General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Let the Runner go by... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-23 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2035286

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Don't Let the Runner go by...

breckview - 2009-03-23 2:48 PM
klowman - 2009-03-23 11:01 AM ... and this goes on for 100 miles? 
That's the path I ride daily once it melts. It goes about 45 miles out (90 R/T) from where I live, which is the southern end. But you can ride much further west on good, safe roads once it ends. I'm not sure where it technically ends because it winds through Avon and gets slow and annoying so riders move to a good road in Avon. We have other paths too.

And then you can pick it up again and take it at least as far as Glenwood Springs.  We are seriously lucky 'round here.  

2009-03-23 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2035319

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
COSkiGirl - 2009-03-23 2:59 PM

That's the path I ride daily once it melts. It goes about 45 miles out (90 R/T) from where I live, which is the southern end. But you can ride much further west on good, safe roads once it ends. I'm not sure where it technically ends because it winds through Avon and gets slow and annoying so riders move to a good road in Avon. We have other paths too.

And then you can pick it up again and take it at least as far as Glenwood Springs.  We are seriously lucky 'round here.  

You two have got to stop this -- we have enough people in CO already!  Let's keep our secrets to ourselves.

If you're considering moving here, it was only 7 years ago that we got 6' of snow in 2 days and it took us a week with no power to dig out.  And remember the year Gov. Owens said the state was on fire?  And we're already in drought for 2009.  Yep THAT'S Colorado.  You don't want to move here

2009-03-23 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2033727

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member

I like steamboat.

kevin

2009-03-23 11:31 PM
in reply to: #2035699

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
skarl - 2009-03-23 8:20 PM

You two have got to stop this -- we have enough people in CO already!  Let's keep our secrets to ourselves.

If you're considering moving here, it was only 7 years ago that we got 6' of snow in 2 days and it took us a week with no power to dig out.  And remember the year Gov. Owens said the state was on fire?  And we're already in drought for 2009.  Yep THAT'S Colorado.  You don't want to move here

Aw, c'mon ... one more won't hurt.  Well maybe 2 more ... if I moved to Colorado my son would come as well because for some odd reason he is the biggest Colorado Avalanche fan around ... even though we have never been to Colorado ...

I acutally wouldn't mind Utah .. do you think they have the same kinds of trials?

2009-03-24 4:59 AM
in reply to: #2034335

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
breckview - 2009-03-23 10:29 AM

mrheathen - 2009-03-23 8:16 AM

Flexileashes are awful.

Definitely. Well trained dogs know what length leash they are on and know that's the freedom they've been given in that case.

First off, your trail rocks! We did a short bit coming back into Breck last summer after doing Kenosha Pass to Breck on the CO Trail.

Second, your point above is true. My dog knows the difference between the long leash and the 6 foot lead.

But what annoys me most about so many of the people who complain about getting tripped or messed up by others on MUTs is that so often it seems like it is a sense of entitlement that causes it. Yes the person with the dog may be in the wrong, but you're still going to be the one who ends up on the ground if you aren't proactive on avoiding the uncontrolled animal/child. If you just keep going expecting the other party to act the way they should, you're going to end up the loser. Just like someone who walks into the street in front of a moving car because the walker has the right away. You may be right, but you still get hit by a car. (Not aimed at you Breck, I use you/you're in the everyone who complains sense)
2009-03-24 6:25 AM
in reply to: #2035309

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA

breckview - 2009-03-23 4:56 PM
Bioteknik - 2009-03-23 2:45 PM Most mountain bike single track1-2' (at least in these parts) are multi use..
We have a few miles of that too. Like probably hundreds. Plus, no snakes, poison ivy, wasps, heat, humidity, or air pollution. Horses are legal on trails but no one has any because there's no place to store them. One thing we do have is SNOW and lots of it especially today. Mountain biking season phases in as trails melt out and dry.

Looks like my late spring ski trip is lucking out again this year, should be skiing by sunday afternoon if everything goes according to plan and I see plenty of snow in the forcast.  I'll get to try out the trails this July too, should be another fun trip. 

does that paved multiuse trail go to copper mountain?  I think my dad was talkign about taking a bike ride from Breck there and back during the summer trip, and I was wondering how he was going to navigate that. 

Edited by Bioteknik 2009-03-24 6:28 AM

2009-03-24 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2035267

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
blujay65 - 2009-03-23 3:41 PM
CoastTrash - 2009-03-23 3:30 PM
blujay65 - 2009-03-23 11:59 AM

As a constant user of our multi use trail and dog owner, I can relate and I always take extra caution when I see a runner or biker come by when I am walking my dogs. I have found though, that not all runners and bikers are gracious either. It's a small number but bodes negative for the rest of us. When I am running or biking and I come across folks who make an effort to give me space I always thank them. Not only does it let them know I appreciate it but it sets a civil and positive tone that seems to rebound all along the trail.

Ahh the trace!  Yeah sometime folks on there seem to be in there own little world.

