General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help from parents on choosing a jogging stroller Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-28 11:54 AM

Rota
Subject: help from parents on choosing a jogging stroller
hi everyone...i'm a newbie stationed in Spain and wanted to start training but wanted to also include my kids (2yr and 6 mo). i was wondering if anyone had any good reviews or suggestions for jogging strollers since i have to order one online and can not test drive any. i would mostly be jogging on asphalt and occasionally dirt or cobblestone roads (yes they still have those here) i'd like one thats also able to fit through doors. is the hand break and swivel wheel something to look into? thanks for any advice you can give.

2005-03-28 1:57 PM
in reply to: #134800

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: help from parents on choosing a jogging stroller

I have a Baby Jogger II and LOVE it!  They're expensive though - all types of jogging strollers are!  I got one that was a "2nd", so I got a decent deal. 

Big wheels = better rolling.  I like the hand brake and also use a strap around my wrist so the babe doesn't roll away!  Mine does not have a swivel wheel (didn't know they existed!), but it works just fine without it.  It collapses so I can put it in the car too. 

Good luck

2005-03-28 7:41 PM

User image

Regular
Rockland county , New York
try runnersworld
get the biggest wheels and the biggest span from front to back.
reebok comes with shock supports. ( i own ) it drifts alittle to the left sometimes.
I love it my daughter goes right to sleep, and I get in the 6 miles I want.
2005-03-28 9:03 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
I received a Baby Trend Expedition LX for Christmas and have used it 3 times. So far I really like it! It was pulling slightly to the left, adjusted it according to the directions and was much better today.
The stroller is very easy to assemble and very light pressure to push it. Get one with a tether or make a tether our of some kind of strap "just in case". I haven't used the hand brake at all yet, so I don't know how important it really is when looking for a stroller.
Good luck in your search!
2005-03-28 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Egad, I just did this consumer report for a friend who's about to have a baby. I think you want some version of Baby Jogger, unless you're rich, in which case you should throw down $400 on the BOB Ironman, the Cadillac of jogging strollers for triathletes. A new Baby Jogger online will run you $230 and up. You can certainly do better second hand. They're narrow enough to fit through doors and also good for serious running.

I have a Baby Trend that I got as a gift: hand brake, large inflated tires (not solid rubber), big enough that I'm still able to use it with my 4-yr-old. It's served me well, and I've abused it heartily all over the world. Still, I think it's more of an SUV-type stroller: designed for people who want to look like they're up to big things and in reality only use their 4WD to circle the parking lot at the mall. For long runs it was cumbersome. Maybe jogging strollers are cumbersome, or my kid is getting really heavy, I don't know. All the best reviews are for Baby Jogger.
2005-03-29 1:40 PM

Columbia, SC
Check out www.joggingstroller.com. It's a very informative site and I have had a very positive experience with a purchase I made from the site.

2005-03-29 6:29 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i just put 4 miles on my brand new b.o.b. ironman double. our first double was a tike tech double trouble. it was fine, but it wasn't made for running. we also have a single baby jogger, but we bought it as a second and it has some issues. some of the things we learned hunting for our second jogger:

+ not all jogging strollers for running! this may seem like a no-brainer, but jogging strollers are very popular. i got one because i thought it would handle better in the minnesota snow, not because i was running (because i wasn't back then!). sort of like the suv - originally designed for off-road and rough road use. became popular, so many models are made for folks driving them on the freeway who still want the look or size of an suv. joggingstroller.com has good recommendations on strollers that are good for running (as well as others that are best for value, portability, etc.)

+ there is no one perfect stroller. you may have to give up some things to gain others. our first was relatively inexpensive, light, and narrow. on the flip side, it wasn't ideal for running (after over a year of running and walking with it, it was tracking horribly which drove me nuts) and wasn't as durable or weather proof as i would of liked (i don't drive and used the stroller constantly...and we live in minnesota, where the weather changes a lot). our second is heavier (but bomb-proof) and wider (doesn't go through doors, but it has tracking adjustment).

+ figure out your needs. my needs have changed from when i bought my first. then, i was just about to give birth and wanted a way to bring my two kids on errands where i knew my oldest wouldn't be able to walk. getting through doorways was important, since i didn't want to have to unload the kids every time we made a stop. now my oldest is almost 4 and walks up to 5 miles a day. i carry my 18 month old on my back instead of in a stroller. i started running when my baby was about 5 months old, and after a season of pushing them in our first stroller, i realized it had some issues. the stroller we just got won't be good for many of the things i did with our first, but i'm hopeful that it will be much better for running.

