General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming against the tide Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-22 6:20 AM

Veteran
Subject: Swimming against the tide

Question about the start of a tri with an ocean swim.

If the tide or ocean current is pushing swimmers down the shore and there is a risk of being pushed so far that you would have to struggle to swim back against the tide to make the buoy turn would it be proper to run up the beach say 100 feet or more before getting in the water to compensate for the tide to make it easier to get to the buoy?

Would this be against the rules?  Has anyone ever done this in a race?

2009-04-22 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2101869

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Subject: RE: Swimming against the tide
I did that exact thing a few years back for an ocean swim Oly.  They actually started us up the beach about 150 feet (and I took it way wide) because the earlier waves were missing the buoy.
2009-04-22 7:52 AM

User image

Expert

rockrunner - 2009-04-22 7:20 AM

Question about the start of a tri with an ocean swim.

If the tide or ocean current is pushing swimmers down the shore and there is a risk of being pushed so far that you would have to struggle to swim back against the tide to make the buoy turn would it be proper to run up the beach say 100 feet or more before getting in the water to compensate for the tide to make it easier to get to the buoy?

Would this be against the rules?  Has anyone ever done this in a race?

What you are talking about is a great idea.  However, you might want to scope out the water conditions with a warm up swim pre-race just to be sure how hard the currents are and where they are going to land you.

Something else to consider.  I have seen race directors competely change the direction of an ocean swim from year to year based on the way the wind and current are going.  Most times they want to help the field out. 

Also to your other questions.  No it's not against the rules unless they have a designated are for you to launch from.  But in any event you can run down the beach to where you want to get in and then go from there. Your going to be much faster on foot then the herd of swimmers way off course by the current.  So even though your in the water later than the main field you should be ahead of them with less effort by the turn....  I've done it many times while swimming on the beach patrol... 

Any questions let me know.

2009-04-22 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Watch the first wave.  At my first tri it was an ocean swim, and we have a very consistent North current here.  The current was really ripping that day so we saw the first wave take off in a straight line and many folks in that group struggled to make it around the first buoy.  The rest of us in the subsequent waves made our way about 100 yards up-current on the beach so we could let the current carry us to the buoy.
2009-04-22 8:20 PM

Veteran

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

2009-04-23 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
Pay close attention to the RD at the pre-race meeting.  They'll explain the shore target you should be aiming at.  For some races such as Escape From Alcatraz, your target is a good 1/4 mile away from the swim exit.  You wind up swimming a long, sweeping arc and have no choice.  There's no swimming back against that current and you wouldn't want to try.  There are always racers hitting shore way off and stumbling along the shoreline to get back to the swim exit.

The answer to your question is in most cases, it's allowed to run along the shore to get to the swim exit.  You have to cross the timing mat and how you get there is up to you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming against the tide Rss Feed