General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool PR & getting frustrated with the Y pool people Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-21 7:01 PM

Master
Subject: Pool PR & getting frustrated with the Y pool people
Had a good swim yesterday

70 50-yard laps in exactly 60 minutes. Works out to be 1:52/100M. My longest AND fastest swim yet! Woo hoo! I'm still slow compared to some of you guys but I'm coming along!

Sadly though I am getting frustrated with the Y:
1) "Unauthorized lane entries" - a bunch of times in the past few weeks, I have had people just enter the lane without asking or notifying me. I very rarely have the lane to myself (maybe 5 or 10 mins here or there) but without fail someone just hops in and starts swimming. WTF? If I have the lane to myself I use the whole lane. You have to enter from the shallow end and WAIT for me to come back so I see and acknowledge you. I just feel the etiquette is simple: always enter from the shallow end and just hop in and WAIT until you are acknowledged for safety sake. I know there has been a lot of discussion on pool etiquette here but I don't understand how you can just hop in and go. Obviously, if circles are already being swum then it's not as big a deal if you just hop in and get into the flow of the circle

2) Not understanding what splitting the lane means - I had a kid who was swimming so I hopped in and waited for him to come to the shallow end. We chatted for a few seconds and I asked if he didn't mind if we split the lane and showed the motion with my hands. He nodded in understanding as though he'd done it a ton of times before. He didn't understand and swam a circle. We almost collided after my flip turn (saw his yellow cap at the last second)

3) Swimming in the wrong lane - When the Y has open swim there is a Slow, Medium, and Fast lane. Now, I like to think I'm reasonable and have no problem when people want to "push it" a little (i.e should be in the medium lane but go in the fast lane). It's not like I'm a speed daemon or anything but if you lazily want to do breast stroke and take 2:00m per lap you DON'T belong in the fast lane. That's pretty clear cut.

It's part a safety issue and part that it's extremely hard to do any kind of drills or workouts. Sometimes when I go in the morning there can be as many as 4 people in the lane. There's no where and no time to stop for rest if workout calls for it. Well that's it, just wanted to vent a bit.

Edited by merlin2375 2009-04-21 7:06 PM

2009-04-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2101278

Hutchinson
Subject: RE: Pool PR & getting frustrated with the Y pool people
Grats on the PR! Keep it up!

But yea there's always problems at the Y. Where I live there isn't terribly alot of people, but there's always the few times when it happens to me too.

I'd say be a bully, it's an OWS practice getting through crowds. lol jk
2009-04-21 8:05 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

merlin2375 - 2009-04-21 8:01 PM Had a good swim yesterday

70 50-yard laps in exactly 60 minutes. Works out to be 1:52/100M. My longest AND fastest swim yet! Woo hoo! I'm still slow compared to some of you guys but I'm coming along!

Sadly though I am getting frustrated with the Y:
1) "Unauthorized lane entries" - a bunch of times in the past few weeks, I have had people just enter the lane without asking or notifying me. I very rarely have the lane to myself (maybe 5 or 10 mins here or there) but without fail someone just hops in and starts swimming. WTF? If I have the lane to myself I use the whole lane. You have to enter from the shallow end and WAIT for me to come back so I see and acknowledge you. I just feel the etiquette is simple: always enter from the shallow end and just hop in and WAIT until you are acknowledged for safety sake. I know there has been a lot of discussion on pool etiquette here but I don't understand how you can just hop in and go. Obviously, if circles are already being swum then it's not as big a deal if you just hop in and get into the flow of the circle

2) Not understanding what splitting the lane means - I had a kid who was swimming so I hopped in and waited for him to come to the shallow end. We chatted for a few seconds and I asked if he didn't mind if we split the lane and showed the motion with my hands. He nodded in understanding as though he'd done it a ton of times before. He didn't understand and swam a circle. We almost collided after my flip turn (saw his yellow cap at the last second)

3) Swimming in the wrong lane - When the Y has open swim there is a Slow, Medium, and Fast lane. Now, I like to think I'm reasonable and have no problem when people want to "push it" a little (i.e should be in the medium lane but go in the fast lane). It's not like I'm a speed daemon or anything but if you lazily want to do breast stroke and take 2:00m per lap you DON'T belong in the fast lane. That's pretty clear cut.

It's part a safety issue and part that it's extremely hard to do any kind of drills or workouts. Sometimes when I go in the morning there can be as many as 4 people in the lane. There's no where and no time to stop for rest if workout calls for it. Well that's it, just wanted to vent a bit.

Congrats on the PR! Very nice swim. I get frustrated with some of the Y swimmers as well but I imagine that I frustrate just as many of them. I'll just comment on the points you brought up and give you my take on them.

1) Unauthorized lane entries - I never knew I needed an "authorization" to start swimming in a lane. When I enter a lane I usually dive in from the deep end when another swimmer is at the other end of the pool and I glide underwater with a light kick to the other end of the pool. This allows the other swimmer see that there is another swimmer in his lane, I don't think there is a need to wait for an opportunity to speak to the other swimmer and ask if I can join him. If I am swimming in a lane by myself I automatically swim in circles to make it easier for someone to join in without interrupting my workout.

2) Splitting lanes - I automatically circle swim unless someone secifically asks me to swim sides. I honestly don't think there is ever a need to swim sides. When people swim sides it makes it very awkward for a new swimmer to enter your lane. I hate going into a pool and see people sitting on the bench waiting for "a lane" because they are "all taken", and there are 12 people in the pool. The maximum capacity is 235 people and the pool is "full" with 12 people. Swim circles and it's easy to swim with 3 or 4 people in each lane.

3) Slow-Med-Fast lanes - This is so subjective and is just a guideline to try to get people to swim with others of the same speed. If you are the first person in the pool at a 1:52/100 pace, start in the middle lane and let people go where they will when they see your pace. If you see the "slow" lane filling up and noone in the "fast" lane the YOU are the fast swimmer of the day and you should move over and let the faster swimmers in the "slow" lane move to the medium lane. (In a perfect world of course)

Just some thoughts.

2009-04-21 8:07 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Congrats on the PR!

Yeah, I suppose it is frustrating to have those things happen, but I can also see things from a different point of view.  I swim at three different pools. and the customs and expectations are vastly different at each.  For example, at one, the lanes are typically crowded, and it is just understood that you circle swim and that people will jump into the lane.  Even if I'm alone in a lane, I just automatically circle swim, 'cause I know I won't be alone for long. 

And as for slow, medium, fast lanes, unless there are time ranges posted on the lanes or the pool is frequented only by competitive swimmers who tend to have a common understanding, then I don't see the point.  People just don't all have the same definition of these terms.  There's a guy that I see frequently who swims 25 yards in about 90 seconds, no kidding.  (I don't know how he does it.  I would drown.)  I suppose to him I'd be considered 'fast'.  I consider myself slow.  So which lane do I get in?  Sure I could watch the swimmers already in the lanes.  Supposing I'm equal to the 'fast' guys on this day.  Then a truly fast person shows up, and everything goes to pot.  I just don't see how that system is going to work out well, except under the conditions I mentioned.

Oh, and were you really surprised by a kid misunderstanding but being too embarrassed to admit it?  If so, I'm guessing you don't have kids.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just exploring an alternative point of view.
2009-04-21 8:15 PM

Master
Thanks for the responses. I definitely see the other side of the argument for certain. It's a really difficult thing this pool etiquette. I almost posted this yesterday after the PR but I wanted to wait then the same stuff happened today. You guys make some really good points. I make a point of it to try and keep up on the lane statuses by poking my head up and moving when it's appropriate (sometimes to the fast lane, and sometimes to the slow lane). If the fast lane has 2 people and the medium lane has 1 and looking at the swimmer I should be in the fast lane, should I hop in the fast lane anyways?

