General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having trouble installing this bike computer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-14 9:40 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Having trouble installing this bike computer
Alright I am having trouble installing this bike computer. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZD3FQ
I know it's cheap and most of the functions are accurate, but from what I have read the distance is pretty accurate.

Anyways, today I installed the magnet and sensor, and I am getting ready to put the mounting bracket on. The instructions say use a phillips screwdriver to install it, but there are no screws. Am I just suppose to tie it on with the ties? Will two ties keep it secure enough?

Also, does it matter what side it is on? I installed the magnet and senor on the left side on the front wheel, but then I read that I need to put the mounting bracket on the right side of the bike. It seems like it would not matter, but I want your advice.

Thanks

2009-05-14 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2152078

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Subject: RE: Having trouble installing this bike computer
Pretty sure it does matter as forward motion on the left side would be read as running backwards for a right mounting unit - I think they are designed to track the motion a specific direction.  But I do not have experience with this unit.
2009-05-14 10:21 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

I don't think it cares anything about direction, it's just counting how often the magnet passes the sensor.

You do need to make sure the magnet passes pretty close to the sensor, though.  Make sure the sensor just about touches the magnet.

Not sure about screws vs. ties--maybe somebody with the same unit can help.

2009-05-14 11:01 PM

Expert
Behind you

I have this unit on my trainer.  Its VERY accurate and yes, very cheap, but is worth the money.  It does use the "bread ties" to hold it on.  It will stay on just fine like that even though it doesn't seem to do so.  The directions say to put it on your front wheel..... this is not true in regards to tracking speed and distance because I compare it after a ride with my garmin and its dead on accurate.  Noticed in the pictures I drew a line for you to show you where I ran the cable.  You will need to get more straps (lowes) and route the cable correctly.  Hope this helps.  If you need more pictures, let me know.

2009-05-14 11:29 PM

User image

Regular
Oh, so you put the magnet/sensor on the back wheel? That would help with all the extra
wire.

Thanks for the pics! Very helpful.

Edited by Jtaylor 2009-05-14 11:39 PM
2009-05-15 11:33 PM

Expert
Behind you

Your welcome... put that magnet on the back and from there if you put it in a way that gravity will push where the wires fork and it will stay that way.  I think this unit comes with two magnets, therefore put one on the front and one on the back in case you lose one.  Also be sure to set the computer to be exact on the instructions.  If you cant find them they have them online or just pm me and I can send them over as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having trouble installing this bike computer Rss Feed