General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip in pedals, road shoes and tri bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-06 3:56 PM

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Subject: Clip in pedals, road shoes and tri bikes
so finally after 6 months of riding in running shoes with a cage, i bought clip in pedals and road shoes. the pedals are forte carbon road pedals and the shoes are regular shimano shoes. anyone else have one of these two that can comment on them? the link to the pedals is below
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1033390_-1_20005_20000_21000

also...ive been shopping for a tri bike. the guy helping me at the store said that you shouldnt train on a tri bike because they are only meant for one thing. you cant draft in one, cant do hills and they arent as safe if your route is not a straight course. is this true? should i just stick with a road bike? he also said some of the more serious athletes have a tri bike for race day and i would be better off just putting aero bars on my road bike.

let me know

2009-06-06 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2199289

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Clip in pedals, road shoes and tri bikes
My LBS owner told me the same when I asked whether I should get a road or tri bike.  Are you absolutely sure you want to stick with triathlons?  If so I would just go with the tri bike off the bat and skip a step, if not then pick up a road bike with clip on bars.
2009-06-06 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2199289

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Clip in pedals, road shoes and tri bikes
amills1210 - 2009-06-06 3:56 PM

so finally after 6 months of riding in running shoes with a cage, i bought clip in pedals and road shoes. the pedals are forte carbon road pedals and the shoes are regular shimano shoes. anyone else have one of these two that can comment on them? the link to the pedals is below
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1033390_-1_20005_20000_21000

also...ive been shopping for a tri bike. the guy helping me at the store said that you shouldnt train on a tri bike because they are only meant for one thing.

Well, actually, they are meant for four things: triathlons, time trials, training for triathlons, and training for time trials

[ you cant draft in one,

True

cant do hills

Not true. They are just not as good as road bikes on hills.

and they arent as safe if your route is not a straight course. is this true?

True, sort of. Yes, they don't turn as quickly and if you're in the aero position, you don't have immediate access to the brakes and it is more difficult to look straight ahead in a strong aero position, but, they become safer with more experience in the saddle.

should i just stick with a road bike? he also said some of the more serious athletes have a tri bike for race day and i would be better off just putting aero bars on my road bike.

let me know

If you enjoy riding with others, especially a group, you might be better off with a road bike with aero bars. If you ride solo or with maybe 1 person, a time trial (tri) bike is a very legitimate option. Of course, ideally, having a road bike and a tri bike will satisfy all your issues if that is in the cards. I have one of each as do many triathletes I know.

Edited by greyg8r 2009-06-06 4:42 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip in pedals, road shoes and tri bikes Rss Feed