General Discussion Triathlon Talk » back pain from swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-21 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Subject: back pain from swimming
I'm new to swimming, I started last October. I've been making very good progress by swimming twice a week throughout the winter and swimming with a coach who helped me get a good technique and allowed me to get faster (not very fast, just faster )

Anyway, last week I 'graduated' to lane 2. The people are bit faster in this lane and I've been doing a good job following them. I'm pushing more though and I can really feel it after the workout.

Since then though, every time I swim, I get a very bad pain in my upper back right near the middle on the left. Seems like a pulled muscle. I swam Thursday and was suppose to swim again this morning but couldn't do it It hurt too much. I've been icing and pooping ibuprofen and trying to get this pain to go away.... I can't run either cause the impact makes it worst.

I'm seeing the chiropractor on Thursday (might try to get in Monday) but in the meantime, should I just stop training? The good news is that this week is recovery week so the workouts will be a bit easier so that might help. I feel bad because I was doing so good and now this!! It's frustrating.

2009-03-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2031747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Subject: RE: back pain from swimming
I'm no expert, but here is my humble opinion:

1) Maybe you are swimming with your head lifted too high? You need to keep your spine in alignment, and if the head is too high, it can cause a strain on the spine.

2) Some back and core strengthening exercises might be in order.

I would also recommend talking to the swim coach. He/she might have some good advice.

Kris
2009-03-21 8:33 PM

User image

Master
If you quickly increased distance and/or intensity, then that could explain the muscle pain. you may want to look into muscle trigger points ... the chiro might be able to help with that. But better to take a few days rest and then go back into it than risking further injury.
2009-03-22 8:19 PM

User image

I'm interested to know your breathing pattern. Are you always breathing to one side? If so, when you get back to swimming, try changing it up. Also, have your coach look at your form, are you dropping one shoulder more than the other, are you crossing over the midline as you enter the water and pull through. Subtle imbalances are often cause for repeitive stress injuries.

Massage, rest, and at this point heat would likely be your best bet. The mention of trigger points is a good one. That is localized areas of muscle spasm...often brought on by repetitive stress. The massage will likely be the ticket.

Gray Stahlman, MD
Tennessee Orthopaedic Alliance
2009-03-23 9:39 AM

User image

i've always gotten low back pain toward the ends of my swims...i think i figured out this weekend it is because i don't rotate my hips the same amount as my shoulders, so my spine/back twist every stroke, as opposed to staying aligned. i wouldn't have realized this until someone pointed it out

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » back pain from swimming Rss Feed