I just joke around in my head calling it "unauthorized swim entries". I'm not arrogant at all about sharing. I don't mind at all. I understand everyone has paid to belong to the Y and it's only fair but it's just safety for me. I am pounding down the center of the lane and I really don't want to smash my head into someone else! Today the water was a bit hazy (I don't know why) but visibility wasn't that great so you really don't see someone until you're right there. If you've never had a close call, let me tell you, it's not fun.  Should I just never use the full lane even if I have it?

ETA: oh yeah I can't wait for OWS, everyone is going in the SAME direction

Edited by merlin2375 2009-04-21 8:18 PM
2009-04-21 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX
Again, great job with the PR...that's a lot of laps in 60 minutes!

I must say that I agree with you sentiments.  It is not only common courtesy, but an important safety issue to make sure the person you're about to share a lane with is aware that you're getting in.  Maybe I'm too focused, but I'm only looking around at the end of each lap to make sure I am where I think I am and to avoid any lane crossers. I'm thinking too much about my form and on keeping my head down. 

Secondly, I agree that if you're sharing with just 1 other swimmer, that swimming "sides" is VERY much preferred.  Swimming circles only makes sense if you're about the same speed or you have more than 2 swimmers.  If your pool *always* fills up and will have multiple swimmers in a single lane, then perhaps you should just start with the circle swim since other people will be presumably be joining your lane.  In which case, the previous etiquette of making sure the other swimmer acknowledges you wouldn't be necessary as you're already going in circles and wouldn't need the introduction.

I'm pretty lucky.  The Y I go to has 8 lanes that are generally open with the exception of certain hours when they have swim lessons and/or swim team.  You generally can have your own lane and rarely have more than 2 to a lane.

2009-04-21 11:56 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

If I ever go for a swim in a pool outside of Australia Im going to get in SO much trouble!!!

Because all of our pools (at least where I swim) are generally pretty busy getting a lane to yourself is unheard of - you get to the pool and you jump in the most appropriate lane for your speed (Slow/Medium/Fast) based on the the people in the water.

Then you swim... politeness says you try to swim with people of similar speeds and space out the lane so you arent turning right infront of someone etc but people do it to me all the time!

All pools here are circular swimming - thats just how its done so on the odd occassion Ive had a single lane I swim that way. This works so if someone joins the lane they can hop right in and start swimming safely. To me it seems safer to circles swim because then there is always room for other people to join the lane without stopping anothers workout - but this is always what Ive grown up with too!

I aways have what I call 'people issues' where Im stuck behind someone in a lane or (even worse) someone who I get stuck behind and then wont let me swim through (that is BAD pool ettiquette). Having said that my main swim location is an outdoor 50m pool with 8 lanes across and even then I have had as many as 11+ people in the one lane! I also find there is a small portion of the population who think they are faster than they are....

Always pick the lane appropriate for your speed or if there are free lanes only use them as long as they are free then return to the appropriate lane for your speed... otherwise I will deliberately do sprints to get around you until you get the message... ok Im not that bad but Ive thought about it!

I will say busy pools make swiming sets on a time based interval really hard... I cant often do those kinds of workouts at the times I swim because with the amount of people in the lane I try to avoid getting stuck behind someone who is slower than me deliberatly (by say waiting a full rest interval) and because the constanct changes in pace just arent pratical when the lanes are that busy.

I also find that I sometimes change lanes during a workout - so might go down a lane for drills and up a lane for sprint sets. While its not ideal at least Im swimming the right speed in the right lanes for my workout even if I have to change a few times.

With winter setting in here i have noticed the pool is a little quieter... especially when its raining...guess not everyone things swimming in an outdoor pool in winter is fun!

Congrats on your PB and I hope you find lots of creative ways to make the pool situation work for you! Good Luck!

2009-04-22 12:31 AM
in reply to: #2101556

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jtbaldwin - 2009-04-21 7:14 PM Again, great job with the PR...that's a lot of laps in 60 minutes!

Secondly, I agree that if you're sharing with just 1 other swimmer, that swimming "sides" is VERY much preferred.  Swimming circles only makes sense if you're about the same speed or you have more than 2 swimmers.  If your pool *always* fills up and will have multiple swimmers in a single lane, then perhaps you should just start with the circle swim since other people will be presumably be joining your lane.  In which case, the previous etiquette of making sure the other swimmer acknowledges you wouldn't be necessary as you're already going in circles and wouldn't need the introduction.

I'm pretty lucky.  The Y I go to has 8 lanes that are generally open with the exception of certain hours when they have swim lessons and/or swim team.  You generally can have your own lane and rarely have more than 2 to a lane.

I've always understood the etiquette to be as above:  2 people = swim sides, 3 or more = circles.  Circling introduces the issue of differing speeds and no good comes of that.  Splitting the lane when there are two people avoids that.  (Not great if one person decides on a few laps of 'fly, of course, but otherwise just fine.)

One thing I appreciate about the public pool I train at is that it has very early lap swim hours and lots of lanes...never seen more than two people per lane except in masters classes.  In spite of that, I always just automatically swim to one side of the lane when I do endurance sets, since people will just jump in without warning and I'd rather not run into them.
2009-04-22 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
We circle swim all the time, even if alone in the lane. Cause over the course of an hour you might be alone, then sharing with 4 other people then back to alone again. Who wants to constantly be adjusting to sides, then circle, then sides again - horrible! I don't want to stop and have a conversation every time someone new comes in. Circles are fine as you can always pass, even if it's busy.

Super slows in the fast lane is annoying but you pass them with a lot of splashing they usually get the idea and move over.

2009-04-22 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2101746

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
tcovert - 2009-04-22 12:31 AM
I've always understood the etiquette to be as above:  2 people = swim sides, 3 or more = circles. 

I always just automatically swim to one side of the lane when I do endurance sets, since people will just jump in without warning and I'd rather not run into them.

Ditto on all of this. Generally how it works in all of the YMCAs in my area.
2009-04-22 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

tcovert - 2009-04-22 12:31 AM
I've always understood the etiquette to be as above:  2 people = swim sides, 3 or more = circles. 

I always just automatically swim to one side of the lane when I do endurance sets, since people will just jump in without warning and I'd rather not run into them.

X3

Edited by Pegasus1731 2009-04-22 1:37 PM

2009-04-22 2:41 PM

New user
At the Y were i as swimming they have a sign showing circle swim. I go at night so maybe its different in the morning
2009-04-22 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
You have to enter from the shallow end and WAIT for me to come back so I see and acknowledge you.

I agree with most everything you said, but I would change this to "you should enter at the end the person is regularly stopping at".  Not everyone starts at the shallow end.

I am a deep end starter.  Nothing annoys me more than when all my stuff is at the deep end and someone waits at the shallow end ON the deck where I can't see them then gets mad that I didn't see them.  Uh, how about you stand at the end where I pop up and then maybe I'd see you?
2009-04-22 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
It's a problem everywhere. That "just getting in and swimming" thing is my major peeve, too.
2009-04-22 3:21 PM

Yeah, I think we all get frustrated and potentially frustrate others. I usually just try to be courteous and friendly (even to people who are not swimming with proper etiquette). Better than getting into an argument, you know?

At the Y my wife goes to, the lifeguard is pretty alert and will keep order in the pool by moving people into different lanes by their speeds. I like that idea. But at Y I go to (we live in NYC, so we have quite a few to choose from) it's a free for all!
2009-04-22 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Each Y, and really most pools, should have a lap etiquette posted or written for anyone that asks.  I am not only a swimmer at my local Y but also an employee so I have seen it from both sides.  Our Y had lap etiquette and it is clearly posted so there cannot be any arguments.   We do have people arguing but it is easy to correct because the rules are posted.  Two people in  a lane swim side by side.  Three or more circle swim and each lane is marked by pace.  If someone is walking in the fast lane and two or more people are looking to swim laps in that lane,  the walker has to move.  The speed is relative and sometimes you just have to deal with it.  As someone mentioned,  if there are 3 people already in the medium lane circle swimming and only one in the fast lane, you better believe I am getting into the fast lane.  

