General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help!! Cannot change flat tire Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-24 1:04 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Subject: Help!! Cannot change flat tire
Hi:

I am practicing changing a flat tire.  I'm new and have my first race in about ten days.  So I decided I definitely need practice changing the tire.

After watching a few videos I decided to conquer the rear wheel.

Remove wheel.  Check
Remove Inner Tube.  Check
Put Inner Tube back in Wheel.  Check
Put Tire back on wheel.  HELP!

I cannot get this tire back on.  I can get it almost on until the very last part - about  6 inches of tire I cannot get on - tire levers and all do not work.  I have almost dislocated my shoulder trying to get it on.  Any advice?  I feel like an idiot.  Could it be an equipment problem?

Thanks. :-)  And please don't make fun of me.

dbw27

Edited by dbw27 2009-04-24 1:04 AM

2009-04-24 2:49 AM
in reply to: #2107193

Expert
Subject: RE: Help!! Cannot change flat tire
OMG I am pretty much the same as you, I can get it on eventully but it takes me like 15 minutes which totalyy sucks.

Please help us!!
2009-04-24 5:35 AM
in reply to: #2107207

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
15 minutes? I wish.  I was doing it for three hours and finally went to bed.  My fingers are raw.

dbw27
2009-04-24 6:20 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

OK, I know that last section can be a little tricky, but I use a little lube when I do it, in a race or on the road a little scoosh from your water bottle on the section and it should help the tyre lever work round a little easier, then use a handy rag (typically your shirt I guess) to wipe off the excess and ride away, when you have time you can actually purchase tyre lube for this very reason, but something that gives the tyre lever and tyre less friction like soapy water or a little washing up liquid is ideal, again make sure it's dry and wiped off before going screaming into that tight bend or you'd wish you'd kept the flat and walked back!!

hope that helps.

2009-04-24 7:48 AM

Master
The final 6" is the toughest part. It's ESPECIALLY tough with really old, stiff tires, or in cold weather, as the rubber gets less pliable. I was shocked at how much easier it was to change out a tube/tire on a new bike on a warm day than it was in the winter with a much older tire.

I find that using the end of the tire lever is very helpful in pushing the last bit of tire over the rim. You will find some folks who vehemently say this is a bad strategy since it risks puncturing the tube, but I've never had a problem with this, and there's no way I'd be able to get my tire back onto the rim with just my bare hands.

If your tires are particularly stiff, it may also help to stretch out the tire before putting it back on the rim.

2009-04-24 8:06 AM

User image

Modesto, California

I do make it a habit not to use a lever on the install, only because if you do puncture or pinch the tube you are doing everything x2, and not have any more spares. I only carry one tube and 2 co2 so I have to be careful. Next time put a little spit on the inside lip of the last six inches, this will help. Its not easy but it should not kill you either, keep practicing until you feel comfortable, getting a flat during a race should not seem like a big deal.

2009-04-24 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
I just picked up a pair of Pedro's Tire Levers, and they're a little fatter than normal tire levers which helped me get a new tire on this week.  I was putting a brand new ProRace3 tire on and it went on fairly easily with these tire levers. 

Tire

This is just my personal preference, but my sequence to put the tire on is:

1.  Blow enough air in the tube so its fills inside of tire
2.  Push stem through, and feed the one side of tire into the rim, should go in easily
3.  Work the tire around until the last section that is not in is about 90 degrees from the stem
4.  Using the Pedro's lever, I'll hook the lever on the rim where the red arrow is (upside down from the picture on the REI website) and lift.  *** NOTE - You can damage the tube this way, so BE CAREFUL you're not catching the tube with the hook or you'll be doing this x2.  You shouldn't be breaking your shoulder to get this to move, if it is too hard, slide down closer to the edge and work your way in easily.
5.  I alternate between the two arrow spots and hold the tire in place with my hand and it should feed in easily after a couple lifts of the lever. 

Again, this is probably not the ideal method since you can damage the tube, but it has worked well for me and *knock on wood* I haven't punctured a tube using this method.
2009-04-24 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
I just takes strength and practice.  If it is a wire bead tire it could be a little more difficult.  I have had some tire and rim combinations that definitely tried my patience over the years, Michelin tires on Sun rims in particular.  In my years I have found older tires to go on easier than new tires because they have stretched while inflated on the rim.  And yes, try to avoid using tires levers if you can since you can pinch the tube against the rim....though there are times when you will have no other choice but to use a lever.
2009-04-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2107851

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I got one of these years ago for my mtn bike and still use it today on all my bikes.  I don't own a set of regular levers.

http://www.rei.com/product/546083

Supposedly it isn't as useful on road tires but I haven't ever had a problem with it.  Used it to put on 3-4 sets of brand new PR3's no problem in the last couple months.
2009-04-24 10:49 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Same problem; I've never been able to change a tire either. You're not alone. It's highly frustrating (and painful).
Will try some of the stuff in this thread.
Any more tips from the experts???
2009-04-24 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2107895

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I use a lever to guide the last bit of tire over the rim.  I assume this is not what you're doing, since it doesn't require pulling.  I think this is what others are suggesting, since it does put the tube at risk. 

