows of pawn shops. I haven't been in to look, but it appeared that there were some pretty nice rides in there. I even saw a few tri bikes in one (can't remember which one though).
2009-03-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2015144

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Craigslist is always a good source in the Twin Cities, we're lucky to have a big bike culture around here.  Then take the bike to Erik's or wherever is convenient for a tune-up and maybe a new chain or other parts and you're good to go! 

2009-03-15 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the responses, I will check into the different suggestions.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used bike shop in the Twin City area? Rss Feed