+ not all kids will fit in all strollers! we went to test a dreamer design ditto, which had been at the top of our list, but our older daughter (almost 4, but very tall for her age) had her head smashed up into the canopy. the cockpit height for our first was 21", the b.o.b. is 21", but the ditto is 18"...a difference we could really see. consider narrowing down to a few models that look like they will fit your needs, and then compare dimensions.

okay, time to cook. best of luck!
2005-03-29 6:32 PM
in reply to: #135030

User image

molto veloce mama
CLLinIA - 2005-03-28 8:23 PM
unless you're rich, in which case you should throw down $400 on the BOB Ironman, the Cadillac of jogging strollers for triathletes.

hey, we're not rich, and we just got one! we used our rei dividends and saved over $100! and honestly, the fact that its called the IRONMAN made me shy away at first. i feel self-conscience wearing my timex ironman watch around...much less pushing a giant yellow thing covered in mdots!
2005-03-30 6:00 PM

Rota
thank you so much everyone. hopefully i will be able to make a decission sometime this week. weather is getting great outside and cant wait!!!!
2005-03-31 7:05 PM

Rota
OKAY...whew...this was a hard choice. I just ordered the Dream designer ditto off of www.joggingstroller.com. we also purchased the computer, stroller carrying case, and sun shield. it cost an arm and a leg to ship here...basically the amount of a lower double stroller (eek) but thats the price i have to pay in order to get a stroller overseas. geeze. but yeah...hopefully it will be all that i want and need for right now...and with paying this much hopefully it takes like a week...me wishing over here. but thanks so much everyone for your help...i'll let you know how i like it when i recieve it.
2005-03-31 8:18 PM
in reply to: #136439

User image

molto veloce mama
hey, congratulations! we tested out a dreamer design, as i you know, and it is a very nice stroller (my older daughter was just too tall for it). hope it works well for you. so, the big question - did you get blue or red????

happy running!

2009-03-26 6:52 AM
in reply to: #134857

User image

Master
Charlotte
COgirl - 2005-03-28 2:57 PM

I have a Baby Jogger II and LOVE it!  They're expensive though - all types of jogging strollers are!  I got one that was a "2nd", so I got a decent deal. 

Big wheels = better rolling.  I like the hand brake and also use a strap around my wrist so the babe doesn't roll away!  Mine does not have a swivel wheel (didn't know they existed!), but it works just fine without it.  It collapses so I can put it in the car too. 

+2  I have a Baby Jogger II that I have been using for a year now and it works great.  I picked up mine used on Craigslist for $60.  It looked like it had never been used.   If you look long enough on Craigs List (if you are in a CL area), you can usually find a good deal on a used one. 

I had borrowed an "el-cheapo" Baby Trend jogger and it was very heavy and rolled like a tank compared to the Baby Jogger but I could have gotten by with it if I had never had pushed a nicer one.

I seriously considered buying a BOB Revolution as they are VERY nice but in the end, my wallet said stick with a used one and try it for a while.  I am definately very happy with the Baby Jogger II.

2009-03-26 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

I know you just ordered one, but for future reference to others.

I just got a BabyTrend for free from someone who couldn't patch the front tire. I can't comment how it compares to others, but the price was right. It tracks well and I really like it. Even new, they are cheap enough that if you don't know how much you and/or your kids will like it would be a good start before plunking down serious cash.

I also read and heard from other runners that a fixed front wheel is what you want for running. The swivel wheels are for the mall. It is harder to turn the fixed wheel because you need to lift the front wheel off the ground, but it tracks better when you are running. A few like the BOB have locking front wheels, but check the reviews because I read that some lock better then others. 

Have fun with your new stroller. 

2009-03-26 9:44 AM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
2009-03-26 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
I have a Giant I bought 2nd hand. It's great. I highly recommend it. Lots of coverage for the baby from the sun and rain, good suspension, pretty light weight, hand-brake, bottle holders, storage, adjustable, wheels pop off and it folds up for easy transport.

The front wheel does not pivot but that doesn't really matter. It is very stable off road and has a long wheel base and knobby tires.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/lifestyle/2311/29428/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help from parents on choosing a jogging stroller Rss Feed