1. NUMBER ONE:  Unless you're still struggle to keep the tube inside the tire, make sure the tube is deflated.
  2. Use your hands until you can't pull anymore over
  3. Very carefully wedge the lever between tire and rim.  Check that the tube's not stuck inbetween.
  4. Holding the opposite side in place, pull the lever along to help the tire into the rim

I have have a ton of experience, but I can usually change a used tire.  I have struggled with new tires and will usually give up, only because it's not really a race-day type of worry for me. 

It helps to have a little faith.   Get a good grip and pull it over!  It's possible, but it usually hurts a little more than you think it should

2009-04-24 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor
I did a 200 mile ride in 2 days last year with 3 of my friends. We had 9 flats between the 4 of us. The roads are often littered with tacks and glass due to cycle haters (its a big event and pisses a lot of people off)!

I had to change all 9. I am a 130 lb. woman w/ no upper body strength and I am glad I knew how to change flats but my hands and arms were killing me after the first 2. Hopefully you won't ever have to change a flat on the side of the road but it is a necessary skill.

I would say what helped me was sitting back and trying different methods until I found something that worked for me. 

My friends now know how to change their own stinkn flats!
2009-04-24 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Some tires just don't fit well with some rims.  Continentals can be pretty challenging tires to mount for instance.  I've found Mavic wheels seem to be easier to mount tires on than a lot of other brands.

It helps if the last bit of tire is on the opposite side from the stem.

I will put the stem side of the wheel against myself and squeeze the tire around to the far side.  Kind of forcing slack around the wheel if that makes sense.  I don't use levers when putting the tire back on.  I push it on with my thumbs.  It takes practice.

Edited by Bumble Bee 2009-04-24 3:44 PM
2009-04-24 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2108689

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-24 4:56 PM

Master
Just a few additional heads up about tire changing for the rookies (not that you need more to worry about, I know!)

- Make sure you know how to take your back tire off and put it on again without hassle. It's usually super-easy, but if you forget to switch to the right gears to give slack, you'll be fighting the entire time. Some say that most flats happen on the back tire due to the weight; I have no idea, but it's definitely a required ability.

-  Practicing at home helps a LOT. You can practice while watching a movie or TV - you've got it down when you can do it mindlessly. 

2009-04-24 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2108726

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Bopper - 2009-04-24 5:01 PM

Here is a tip I got from the owner of a LBS, ex-bike racer and rider of 50+ years... he doesn't use tire irons to take OFF tires, let alone put them on. I guess he's had plenty of practice.

First... get the tube in, slightly inflated.
Second... work the tire on as far as you can starting at the stem... then deflate the tube fully.
Third... squeeze as much of the tire into the centre of the rim (if you'll notice it is a slightly smaller diameter in there), working your way around to the section that needs to be put on the rim. (As noted earlier... this gives you more slack to work with).
Fourth... work a little bit on at a time from each side of the loose section.
Fifth... DON"T GIVE UP!!!!

Be patient and you will get it. I know it's hard... but it's an essential skill that you'll be glad you have, at least ONCE in your life.

Good luck.

There's a good video of this on TTBikeFit.com.  The guy in the video replaces a tire without using any tools.  The video is on the main page - you need to scroll down the list of videos to the third from last one.  After watching the video I was able to replace my tire without tools, albeit without the speed and ease that he exhibited.  FWIW, my tire is much easier to put on now that's it's been installed for awhile.  The first time I spent half an hour swearing at it and my thumbs hurt for days.

Jason

2009-04-24 9:33 PM

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

When I got new tires for my bike I just could not get them back on the rim, and I'm a reasonably strong guy. After doing some searching on the net I found a recommendation on Sheldon Brown's site for The Bike Tool (http://thebiketool.com/). I ordered it and it really does work. It takes a time or two to get used to how it works but it does work.

The funny thing is that after doing a several changes my tires have become easier to work with and I can put them back on without the tool. I still carry it with me on the bike, though, just in case.

2009-04-25 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2108689

Veteran
Iowa
Bumble Bee - 2009-04-24 3:44 PM

It helps if the last bit of tire is on the opposite side from the stem.

............squeeze the tire around to the far side.  Kind of forcing slack around the wheel if that makes sense.  I don't use levers when putting the tire back on.  I push it on with my thumbs.  It takes practice.

X100.  Just attended a triathlon newbies class with my 10 yr old daughter and they had us "change a flat".  The tips above are what we found to be most critical, and were both able to get the job done.
2009-04-26 1:02 PM

Expert
Been there done that.  Trust me it does get easier over time.  Another important practice for me is to purposefully change a tire after 50-60 miles of biking to simmulate potential race condition.  It's much harder as things seem to get lost, missplaced in the weeds, there is never a good place to sit in a ditch, all sweaty, muscles are sore, sometimes very windy, distractions from driving by cars, etc.  I am all thumbs when it comes to mechanics but I've gotten it down to 5 minutes.  Good luck, if I can do it, the anyone can.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help!! Cannot change flat tire Rss Feed