General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training with no weights Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-05 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas
Subject: Strength training with no weights

I am starting up with a new workout routine at work during lunch. Because the only area I have available is the locker room I am pretty much limited to what I can keep in my locker as far as training equipment. ATM I have a swiss-ball, yoga mat and a 10LB medicne ball.

As far as exercises I am doing a bunch of core moves and push-ups.

Anyone have some suggestions for more exercises so that I can get in a full body work-out a few times a week?

Thanks all!!

2009-05-06 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2131995

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Strength training with no weights

I am getting ready to start a new routine, for me I like to use stretch cords. I will probably design a good mix of plyometrics, yoga, stretch cords, balance disc. All of my routine will fit into my tight schedule is very flexible because I travel often. It may not be 24 Hour Fitness , but my goal is convenience and consistency on my schedule.

Upper Body

lower body

Core

2009-05-06 1:34 PM

User image

You might consider getting a kettlebell (such as at http://www.uniquefit1.com/products/view/850). There are a lot of great exercises you can do with these.

It will be easy for you to do core work using the medicine ball and the mat.  And you can do all kinds of leg stuff, such as squat thrusts, lunges, etc.  So legs you should also be in good shape.

Upper body, in my mind, is much harder to do with your kind of setup.  First, some kind of pulling motion for lats and biceps:  If you get a kettlebell, you can stand leaning over with one arm against a wall and the other pulling up a kettlebell or dumbell (which you could purchase and put in your locker).  Other than that, I can't really think of any to do back workout.  Or, can you get any kind of pull-up bar?  That would be ideal for back workout.

Chest and triceps: you can do pushups and pushup variations, but if you do it frequently, you may have to do very high number of repetitions to get a good resistance workout.  There are limited strength benefits to such high repetition work.

Contrary to what you may read, I would recommend against doing pushups on a medicine ball or some other compromised position, at least as your chest workout.  While these may be very difficult, you are working your core much more than your chest, and will not get nearly as good a chest workout from them.

Good luck!  And really consider getting a kettlebell, you will be able to do many more workouts with them.  Really, to get a whole body workout, you simply need weights, like a kettlebell (though some of it can be substituted with a pull-up bar).

Edited by CGunz 2009-05-06 1:36 PM
2009-05-07 6:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

Thanks for the replies. those are a couple of good idea that will get me started. I thought about getting a door-gym or sme other type of pull up bar, but the way the room I am in is set up I don't think there is anyway to hang one.

With the ideas I got here I should be able to get something going.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training with no weights Rss Feed