General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mild foot tendonitis - race May 3rd? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-04 5:00 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Subject: mild foot tendonitis - race May 3rd?

Hi:

For some unknown reason (I wasn't going harder or faster - in fact I was being lazy doing a 45 mile run at like 13 minutes per mile on the treadmill one morning with a zero degree incline!) I now have mild foot tendonitis according to my podiatrist.  He told me to take Motrin (actually gave me a prescription for Feldene if needed) and, if I could afford it, lay off for a few days.

At first the pain was radiating up my ankle (feels really 'stiff' and hurts when I get up - yes I have plantar fasciitis but haven't had it for months and I know what it feels like and this isn't it - it is on the top of my foot) and about 1/3 up my leg.  So I figured - mild shin splint - better lay off.  So it went away going up my leg, and I think is gradually going away (hurts less in the morning) but still feels stiff.  Been icing my foot a little.  Oh I should be doing that right now!

Supposed to do a 6 mile run tomorrow but thinking of skipping it.  It's been one week since I ran.

Anyway, here's my question: my race (Wildflower Olympic distance) is May 3rd!!  Do you think this taking time off will badly affect me or is it better to keep running.  My podiatrist didn't tell me to stop running all together and his diagnosis was mild foot tendonitis and he could not elicit pain through palpation - it really just feels "real stiff - boardlike" on the top of my foot.  But he did say if I could to lay off.  Since it HAS been slowly going away, I thought I would skip the 6 mile race tomorrow and just do another 2 hour bike (doing a 2 hour bike today with tri team) and stop running until it hopefully went away.

What say ye?

Any advice would be appreciated.  :-D  I know you all are not doctors - just wondering about experiences and so forth. I am a brand new novice triathlete.  I am almost always worried.  Bleah.

dbw27

(By the way, I am super worried about reaching my fundraising minimum for TNT - it is just added stress.  I am 1k under and need cash by April 15. If anyone wants to donate: www.wix.com/danett27/Running-the-race.  At least check out my website.  My story is supposed to be super inspiring. (people tell me).  Sorry for plug.  Just starting to beg is all.  It is for a great cause! :-D )

2009-04-04 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2062154

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: mild foot tendonitis - race May 3rd?
If it's mild, just take a week or so off and see what happens. You prob shouldn't run until the pain subsides. Taking a week off now will be better for your race than trying to train through it. You could also replace your runs with aquajogs and barely skip a beat. Good luck!
2009-04-04 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2062575

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Subject: RE: mild foot tendonitis - race May 3rd?
Aquajogs!  Now why didn't I think of that?!

:-)  Thanks so much. I have decided not to run until it goes away. Better in the long run!

Thanks again for input. :-)

dbw27
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mild foot tendonitis - race May 3rd? Rss Feed