General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bath County Tri questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-11 11:31 PM

New user

Subject: Bath County Tri questions...
Hi everyone!

The Bath County race will be my second triathlon, so I'm still new to the sport.

How does the bike and run compare to the Smith Mountain Lake course?

Should I bring a wetsuit? I know the water's supposed to be nice, but all the rain we've had lately has made me nervous. Plus, all I can remember, really, about the SML race is that the water was MUCH colder than I expected.

Thanks in advance!

2009-06-12 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2212386

Subject: RE: Bath County Tri questions...

I've never done Smith Mountain Lake, so I can't tell you how they compare. The bike course for Bath County has one or two short but kinda steep hills in the beginning (and then at the end, since it's an out and back course), and then the rest of the way out, it's basically a false flat, which kinda sucks. But then on the way back, you regain all the time you lost since it's all downhill. The run course is out and back and it's loooooong rollers. Definitely challenging if you don't run that kind of terrain all the time. The lake is nice and clean and although I wore a wetsuit for extra speed, you didn't necessarily need it b/c the water was too cold. I think the water was low to mid-70s. Not bad at all. If I recall, SML is much earlier in the year - that probably makes a difference.

2009-06-13 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2212737

New user

Thanks! I actually think I read your race report when I was researching this one.

I live in Roanoke, so pretty much all of my runs are hilly, lol. But I've been doing more in anticipation of the race.

Are you going to be there?
2009-06-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2215090

ccoakley - 2009-06-13 9:28 AM Thanks! I actually think I read your race report when I was researching this one.

I live in Roanoke, so pretty much all of my runs are hilly, lol. But I've been doing more in anticipation of the race.

Are you going to be there?

No, not this year. Haha, my race report is deceiving, because I'm a craptacular cyclist. But what I said about the course is true - it's basically a false flat on the way out, except for the first bit, and so consequently downhill on the way back. You can REALLY fly. If you run long, gradual rollers a lot, you'll be fine. I'm a better runner now than I was then, but I will still say that if you don't run hills, it's challenging. Luckily, it ends on a downhill

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bath County Tri questions... Rss Feed