United States
Devine Sports
55F / 13C
Total Time = 3h 05m 22s
Overall Rank = 3877/4125
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 317/340
Pre-race routine:

Woke-up at 4:45 after bad night of sleep... showered, coughed, etc... took sudafed, did the nasonex thing...ate boiled egg, banana, carnberry juice...drove to parking, crammed onto train... got to start line... looked for tri group... found disbanded tri group after photo :(... debated waiting for toilets and decided to head to start and eat the time by using toilet on route (I learned that that may not be a good idea)....

Did I mention that I had NO voice this morning??? Perhaps that should have been a clue to not run????
Event warmup:

uh...
Run
  • 2h 55m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

My watch showed my toilet time as right at 10 minutes... so in actuality I did do it under 3...
Starting - Not long after starting (within first few minutes) I realized that I forgot to use my inhaler... so I hauled it out and took a few puffs right in the beginning...
Mile one... showed a difference of three minutes between my watch and the clock...NTL, I had a 10min pace
Shortly after mile one or two, Amy caught up to me... we hung out for just a tad... I really needed to pee
I was starting to warm-up and thought that okay at mile 3 I'm stopping to pee and I'll take my long-sleeve off after the potty (I probably could've pushed waiting to pee, but I really wanted the shirt off and didn't want to have to deal with it in the porta-potty) B/t waiting and peeing that was almost 10 minutes....I got "cold"...after peeing I took off my shirt before I had warmed up again.. bad move b/c then my arms stayed cold the remainder of the race...
Mile 4... WORK CALLS!!!! WTF!!! To ask me a question that I answered YESTERDAY!!!! Okay, so actually they texted, but it's harder for me to text than talk while "running"...
After the work call I notice that I'm starting to feel my periformis tightening up.. and I'm not even to mile five... so I stretch... I also took the time to get my iPod out as that the crowds are thinning and I'm getting bored... Also, i thought I'd take the opportunit to use the bridge rails to stretch while getting my msic together...
Miles 5 through 9 were uneventful...
though I was jealous when the kids carrying their snowbaords to head up the mtn crossed the route in front of me...(tomorrow is the last day the chairs are running at Brighton :( )
At mile 9 I realize that I do believe I'm a little ahead of last Sundays pace, and I feel good... then all of a sudden I hit a wall...My heading felt like it was compressing. I kept reaching on top of my head thinking my glass were there... but it was just tension in my head :(
I was passed by a race walker tha I realized was on eof the ladies from the ski clinic... caught up to her for a short chat...
I pushed as much as I could through mile 10, then walked most of 11... the last mile I tried to run...
I did tend to spit ALOT more... I was coughing up these huge clumps...I think I might have lost a lung somewhere along the way... I am having a difficult time breathing... :(
The last few yards I sprinted... and it felt good...
What would you do differently?:

Not get sick immediately before.
NOt host a r-ball tourney the week of...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through, grabbed a banana and choc milk, found Amy, tried calling hubby, stretched a little, met up with Amy's clan at fountain to say high, then high-tailed it to son's karate belt testing. (to be followed by work until 9pm)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sinus infection, chest congestion, headachiness, work stress of tourney this week, work calling during race, and of course, lack of training...

Last updated: 2009-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:55:22 | 13.1 miles | 13m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/340
Overall: 0/4125
Performance:
Course: Downhill first 3... level... small uphill on 11...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-18 11:55 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: Salt Lake City Half Marathon

2009-04-20 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2094781

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Salt Lake City Half Marathon

OK lets talk about super girl! I think you did great considering your illness!

2009-04-20 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2094781

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Salt Lake City Half Marathon

Great race Heather!  Super effort in the face of being sick!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salt Lake City Half Marathon Rss Feed