To be very honest,  when I am swimming in a lane to myself, which rarely happens, I do not take the middle of the lane because I know soon there will be someone else entering to swim with me.  I also don't want someone to interrupt my laps by trying to get my attention before they start their laps.  I think that if you are swimming in a busy pool, I feel it is my responsibility for my own safety to keep an eye out on who is in a lane with me and potentially who might be joining me in the lane because I cannot rely on other people to make their intentions clear.  I practice my sighting by scanning he pool deck as I am approaching one end  to see if anyone else is getting ready to join me.

2009-04-22 3:25 PM

User image

Regular

Where I swim there are a few swimmers that don't stop.  So, what I do is get on the end and kinda wave my hand under the water as they approach (hello - I am here).  Otherwise if I were to wait for them to come up for air I would be there all day.

What I have done with a few regulars though is just talked about it and we all just agreed that if one person is alone in a lane that they can jump right in a go - no need to wait or anything.  It is nice if you can find some regulars like that.

2009-04-22 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2103425

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
jesse_d - 2009-04-22 4:25 PM

Where I swim there are a few swimmers that don't stop.  So, what I do is get on the end and kinda wave my hand under the water as they approach (hello - I am here).  Otherwise if I were to wait for them to come up for air I would be there all day.

What I have done with a few regulars though is just talked about it and we all just agreed that if one person is alone in a lane that they can jump right in a go - no need to wait or anything.  It is nice if you can find some regulars like that.

When I'm getting into an occupied lane I just sit on the edge with my legs dangling in the water and wait for the person to reach that end; at that point I figure they know I'm there so I start swimming.
2009-04-22 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Great job on the PR!
Those reasons are all reasons why I changed gyms. I got sick of never being able to get a lap lane for more than a 30 minute block. I go to 24 hour fitness now and have not had any issues- and there are only 3 hours per week when the pool is closed for some type of class. The rest is all lap swim all the time.
2009-04-22 5:07 PM

User image

Spanish Fork, UT

Being new to swimming in a competitive capacity I should probably apologize to everyone at my pool.  I had no idea there was pool etiquette in regards to entering a swimming lane etc.  This thread has been very revealing and helpful.

2009-04-22 6:24 PM

Regular

These are all good points, but I'll tell you what irritates me.  I belong to a fitness center with a pool, just 4 25yd lanes.  Usually, there isn't a problem, I'm the only one in the pool-nice right?  But on several occasions, there have been 4  people in the pool.  1 per lane-not a problem.  2 are actually swimming laps.  The other 2 are friends, 1 in each lane who swim to opposite ends of the pool, hang on the wall for 10 minutes, BSing.  Get out, go to the whirlpool, (this is when I choose a lane), then get upset that I've "taken" their lane and proceed to try to kick me out of the lane by swimming in the middle.  I have no problem sharing, but I expect the same courtesy.  If they want to chat and idly "swim", they can share their own lane.  
That's my rant.

2009-04-22 6:42 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
There is more to etiquette than getting in and out of a lane. I have shared a lane with people that have just stopped in the lane to chat with someone in the next lane. Also, have been hit by people exiting the pool by crossing lanes to get to the steps without looking. Been hit by people who try to exit using this technique but attempt to swim under me and don't quite make it.

The pool I swim in can be multi-use and will have some lanes roped while other area used for other things so have also been hit by noodles, beach balls, and kayaks which always seem to cross over the ropes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool PR & getting frustrated with the Y pool people Rss Feed