General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disc Wheel - Weight Limit Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-03 7:15 PM

User image

APO, Marshall Islands
Subject: Disc Wheel - Weight Limit Question

Hey guys...

I recently ordered and received a HED disc wheel, only to find out after the fact that it has a weight limit.  Shame on me for not doing proper research... lesson learned for sure.  My issue is in the fact that I am in an extremely remote part of the world and it takes 2 weeks to ship anything to me.  My race is in just over 3 weeks, so I should be good to order another wheel and get it here in time... but it will be cutting it close as I have seen some orders take up to a month.

So I weigh 215 lbs and the wheel has a 190 lb limit.  I suppose I should call HED to get the official scoop, but I wanted to hear opinions and experiences here as well.  What is the likely scenario if I ride this wheel at 25 lbs over the weight limit?  Is it going last 2000 miles vs. 5000, or is it prone to catastrophic failure 5 miles into my first ride?  Any feedback you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

This is the wheel I purchased:

http://www.triathletesports.com/HED-Standard-Disc-700c-p/papawh0026.htm

Sure wish they would have been thorough enough to include something is critical as a weight limit in the description.  Not all triathletes with more money than sense weigh less than 190 lbs.  ;-)

2009-04-04 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2061730

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Disc Wheel - Weight Limit Question

There are recommended limits for lots of things but you will see that there are plenty of people that use the equipment regardless.

But if you have any sort of failure/warranty issue, then don't expect it to be covered.

2009-04-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2061730

Bunbury
Subject: RE: Disc Wheel - Weight Limit Question

should be fine as long as you don't wheelie too much! Most recovery gear in the 4wd industry has a load rating, during a recent product test these load ratings where put to the test to see how accurate they where, it turns out some where 20% stronger than their rating while others where up to 50% stronger, just a slightly off topic perspective, manufacturers would be silly to claim a max weight of 190lb if it couldn't handle someone 30lb or even 50lb heavier thinking of bumps pot holes, kerbs and other obstacles there would be more than static weight over the axle affecting the load rating, as long as you didn't hit anything too harshly I feel it would be ok...personally just my 2c

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disc Wheel - Weight Limit Question Rss Feed