General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Favorite Core Exercises? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-10-09 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2085047

Subject: RE: Favorite Core Exercises?
My personal favorite thing to do is a hanging leg raise - make sure you do it hanging down from a pull-up bar, because it's a world of difference from the straps or that captain's chair thing.   This is a pretty badass move, and has the bonus of working your grip, which comes in handy for deadlifts.

Once you get good at it, you can add in the "windshield wiper", which is a leg raise followed by rotation of your legs to the left and right.  I'm still working on this one!

2009-10-10 12:34 AM
in reply to: #2452376

Elite
Denver, Colorado
nscrbug - 2009-10-09 5:51 PM

In reference to deadlifts as a core exercise...would this be the "stiff-legged" or "Romanian" variety?  Or does it not really matter which kind you do?

Any exercise that requires you to stand on your own two feet and support a load works your core. Any deadlift variation is good for the "anterior core," i.e., abs, and of course is excellent for the "posterior core," i.e., the lower back.
2009-10-10 4:11 AM
in reply to: #2452643

User image

Veteran
MikeTheBear - 2009-10-10 12:34 AM
nscrbug - 2009-10-09 5:51 PM In reference to deadlifts as a core exercise...would this be the "stiff-legged" or "Romanian" variety?  Or does it not really matter which kind you do?
Any exercise that requires you to stand on your own two feet and support a load works your core. Any deadlift variation is good for the "anterior core," i.e., abs, and of course is excellent for the "posterior core," i.e., the lower back.

+1.

"Core" work doesn't have to be a lot of crazy moves and stuff. If you concentrate on the basic olympic lifts you will really see improvements. Use the crunches and leglifts as additional work, not the main work you do.
2009-10-10 9:59 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

. I like the pluck & extend with the fit ball.  Lie on the mat and slowly pass the ball from the legs to the hands, a full set is passing it leg-hand then back.  I do 3 sets of 15 of that move with regular crunches, leg up crunches, the hip lift, oblique crunch, oblique leg lifts, superman, half up twist with a medicine ball or 10 # wt, heel touch, 3 variations on planks and bicycle crunches 2-3 x a week.  Takes me about half an hour each time

2009-10-14 8:27 AM

Push ups with each hand on a 8lb medicine ball (one for each hand) , and toes of One foot on a large swiss ball. really need to engage your core or you fall right away..
2009-10-14 10:56 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
I have more of a lifting  background so I like deadlifts for the lower back portion of the core.  You also get some benefit to your abs just because you need to tighten them.  The deadlift is the king of exercises many would agree and this is perfect for core strength.  Just be careful with it.

2009-10-14 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2090334

User image

Extreme Veteran
gopennstate - 2009-04-16 9:44 PM

Good core work on the stability ball for me.  Pikes on the ball.  Pushups on the ball (either with my hands on it or my feet), knee drives, roll-outs, all kinds of variations.  Core killer for me is hands on the floor (like you're in a push-up), feet up on the ball so that just your laces are on it, not your shins.  Lift one leg up and use the other that is on the ball to drive your knee forward and back, or life one foot up and do push-ups, all kinds of good stuff.

And someone else mentioned, don't forget your back!  Huge for core!

I like the TGU! 

The stability ball is great. I like doing dumbbell chest press and shoulder press on there as well. To make it more challenging, do alternating when doing the shoulder press.

Also the (side to side/front to back) balance board is great for core exercises. Front and lateral dumbbell raises (alternating) can be really challenging. I stick to lighter weight on anything I do on the ball or the balance board. Stick to strict form.
2009-11-13 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Surprise, AZ
This is my favorite and you will turn heads when you do it but it is pretty hard.

I do plank with my toes on a physio ball then my body is straight and I place my hands on another physio ball of the same size.
(you are balnaced on 2 physio balls)

I either hold it in place or I do push-ups in this position.

I suggest tp try at homebefore you make yourself look like a fool in the gym

My second favorite
Walk overs
Place a bosu ball upside down so the flat side is up.
Go into a push up position
your toes will never move.
Start with 2 hands on the floor on the right side of the bosu
Lift left hand onto bosu the right, take left hand off the bosu onto the left side of the bosu ball then you right hand follows
Then reverse the process and move right hand on topof bosu then left hand, then lower right hand to the right side of the bosu and left follows.

This is a very chalenging activity as well.

Edited by Focker 2009-11-13 1:46 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Favorite Core Exercises? Rss Feed  

of 2