General Discussion Race Reports! » Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
Somersault
11C / 52F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 38s
Overall Rank = 115/188
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30am, had coffee and oatmeal. Filled 1 waterbottle with Gatorade, put 1 gel and 3 fig newtons in my bento box. Left house at 6:30am to ride to Carleton (race site). Surprised at how many people were already set up in transition area when I arrived.
Event warmup:

Got my transition set up, then over to body marking and chip pickup. There were no official marker people, so I marked myself--ended up writing the 7 backwards (can see this on my race photos :-)). Back to transition, ran into Mae, so went over to get her body marked. This time, I marked her numbers on her, then on another fellow who was also 40 y/o (Mae just turned 40). Then another girl dropped her pants expecting me to mark her as well. This could get out of hand. People are starting to think I'm an official body marker. So I threw the pen back on the table and got outta there.
Mae and I had talked about doing a warmup, but the warmup ended up being a jog of 500m from the transition area to the poolhouse. At least we knew what it would feel like to jog from the pool to T1 after the swim.
The weather was overcast and cool so we were probably going to freeze our buns off after the swim.
Swim
  • 12m 46s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since it was a pool swim, we were separated into groups by anticipated swim time. I had just timed myself the day before at 11:30, so put myself in that group. Got chatting with a few of the people--we sorted ourselves out within the group to minimize passing in the water. Now the wait. The swim started at 8am, but I didn't get in the water until 9ish. Did a short warmup in the diving pool, felt good to get in the water and do a few lengths. The timing mats were at the edge of the pool. You had to stand on the mat until told to go. Most people dove in the pool. Although I can dive, I have not been diving in the water during my training, so wondered if my goggles would stay on. After my w/u I decided to just go for it. My dive was uneventful, so glad I decided to do it. After my start, I felt pretty good, almost surreal. Weird. Anyway, after 2 laps, I felt someone on my feet, so stopped to let them pass. Next lap, 2 more people passed me, so obviously we didn't position ourselves that well at the start. But after that, I was fine, I didn't pass anyone and no one passed me. In fact there was no one near me! So when I passed the photographer, he had time to snap a few extra pics of me--not that they are very flattering!
What would you do differently?:

try to position myself better at start
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time included in bike, so hard to know time
Bike
  • 57m 22s
  • 23 kms
  • 24.06 km/hr
Comments:

T1 and T2 included in bike time, so speed seems lower than what I was seeing on my Cateye during the race. I was trying to keep my speed around 27-28kmph most of the time. The wind wasn't too bad, could have been alot worse. I felt a bit slow on the hills but just tried to push it. I passed a few people, but also got passed by some pretty fast tri bikes with disc wheels. Lots of people in aero position.

Try to drink more
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty quick transition

nothing
Run
  • 29m 30s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 54s  min/km

I think more tempo training to prepare for race conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line, I grabbed a bagel and gatorade and found Mae. It had started to rain so we grabbed my stuff and headed to her car to stow the gear. Then over to the tent to check the standings. Mae had a good chance to place in her age group. She ended up 3rd!! WTG!! We were starting to get cold so beelined it to her car and maxed the heat! It felt good to do this race--reinforces the desire and ensure I up the training.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training, need to lose 10 lbs

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:46 | 500 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 131/188
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: pool swim
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:22 | 23 kms | 24.06 km/hr
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 99/188
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps of Colonel By Drive from Hogs Back to Pretoria
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:30 | 05 kms | 05m 54s  min/km
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 145/188
Course: course was on campus running on grass, gravel pathways and some sidewalks. I prefer to run on asphalt--the grass was uneven and I really had to watch my footing. I felt tired, wanted to push it but couldn't, so just told myself it was only 5k and to keep running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes