General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Small Short Tri, Clipless or Cages??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-22 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
Subject: Small Short Tri, Clipless or Cages???
I'm going back to school for an Alumni Golf Outing next weekend and their triathlon is being run the same weekend. The triathlon is a short, short Tri. 400 yrd Swim, 5 Mile Bike, 2 Mile Run. I have clipless on my bike right now but am thinking because its such a short race that I might want to change back to cages for a faster transition.

I'm thinking that the clipless will be slower because of having to change the shoes and all than the cages.

Anyone with any comments on this please let me know.

2005-04-22 6:50 PM
in reply to: #146807

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette
Subject: RE: Small Short Tri, Clipless or Cages???

Aren't those short distances non-competitive events? I thought those were meant to interest people in the sport by giving them a chance to try all modalities as if in a race. In France we call them Decouverte (discovery, to find out).

Again, being such a short event you may do well with cages and save a minute or so instead of two shoe changes otherwise.

2005-04-22 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
Yeah I don't think its very competitive. I just happen to be in town during the race and decided to do it last minute. I'm thinking I might want to go ahead and use my clipless just to practice my transitions. Not sure though, I would also like to place for my age group. Which is very well possible. I think I'll bring down both the clipless and the cages and decide there7
2005-04-23 1:33 AM
in reply to: #146824

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Mark6715 - 2005-04-22 4:09 PM

Yeah I don't think its very competitive. I just happen to be in town during the race and decided to do it last minute. I'm thinking I might want to go ahead and use my clipless just to practice my transitions. Not sure though, I would also like to place for my age group. Which is very well possible. I think I'll bring down both the clipless and the cages and decide there7

Personally, I'd race it the same way you normally race... just consider it a "training" race.
2005-04-23 9:48 AM
in reply to: #146820

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: What?!
Bisucas - 2005-04-22 4:50 PM

Aren't those short distances non-competitive events? I thought those were meant to interest people in the sport by giving them a chance to try all modalities as if in a race. In France we call them Decouverte (discovery, to find out).

If that were true, then why bother having a post-race awards ceremony to announce the top 3 winners in each age-group?  The race directors won't have to spend any money on awards.  And we wouldn't need timing chips, so more saved money.  And since the distances are so short, we won't need post-race massages or food and drinks.  Wow!  I can see my entry fees dropping to...nothing!

I don't know about you, but if I finish in the top 5 of any sprint tri that I do, I figure I've earned bragging rights.  I don't care if it's a 200 yard swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run - it's still an accomplishment.

In the meantime, since the clipless pedals are already on the bike, I'd just practice changing shoes.  The time differences would be negligible - you can go faster on a bike with clipless, which will compensate for the changing to running shoes (less than 10 seconds the way I figure it).

2005-04-23 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, I raced for years with rat traps (toe clips) and had more accidents than I ever did with the clipless. With the rat traps, you have to bend over and uncinch the belt before you come to a stop and then you had to remember to pull your foot back to get out of the cage.  With the clipless, you simply swivel your heel outward and prepare to stop.  Anyways, to start just adjust the tension on your disembarking pedal to its lowest setting.

2005-04-23 11:14 AM

Jackson, MO
Mark
If you are talking about the Tri @SIU I am thinking about doing it too. They say the waters are C_O_L_D! I don't know why they don't do it in the pool. Anyway, might see you there.
2005-04-23 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
Yep thats the one. Doc Spachman Triathlon. Its not a very long race but since I figured I'd be in town anyways I might as well do it. The lake will be COLD but I look forward to it. Cold water never really bothered me. Its more incentive to swimm that much faster. Looking forward to it as good practice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Small Short Tri, Clipless or Cages??? Rss Feed