General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steering height on a stationary bike ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-06 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Subject: Steering height on a stationary bike ?
Hi There,

I winter-train in a Gym since a couple of years on stationary bikes. Though I noticed that almost nobody does that, I always try to set the bike so the relative heights of the steering and the saddle emulates my roadbike setup (for me, it places the steering a couple of inches below the saddle).

Today, a guy went to me and said that he thought my steering was too low. Though he's some kind of a as been or a wannabe, it made me wonder if I used the right position on the stationary bike. To prove him wrong, I searched over the Internet for pictures of stationary bikes with "proper" steering vs saddle height, but couldn't find any... (see links). It seems like everybody sets the steering above the saddle height (as I noticed at the gym...).

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Exercise_Equipment-Schwinn_Spinner_Pro_S...
http://usedgymequipment.com/schwinnspinningprobikesdemo.htm
http://www.schwinnfitness.com/products/?function=detail&id=24

Despite of that, I can find lots of pictures of road bikes with steering position being below the saddle.

What do you guys think of that ? Is there a specific configuration on a stationary bike according to which the steering must be at a higher position than on a road bike ? I feel good on the stationary bike but I would just like to bring some arguments to the wannabes (or say nothing if I'm wrong!!! )

Thanks a lot for your inputs !

Christian.

2005-04-06 8:48 AM
in reply to: #138638

Subject: RE: Steering height on a stationary bike ?
I set the bars below the saddle...I feel it gives a better workout, and mimics the roadbike feel. I like the feeling of being "hunched" over more, and also feel that when the bars are set too high, like so many of the stationary bikes, it hurts my back. It's just not a natural position, I think. I have my own stationary bike, and it has a long bar that I can push down to adjust the steering part.

So--I agree....keep the steering lower than the saddle!
2005-04-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: #138638

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Your bars should be below your saddle.
How much below is determined by your own flexability.
IMO, anyone who would ping on someone because of the way they set up a spin bike seems pretty dodgy (to put it mildly), particularly when the ping-er is WRONG.
2005-04-06 9:19 PM
in reply to: #138733

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2005-04-06 10:37 AM
IMO, anyone who would ping on someone because of the way they set up a spin bike seems pretty dodgy (to put it mildly), particularly when the ping-er is WRONG.

Yeah... I didn't really think they were right but when you're the only one "doin'it right" you start to wonder about the thing... It's like being on a highway and suddenly you notice that everybody else goes the wrong way...

Thanks for the inputs Guys !
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steering height on a stationary bike ? Rss Feed