General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Shoes/Pedals and advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-17 9:15 AM

New user

Hilton Head, SC
Subject: Cycling Shoes/Pedals and advice
I am currently useing the generic pedals that came with my bike and running shoes on my rides.  I got my bike a few days before my first triathlon 2 weeks ago and was scared to try clip in shoes and pedals.  Now that i am starting to do longer rides and want to get competative I am going to get the shoes and clip pedals.  Any suggestions?  I see it much cheaper to purchase online, any thoughts?  I want to use the bike for tri races, and plan to do group rides 2-3 times a week.  Also I did my first sprint 2 weeks ago and finished in 1:07 with  the bike portion took me 34:30 for 12.4 miles....how much of a difference should having shoes and good pedals make? 
I'm hoping that these pedals will make it a little easier as I am the only one that showed up to my group ride last week with cage pedals and bike shoes.
What is the easiest way to learn to get in and out of the clips at intersections and stops?  I am doing my next race June 6th and its Olympic distance so Im hoping I will be able to learn how to use them before that .  Sorry so many questions...very new to the sport and eager to learn Cool

2009-05-17 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2155743

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Cycling Shoes/Pedals and advice
The pedals generally come down to personal preference.  I have used Look pedals (classic and the newer Keos) and like them.  Many like Speedplays.  There are others as well (e.g., Time, SPD).  Each has a slightly different interface between the shoe cleat and the pedal.  Any will work well and make you more efficient when you pedal--many see ~1mph just from going clipless.

As for shoes, I would try to get these from an LBS so you can try them on.  Fit is really the biggest issue.  And the benefit of having comfortable feet while riding can't be overestimated in my view--especially if you are looking to "ride lots".  You can get good deals on-line but, unless you know the shoe works for your foot, it's hard to know if a deal is really good for you in advance.  If you buy pedals and shoes together, the LBS will also probably help you fit the cleats to the shoes as part of the deal (or maybe charge a small fee) which is also very important since your feet will now be "locked" into one position.

You can practice in a trainer, if you have one, to get the feel for the pedals.  Otherwise, start in a parking lot or neighborhood street and practice as you stop & start.  Inevitably, you will "join the club" and topple over as you forget to unclip when you stop.  Hopefully nothing will be hurt but your pride. 
2009-05-17 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
TriMike26 - 2009-05-17 9:15 AM

I am currently useing the generic pedals that came with my bike and running shoes on my rides.  I got my bike a few days before my first triathlon 2 weeks ago and was scared to try clip in shoes and pedals.  Now that i am starting to do longer rides and want to get competative I am going to get the shoes and clip pedals.  Any suggestions?  I see it much cheaper to purchase online, any thoughts?  I want to use the bike for tri races, and plan to do group rides 2-3 times a week.  Also I did my first sprint 2 weeks ago and finished in 1:07 with  the bike portion took me 34:30 for 12.4 miles....how much of a difference should having shoes and good pedals make? 
I'm hoping that these pedals will make it a little easier as I am the only one that showed up to my group ride last week with cage pedals and bike shoes.
What is the easiest way to learn to get in and out of the clips at intersections and stops?  I am doing my next race June 6th and its Olympic distance so Im hoping I will be able to learn how to use them before that .  Sorry so many questions...very new to the sport and eager to learn Cool

I have Look, Look Keo Classics, and SPDs on my bikes. All are fine as are a lot of others. I think pedals are way overrated.

As for speed, don't look for any big improvement. Maybe 1/2 mph?

As for clipping in / unclipping: There are two types of cyclists; those who have fallen and those who will. It will happen but you learn from it.

As for shoes, buy them from an LBS because every manufacturer has a different interpretation of sizes. I wear a 45 in Shimano but a 44 in other brands.

Are you gonna go with tri or road shoes? Ratcheting road shoes fit better as you can really adjust them precisely, but are inefficient for tris. Tri shoes have one or two straps but don't fit as precisely.
2009-05-17 5:41 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

Start out just standing over the bike and clipping each foot in and out.  Most clipless pedals have a tension adjustment, if it seems hard to get out of the pedal then loosen the tension a bit to make it easier.

Then ride with just one bike shoe, wear a sneaker on the other one.  Practice clipping in and out until you're comfortable.  Switch and practice with the other foot.

When you're ready to start riding with both shoes, make sure you think ahead and clip out plenty early.  Experienced cyclists often wait til they're almost stopped before they clip out, but you don't need to--clip out 20-30 yards before an anticipated stop or if you see trouble ahead.

Be aware, though, that the soles of many bike shoes are very smooth & slick, so it can be very difficult to keep your feet on the pedals when you're not clipped in.  I put some nonskid tape on the soles of mine to make it easier, but still don't try to pedal very hard if I'm not clipped in.

2009-05-17 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2156333

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
tjh - 2009-05-17 6:41 PM

Start out just standing over the bike and clipping each foot in and out.  Most clipless pedals have a tension adjustment, if it seems hard to get out of the pedal then loosen the tension a bit to make it easier.

Then ride with just one bike shoe, wear a sneaker on the other one.  Practice clipping in and out until you're comfortable.  Switch and practice with the other foot.

When you're ready to start riding with both shoes, make sure you think ahead and clip out plenty early.  Experienced cyclists often wait til they're almost stopped before they clip out, but you don't need to--clip out 20-30 yards before an anticipated stop or if you see trouble ahead.

Be aware, though, that the soles of many bike shoes are very smooth & slick, so it can be very difficult to keep your feet on the pedals when you're not clipped in.  I put some nonskid tape on the soles of mine to make it easier, but still don't try to pedal very hard if I'm not clipped in.

Really good advise overall.  I've used Looks and SPD's on my road bike (and SPD's and eggbeaters on my mtn bike).  Look makes a cleat with a little bit of rubber on it that helps counteract the ice-skating feeling you will otherwise get from road shoes, which is why I use Looks when I am racing.  If I am touring around, I'll use SPD's with a light duty mountain bike shoe, that I can walk normally in.  But they are kind of heavy and takes a little longer to get in (even though I have Yankz on them) than my tri shoes. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Shoes/Pedals and advice Rss Feed