General Discussion Triathlon Talk » *NOT* compression tights? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-30 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: *NOT* compression tights?
Recently in Central Park, I've started seeing a ton of people running in these tights--which I at first assumed were simply compression tights, but apparently are not. They have panels of different material that seem strategically placed around the thighs and knees, which looks pretty cool, but also supposedly helps prevent injuries. I saw them in a sports shop today and was mildly intrigued (mildly because the price tag made me back. away. slooowly.) about whether they actually worked.

I won't go into the mumbo jumbo on the site--here's the link: http://www.cw-x.com/ExploreProducts.aspx?gender=womens&product=tigh... --but it sounds good, if not too good to be true.

Any BT'ers use these? What's your take? Are these just the same as compression tights?

Edited by swishyskirt 2009-03-30 7:42 PM

2009-03-30 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2049730

Subject: RE: *NOT* compression tights?
I've wondered about them too. Not that I'd buy them because they're wicked expensive. The idea seems cool though - they're supposted to support the various muscle groups. I have no idea if they work or not, though there are one or two folks on the tri team who have them.
2009-03-30 7:58 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Ugh.  The arms race of tri-technology is sometimes just too much to handle.  What's next, pants that run for you?

Oh, and the cyclist on their site has awful pedaling technique.

2009-03-30 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2049781

New user
Experior - 2009-03-30 7:58 PM

It looks like he's wearing wooden clogs -- must be some other new technology.

2009-03-30 8:06 PM

User image

I have the CW-X Ventilator pants.  Love 'em to pieces.  Not crazy about how they look, but they certainly do the job.  They help support your muscles and minimize vibrations which lead to fatigue.  During a long run, in the latter miles, you can really feel the difference.  Atleast I can.

Case in point, I wore them recently for a very hilly 15k race - lots of punishing downhill pounding.  Throughout the race my legs felt fantastic.  Seconds after the race I took them off and walked around.  Immediatley after taking them off I could feel a few areas aching - my knees especiallu.  So they work beautifully for me.  I wore them today on my bike and they made my legs feel like a million bucks, even a day after running a half marathon.

And they absolutely are compression.  They are actually targeted compression panels.  Honestly, I wish they just made them in a solid black color, as the striped patterns are ridiculous looking, but from my experience - they really do the job of supporting my muscles and staving off fatigue. 

I write this as I wear my Zoot CompressRX Recovery tights.  Thank God for compression.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-03-30 8:10 PM
2009-03-30 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2049791

User image

Expert
New York
chasing3 - 2009-03-30 9:05 PM

Experior - 2009-03-30 7:58 PM

It looks like he's wearing wooden clogs -- must be some other new technology.

lol. I actually went back to check out the cyclist. He also has funny red dots all over his body. Also a new technology.

Honestly, I'm not a very gadgety or techy gal when it comes to my workout gear--shorts, t-shirt, shoes, I'm good. I do have the occasional fancy-schmancy-wicking-omg-they-cost-$15-a-pair??!! running socks for long runs or races (and I also admit I bought an underarmour technical shirt last year--but it was hot pink! I HAD to!).

But, I'm down with anything that helps prevent injuries (hurray, orthotic inserts, etc.!). Now if only I can find 'em on sale for $29.99 somewhere...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » *NOT* compression tights? Rss Feed