General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Double knee scope- any suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-26 8:10 PM

User image

Regular
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: Double knee scope- any suggestions?
Ran a marathon, okay let's be honest, a half marathon last Novemeber. Afterwards I was in more pain than expected. I rested the legs cause I had not planned to start training for this season till the spring. I had been dealing with some plantar fascitis issues and though my knee pain, when I started running again, was still related to having some residual p.f. issues. My wife finally convinced me to see a orthopedic surgeon: Bad news hit hard. I actually deal with medical issues well. I like watching them take blood or even cutting flesh: have sort of a bio/vet background. I started to get really hot and light headed, sweating then came on with a slight knot in the stomach. After I heald back the puking feeling, I finally looked the surgeon in the eyes and said: " I did not hear a word you said. Can you right it down for me?" He then said bluntly I needed surgery to repair a left stained ACL with a foreign body and a left torn medial meniscus and I might as well have both repaired at the same time.

I am having training withdrawl. I have been lifting and using the eliptical. Has any one had similar injuries/surgeries? How was the recovery? How quickliy were you able to start training again??

Any info/help/support is appreciated!!!!!!!

2009-04-26 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2111593

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Subject: RE: Double knee scope- any suggestions?
Had that exact procedure.
Months 1-2, are easy to do what you are told. The pain is prohibitive.

Once your incision is closed up, you can use a pull buoy and swim without kicking.
Be disciplined, and bind your ankles if you cannot resist the urge to cheat... kicking is extremely dangerous.

(This is known as open chain. If your foot is planted, an exercise is close-chained and will be allowed first.)

Stationary biking (rehab pace, not race training), per my surgeon, "you can never do too much."

Months 2-4 are the toughest for self-discipline, you will feel too good to just stick with what you are told... but you will F yourself up if you don't listen. Work hard, but only on the PT.

If you have good nutrition, and are obsessive with your PT... you should be able to taper up to full training from 4months to 6 months.  These are rough estimates, and always do what the pro's say...
2009-04-27 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

I am going in for  a knee scope tomorrow for a torn medial meniscus and possible cartilage removal from behind the knee cap.  Are you having the ACL reconstructed too?  or is it just strained?  That wasn't clear.  My understanding is, if it is just the meniscus, you should be back to easy running in about 4-6 weeks.  The ACL reconstruction is a whole new ballgame - I am ACL deficient from a previous accident and to have that repaired as well was a 6-9 month recovery.  I opted to leave the ACL since it has been torn for a while and I haven't had stability issues.

Good luck to you!

2009-05-27 9:42 PM

Expert
It's been a year and 2 monthes from my ACL/PCL repair and replacement but i had some major issues and I can't wait to race this weekend
2009-06-05 8:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Double knee scope- any suggestions? Rss Feed