General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breaking in my uncomfortable newish wetsuit vs getting a whole new one Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-17 3:49 PM

Master
Subject: Breaking in my uncomfortable newish wetsuit vs getting a whole new one
I'm a beginner swimmer.  I've only used my first and only wetsuit 3 times thus far.

Each time has been a near disaster. I unknowningly wore it to my first tri back in Nov, first time ever in open water and in the wetsuit, and finished near DFL (59/60th). The fitter at the store I went to (Trizombies Santa Monica) was very knowledgable, and insisted that it "fit me perfectly", but it honestly felt really, really tight - I told him this, and he said it would loosen with time and in the water. Unfortunately, I didn't wear it again until 2 weeks ago.

The other 2 times were better, as I've become a stronger swimmer, but for sure, my shoulders were fatiguing way, way faster than in a pool. The wetsuit was literally acting as a rubber band on my arms - no matter how high I pull the crotch and shoulders, my arms are restricted. I do have very large lat muscles, so I suspect this is part of the problem.

I did 2 x 250m short ocean swims today with a beginner OWS group. Nice warm ocean water. I did the first one in the suit with a fair amount of difficulty (shoulder fatigue again), and finished in the rear pack. Frustrated, I shed the wetsuit, and went in the 2nd time without it.

I swam MUCH faster - I was the 2nd one out of the water one the second lap! I guesstimate I probably went from a 3:00+/100m pace to 2:00-2:10/100m, or a 50% increase in pace. (I normally swim 2:00/100ish) Plus, I was ready to go for much, much longer, whereas with the wetsuit, I was hitting the limits of my arm endurance after 250m (never happens to me in a pool).

I think my wetsuit does not fit me properly, despite what the experienced store person said. I wish I could return it and get another, but as I bought in in Nov, I doubt they'll allow me to. Are there any ways to break it in more, or loosen the shoulders? Or should I just ebay it and get a whole new one? (I'm thinking sleeveless this time.)

Forgot to add - my current wetsuit is a small-sized BlueSeventy Energie full-suit, with full neoprene even in the armpits. 

2009-05-17 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2156127

User image

Subject: RE: Breaking in my uncomfortable newish wetsuit vs getting a whole new one
1.  I doubt they'll take it back

2.  Are you sure you are putting it on correctly?  I know you said you pull up the crotch and shoulders, but have you watched an experienced swimmer put on a suit, or have them watch you?  I am a pretty strong swimmer and until I learned to put it on correctly, I'd get lots of shoulder fatigue as well.  It will take you a couple minutes and repetition to actually get it on right.

3. A little tip, while you are putting it on, or after it's on your arms, twist the forearm to elbow rubber so it will "naturally" try to rotate your arm  forward, if that makes sense.  Makes a HUGE difference

4.  If you haven't worn the suit in a while, it helps to soak it in the tub for a while to make it a little more pliable

5.  I too prefer to swim without a wetsuit if given the option, but only the fastest of swimmers will be slower in a wetsuit.   Also swam down in South Redondo about 11:30....it's almost nonwetsuit time anyway
2009-05-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2156152

Master
Subject: RE: Breaking in my uncomfortable newish wetsuit vs getting a whole new one
Thanks for the tips Chris. 

I'm pretty sure I'm getting it on correctly - I had the folks from the triclub look me over, and even after I had the suit on as high as I could get it, I waded into the water, continued pulling up the crotch, back, front, arms and shoulders, and then got out of the water, and pulled it up even more for another several minutes. I probably spent over 10 minutes on the suit pulls, not even counting the time putting the suit on.

Also, when I have the suit on as high as it can go (and it's wet), it feels very restricted in the armpits and chest, to the point that I definitely cannot breathe normally.

I will have to try your rotation of the arm neoprene trick - perhaps that will help some. I really would rather not buy a whole new wetsuit (that BlueSeventy was $300+!) if I can help it, but there's no way I'm going to wear it if it kills my performance. 
2009-05-17 4:37 PM

User image

sounds like it might be too small then...  what's your height/weight and where does that fall in the blueseventy fit chart?   It should be tight but not "restrict your breathing" tight....
2009-05-17 4:44 PM

Master
Ironically, the Blueseventy size chart (http://www.blueseventy.com/docs/BLUESEVENTY_SIZING_08.pdf says I should fit perfectly to my suit.

Size small, height = 5'4" (I'm a short guy),  weight = 150 (but I'm stocky).

If anything, you'd think it'd be BIG for me, as I'm on the bottom end of the small size for height. The length of the suit is totally fine for me, but the width doesn't work.

Admittedly as I mentioned above, I have very large lats, which I suspect is causing me problems with the fit.

2009-05-17 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
It definitely sounds too small for you. Unfortunately, I don't think wetsuits "break in". If it were me, I would see if the tri store will exchange (doubtful) and if not, sell it on eBay and get a properly fitting one.

2009-05-17 5:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Key for me is to get the sleeve up in the arm pit. I have someone hold the upper arms in two places opposite of each other and I try to shove my arm in further. Having it snug in the armpit makes it feel much more comfortable. I have big/muscular upper arms so it needs to get over. Have similar issue with my thighs so I add water down the bibs and then I can pull it up a little bit more.

I have had 4 wetsuits and I do think some fit better and some feel more comfortable than others. I've lost weight and trust me a to big wetsuit is the worst as it takes on water but feels more comfortable.

2009-05-19 2:42 PM

Master
UPDATE: 

I decided to purchase a whole new wetsuit.

Fortunately, XTerra is having a huge sale on the Vortex suits until June - I purchased online their sleeveless Vortex wetsuit (retail $299) for $140. I received it today (UPS air is FAST!) and it fits great. I can breathe again, and my arms are completely unrestricted. I'm going to take it out into the water ASAP.

So for all you beginners out there looking for a wetsuit - if it doesn't feel comfortable out of the water, it won't get any better in it. Even if the experienced store clerk who's sold "hundreds" of these insists it fits perfectly. For sure, it's supposed to be skin-tight and it gets hot to wear it on land, but your breathing and movement should feel unrestricted even out of the water. 

Also as an aside - I was shocked at how much easier it was to purchase a wetsuit online versus in-store. I went to a smaller triathlon-specific store, so they had a very limited selection of suits in my size. No such problem online, and the return or size exchange policy at most of the online vendors is excellent. It's unfortunate that I wasted $300 the first go-around on the local store, when I should have done my homework first before believing what I heard.

Edited by agarose2000 2009-05-19 2:45 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breaking in my uncomfortable newish wetsuit vs getting a whole new one Rss Feed