Or from some other world, I think.

I rode the Trace for the first time Sunday. Started early Sunday morning, so hardly anybody else out. But traffic certainly picked up as we got closer to the end. We were dodging walkers, cyclists, and runners. We lucked out, as everybody was pretty nice...we tried to make sure we alerted folks as we came by. Only one kid on a bike was acting squirrely (couldn't figure out which side of the trail to be on). Eventually I just said, "I am going to pass on your left," and hoped he knew to stay to his right.

We also have a multi-use trail in Ridgeland (about 4 miles one way) that's very well used. Not suitable for anything more than recreational cycling. Great for running, though. Most people are courteous and have good control of their dogs. When we bring our dog out, I make sure she is walking on the outer edge of the path or in the grass so that she's always out of the way of other runners, walkers, etc. She views everyone she sees as a possible new BFF, so it's a lot of reminding to heel, sometimes, unless someone wants to pet her.

2009-03-24 7:50 AM

User image

Franklin, Wi

Our local trail has another issue similar to dogs-KIDS. Frequently, they listen to their owners less than the dogs do, and at least the dogs mostly have leashes on. So, to the original post. Like seemingly everything in life, people don't always play by the rules. It's unfortunate, but true.  Just drive for a while. I hate when people do not use blinkers, or stop at stop signs (and by stop I mean stop, not slow down to 12 mph). And I am going to guess that at least 25% of those reading this post are guilty (even though you probably don't realize you do it because it is just a normal part of how you drive). My point is this: we can complain about things all we want, but it just raises our blood pressure, makes us more stressed out, and makes us sound like whiners (my wife tells me this when I am driving). The reality is is that we have to adapt our practices to what is around us. I am a dog owner/lover, and the practice of not keeping dogs under close control in this situation also upsets me, but unless I request a special police patrol on the trails, I can't complain. Even at that, it won't solve it. So, lets all take a big collective breath, and be happy that those people are out with their companion, trying to keep themselves healthy, and enjoying the same outdoor beauty that we are. Perhaps when a good opportunity arrises, we will get a chance to politely remind them that others are using the trail, (even though there are plenty of signs around telling them this already), and that it would be appreciated if the dogs would stay to the side of the trail for their own safety, as well as that of the others.

As for the kids comment at the beginning, I just put that there to see what kind of comments that would generate. While it is also true, I do love kids (but don't have any myself).

Mark

2009-03-24 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2036068

User image

Lafayette, CO
klowman - 2009-03-23 10:31 PM
skarl - 2009-03-23 8:20 PM

Aw, c'mon ... one more won't hurt.  Well maybe 2 more ... if I moved to Colorado my son would come as well because for some odd reason he is the biggest Colorado Avalanche fan around ... even though we have never been to Colorado ...

I acutally wouldn't mind Utah .. do you think they have the same kinds of trials?

Oh, oops, you're right Skarl! I just get so excited that I forget myself.   Have I mentioned the traffic to get to and from the mountains?  And Denver's smog inversions?  Oh, and allergies. 

Yes, the trail goes to Copper Mountain, that's the part of the trail I was on in that picture.  

2009-03-24 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2036143

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Bioteknik - 2009-03-24 5:25 AM

Looks like my late spring ski trip is lucking out again this year, should be skiing by sunday afternoon if everything goes according to plan and I see plenty of snow in the forcast. 

You're going to be happy. This has been the worst March in 10+ years skiing but it's snowed now for two days straight and the pattern is perfect for a lot more all week and probably further out into the future. In fact, I'm leaving right now. Powder day!

I'll get to try out the trails this July too, should be another fun trip. 

Do a lot of research on the trails. We have so many miles of mountain biking trails that visitors tend to just wing it and "waste" their time in the strangest places... I say "waste" but being outside here is never a real waste. But some of the trails are just epic and you want to ride the best while you're here. I'm not kidding. On any given day in July you'll have about 50 different options of where to ride. We also have a lot of races going on http://mavsports.com/?id=2.

does that paved multiuse trail go to copper mountain?  I think my dad was talkign about taking a bike ride from Breck there and back during the summer trip, and I was wondering how he was going to navigate that. 

Yeah, Breck to Copper and back is 30-35 miles R/T depending on where you start/end. About 1500' of easy pitch climbing but the the climbing seems much harder because of the altitude and because they are about 5 miles long on constant pitch. It's fantastic. I ride it 5-6 days a week in the summer.
2009-03-24 10:44 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Wow, we don't have any groomed/paved trails, or sidewalks or bike paths or well any families walking or bikers or people walking or dogs on leashes.  Can't really relate.  It would be nice if the cows moved off the road or were on leashes when biking though or if the roads had shoulders or paved areas outside the white line or were smoothe and didn't have 3-4 inch wide cuts going across them every 10 feet like some big sidewalk for cars. 

Ah Universal Egocentricism.     

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Let the Runner go by... Rss Feed  

of 2