General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aqua Seal Swim Skin for 74 degrees? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-15 5:10 PM

User image

Plano, TX
Subject: Aqua Seal Swim Skin for 74 degrees?
I have a race coming up that predicts the lake will be 74 degrees. I can't train in the lake as it 4 hours away, and my pool I train in is probably 80 degrees, but the gym can't seem to confirm it. It could be cooler as it is always quite cool when I jump in, but I don't notice it anymore after I swim a few lengths.

Would you recommend I get a swim skin such as the Aqua Seal swim skin for the lake swim to keep my body temperature up? I am a very thin and get cold easily, but I have no idea what swimming in 74 degrees will be like since I can't simulate it. I do not want to feel cold the entire time I'm swimming. For reference, it is a 750 meter swim. Would I be the only one in a swim skin? I understand 74 degrees is wetsuit legal, but I don't know if most opt for one at that temperature. I do not think I am willing to pay $300 for a full wetsuit, nor do I think I need one.

2005-04-15 5:12 PM
in reply to: #143236

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Subject: RE: Aqua Seal Swim Skin for 74 degrees?
Have you looked to see if there are any tri stores in your area that rent wetsuits? There are a couple by me that rent them for $25 per event, and they credit it towards a purchase. Also, at 74 degrees, you would probably want a sleeveless.
2005-04-15 5:17 PM
in reply to: #143238

User image

Plano, TX
There don't seem to be any tri stores in my area, even though I live in a big metroplex, but I will look harder into that. There is a tri store where the race will be. Maybe I can rent it the day before, but that makes me nervous! They may not have one small enough! The swim skin I was looking at was sleeveless.
2005-04-15 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
I'm going to use the Swim Skin Top and possibly the shorty for the Chicago Triathlon in August. The Aqua Skin is a Teflon, Lycra, and Neoprene Fabric Mix. The Full Body (Wrist to Ankle) comes in 3 different thicknesses. The Seperate Top and Jammer, Mens Shortie, Womens Suit are recommended for water around 75-80 degrees. I think the Aqua Skin will be fine for 74 degree water. I would however try it on first. This way you make sure you can get the right fit. The Aqua Skin also provides increased bouyancy but not as much as a wetsuit will.
2005-04-15 6:26 PM

User image

Depends on how long you intend to be in the water.  For 750 M I wouldn't wear a wetsuit in 74 degree water.   And the swim skin will provide little, if any added buoyancy
2005-04-17 10:49 PM
in reply to: #143250

I am looking to do my first sprint tri in Waukegan (Chicago was full). The website mentions that wet suits are recommended and I am now very worried about the swim part - starting to look around for another tri to be my first (Indy maybe?). Any helpful hints/ideas? I am a big runner, but this swimming thing is throwing me - and then a wet suit?!?!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aqua Seal Swim Skin for 74 degrees? Rss Feed