General Discussion Race Reports! » Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
Somersault
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 41s
Overall Rank = 16/122
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Can hardly call it a routine since this was my first triathlon ever. Slept EXTREMELY poorly the night before with my mind racing and nerves running. I think I went over my transitions a million times. Up at 5:30 a.m. after only about 3 hours downed my daily Green sludge, stretched and ate some homemade oatmeal. I got to the transition zone about 30 minutes early, set things up, rechecked it about 8 times, marked up, got my timer and headed to the pool.
Event warmup:

Other than stretching at home did nothing to really warm up.
Swim
  • 09m 59s
  • 500 meters
  • 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt great in the swim in spite of concerns over a nagging shoulder injury. Did two stupid things. First I seeded myself poorly. In practice I was doing the swim in 7 - 8 min but seeded at 9 because of concerns about my shoulder. Stupid. Got behind some slower swimmers and had to dial it down huge. Ended up passing about 6 people which caused a really uneven pace. Second, I stepped on that stupid timing mat early. My goggles were foggy went to the pool to rinse them and stepped on the mat. Crap. Added at least a minute to my overall time.
What would you do differently?:

Not be an idiot and step on the mat early. Seed myself better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No idea specific times for T1 & T2 because I forgot to start my watch. Lol. It was a really long run from the pool to T1 (about 600M) so had to put some sandals on. T1 was fast and I was glad I practiced it. Shoes cause a bit of problems but I felt like I was out pretty quickly. Ran with bike and did a running mount. Went just liked practiced.

Not much. Just keep practicing T1 ad maybe invest in a pair of tri shoes and leave them on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 56s
  • 34.2 kms
  • 28.93 km/hr
Comments:

Time also includes T1 & T2 transition times. Overall I was happy with the ride. This is perhaps where I can work harder in training. Pushed hard but really started feeling it in my hamstrings and butt. Will hit the gym a bit more and start training on hills.

More training.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Went fast. Legs felt like mush. I had done BRICK work before so knew what to expect but having pushed myself harder than normal it was tough. Did a running dismount but a lady had stopped dead in front of me and I almost hit here because I couldn't slow down. Had practiced this transition a ton so felt it went very well.

Nothing.
Run
  • 19m 47s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 58s  min/km
Comments:

PB for a 5 km run. This was my fastest time ever running a 5km! I come from a running background and was extremely pleased to post this time especially AFTER doing the other two sports! Took about 1km for my legs to come back and then I pushed hard. Could have gone harder after the split.

Faster split.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Had a massage from the massage people. Nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shoulder injury and poor hydration.

Event comments:

Overall it was a great experience for my first tri. Super awesome feeling when it was completed it. I would probably warm-up more and cool-down more. Next race in 4 weeks.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:59 | 500 meters | 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 25/122
Performance: Average
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Self seeded lane swim in an overly warm pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:56 | 34.2 kms | 28.93 km/hr
Overall: 30/122
Wind: Some
Course: Flat course with a few small grade changes. A little windy and some very rough spots. Overall very nice.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:47 | 05 kms | 03m 58s  min/km
Overall: 8/122
Course: Grass and path. A few small hills and a little uneven.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes