General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Picky Eaters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-17 10:58 AM

Subject: Picky Eaters

Just a spin-off from the Common Foods thread:

While I understand that people usually have one or two things that they dislike, I have never understood people who are picky eaters - people who don't like a whole laundry list of stuff, people who don't like things prepared a certain way, etc. I LOVE food - all kinds of food in various combinations. There are a scant few things I dislike.

Note that this DOES NOT include the following:

* People with allergies/physical intolerances to certain things - understandable, and if something kills you if you eat it, I'd avoid it too. I don't drink coffee cuz it makes me really sick.

*Things that are empirically "gross" - like balut or head cheese or fried tarantula. If you like them, more power to you, but you know what I'm getting at.

*Food that is bad for you - I don't mean not eating things because they're unhealthy. Fried chicken may be tasty, but avoiding it makes sense.

So, for the picky eaters out there - can you explain WHY? I'm not trying to make fun of you. I just have never understood the various reasons why a lot of people seem to not like a whole lot of otherwise "normal" things. I just think that what people eat and why is interesting. This not meant to be an argumentative discussion, merely informative. Is it a product of the way you were raised? Is it an innate biological thing? Bad experiences, etc? Just interesting, that's all.

2009-06-17 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2224186

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Picky Eaters
I was about to start a thread asking the same question - and your questions are better asked than mine. 

I don't understand either.  I am the one who would try anything, and then decide if I like it or not. 
2009-06-17 11:19 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
People think I'm a picky eater. Part is by choice (vegetarian), part is not (gluten free). I can only think of a handful of ingredients I just "don't like" - but I am still willing to cook with them to see if I will like them in a different combination.

I'm pretty open to trying new things, and in the past couple of years have really branched out and tried things I never had before. I think a LOT of it has to do with how you were raised and what kinds of meals you ate as a child/teenager. My mother made every dinner when I was growing up, but there was not much variety at all. I can pinpoint 5-6 staple dinners in my childhood that were on a heavy rotation - dinner rarely strayed from those meals. So naturally, out on my own, I had a few staple meals I made all the time - very similar to the ones I ate growing up. It got old, and wasn't so healthy for me.

So now, I am constantly on the internet looking for new recipies and foods that fit within my dietary guidelines, and are also different and exciting. Yes I have made things that SUCKED! But I've also made things that are absolutely delish - with ingredients I'd never EVER tried before. YUM!!!

Something I would recommend is finding a "food blog" online that fits your dietary interests. I have found one where a lady makes the most interesting vegetarian/vegan/gluten free dishes... again, sometimes with ingredeints that I've never even heard of! All of her recipies have gorgous photos so you can see what it should look like, and recipies are archived so you can search if you're looking for something in particular. I know there are a lot of food blogs out there in different niches... I highly recommend seeking them out, just for variety's sake if nothing else.

2009-06-17 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2224261

lisac957 - 2009-06-17 12:19 PM People think I'm a picky eater. Part is by choice (vegetarian), part is not (gluten free). I can only think of a handful of ingredients I just "don't like" - but I am still willing to cook with them to see if I will like them in a different combination.

I'm pretty open to trying new things, and in the past couple of years have really branched out and tried things I never had before. I think a LOT of it has to do with how you were raised and what kinds of meals you ate as a child/teenager. My mother made every dinner when I was growing up, but there was not much variety at all. I can pinpoint 5-6 staple dinners in my childhood that were on a heavy rotation - dinner rarely strayed from those meals. So naturally, out on my own, I had a few staple meals I made all the time - very similar to the ones I ate growing up. It got old, and wasn't so healthy for me.

So now, I am constantly on the internet looking for new recipies and foods that fit within my dietary guidelines, and are also different and exciting. Yes I have made things that SUCKED! But I've also made things that are absolutely delish - with ingredients I'd never EVER tried before. YUM!!!

Something I would recommend is finding a "food blog" online that fits your dietary interests. I have found one where a lady makes the most interesting vegetarian/vegan/gluten free dishes... again, sometimes with ingredeints that I've never even heard of! All of her recipies have gorgous photos so you can see what it should look like, and recipies are archived so you can search if you're looking for something in particular. I know there are a lot of food blogs out there in different niches... I highly recommend seeking them out, just for variety's sake if nothing else.

I like the food blog idea! My roommate follows food blogs and finds interesting recipes.

Also - for those who are not limited in what they eat, it's still interesting to try vegan or gluten free recipes and foods. I had a vegan cheesecake once that was phenomenal. I'll eat vegetarian/vegan/gluten free foods just because they are different (assuming they're tasty - Lisa, I know you've mentioned that some GF food is gross, as I've discovered with some vegan food - soy cheeses, for example, are not all created all equal).

2009-06-17 3:36 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

For me the issue has always been with food odors. For example the smell of ketchup actually triggers my gag reflex. So tasting it, obviously, out of the question. I can't explain some of the things I'm averse to trying. In fact, I want to try cottage cheese but I can't. That one I really can't explain. It's kind of a visual thing I guess.

2009-06-17 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2224469

User image

Elite
Texas
wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-17 12:17 PM

lisac957 - 2009-06-17 12:19 PM People think I'm a picky eater. Part is by choice (vegetarian), part is not (gluten free). I can only think of a handful of ingredients I just "don't like" - but I am still willing to cook with them to see if I will like them in a different combination.

I like the food blog idea! My roommate follows food blogs and finds interesting recipes.

Also - for those who are not limited in what they eat, it's still interesting to try vegan or gluten free recipes and foods. I had a vegan cheesecake once that was phenomenal. I'll eat vegetarian/vegan/gluten free foods just because they are different (assuming they're tasty - Lisa, I know you've mentioned that some GF food is gross, as I've discovered with some vegan food - soy cheeses, for example, are not all created all equal).

I make Indian food quite a lot. Most of the time it's vegan. Lot's of good protein in chana dal.

2009-06-17 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I use to be a picky eater until about 3 years ago.  I would look at it and immediately decide it didn't taste good.  Then I tried my first banana.  That's right, until 3 years ago I had never tasted a banana.  After the first bite I was in love and decided I will try anything.  I have eaten so many things for the first time in the past 3 years I feel like I neglected myself prior to that.  Now I love trying new things.

2009-06-18 5:12 AM

New user

For me it is a combination of taste and texture - I don't like the taste or texture of egg - I will eat it in cakes and some quiches but whole egg custard, mayonnaise, scrambled, fried, poached, etc are all out. The other is cheese - I really only enjoy cheddar, parmesan and mozarella. Though they are only a couple of things they do exclude a fair number of meals/menu items.

2009-06-18 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2225909

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
ACL - 2009-06-18 5:12 AM

For me it is a combination of taste and texture - I don't like the taste or texture of egg - I will eat it in cakes and some quiches but whole egg custard, mayonnaise, scrambled, fried, poached, etc are all out. The other is cheese - I really only enjoy cheddar, parmesan and mozarella. Though they are only a couple of things they do exclude a fair number of meals/menu items.

X2 on the texture of certain foods!  That is my primary hangup, too.  I don't like the texture of citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit)...the membrane and stringy texture of them is a complete turn-off.  I also do not like the texture of certain melons, such as honeydew and cantelope.  They feel too smooth and mushy in my mouth.  I prefer a "crunchier" texture, such as watermelon.  Same goes for tomatoes...don't like the texture of them, but I'll eat them if pureed in a sauce or soup. 
2009-06-18 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2227142

nscrbug - 2009-06-18 2:18 PM

X2 on the texture of certain foods!  That is my primary hangup, too.  I don't like the texture of citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit)...the membrane and stringy texture of them is a complete turn-off.  I also do not like the texture of certain melons, such as honeydew and cantelope.  They feel too smooth and mushy in my mouth.  I prefer a "crunchier" texture, such as watermelon.  Same goes for tomatoes...don't like the texture of them, but I'll eat them if pureed in a sauce or soup. 

I've always wondered about the texture thing and why some people have an aversion to certain ones. The only things that gross me out are when foods that are supposed to have a certain texture do not - like apples that are too mealy, or when food that's not SUPPOSED to be slimy, is. So basically when the texture denotes freshness.

2009-06-18 3:47 PM

New user
For me the texture-thing extends from childhood - that said I had a childhood where there was a wide variety of foods introduced from an early age, so I warrant it is slightly odd that these two 'basics' present some problems for me.
Where the wobbly/jiggly/slippery/rubbery/etc texture of the egg/cheese is disguised it is the taste that I just can't stomach. I've tried to reintroduce these foods more recently but with no success and it has cemented and even extended the list of egg and cheese based foods I just can't bring myself to eat.

2009-07-02 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2227142

User image

Veteran
Olathe
nscrbug - 2009-06-18 1:18 PM

X3, For me it all about texture.  I know that I can overcome it, I used to hate bananas, but will eat the daylights out of them now.I love the flavor of most fruits, and even most veggies, I just need to get used to the texture. I am doing my first tri in about a month, and really want to clean up my diet.  I am eliminating alcohol, beer, and as much unneeded fat and such as I can for the next month.  I currently weigh 215 at 6 foot, but I know that I can reduce my body Fat % significantly, if I just eat more fruits and veggies, as compared to cookies and crackers. 
2009-07-04 9:41 PM

User image

On your right
My wife is one of the most picky eaters I know.  When I ask her about it, she can't come up with anything more than "I don't want to try it because it seems like it'd be gross."  It's gone so far as to me cooking dinner, then half way through, asking if she likes it.  When she says yes, I say that I put something in it that she normally wouldn't eat, like a curry sauce/powder, or a spice you normally wouldn't associate with something like cinnamon on home-made potato chips.  She then promptly says it's gross, and won't eat anymore.
2009-07-05 9:12 PM

You all make it sound difficult......

I don't eat anything
green !  When I was a kid there was a few things I would eat. Like split pea soup and lima beans....but now they taste gross. I just have real picky taste buds.

Every one says how unhealthy It is to not eat green. But it does'nt faze me any.

Good luck to all picky eaters.
2009-07-07 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
It's a texture thing for me, and it is a learned, or rather unlearned behavior. I was allergic to EVERYTHING as a baby. My pediatrician told my mother then I would be a picky eater because I was unable to eat foods to learn the textures. I didn't start eating solid foods until I was 3, by then most toddlers have tasted a multitude of foods, not me. I like the smells of certain foods but the texture in my mouth usually makes me gag. There are foods I've tried and tried to eat but I just can't. I don't eat a single vegetable, and I barely eat fruit, I can only do it if I force myself which makes it unenjoyable so why do it?
2009-07-07 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Wow!  I thought I was a really picky eater, but the last 2 posters (BTSyndrome & aspeelma) certainly have me beat (no offense to either of you).  For the longest time, I've had a huge aversion to most veggies & fruits.  It was due to my upbringing - my mother was not a big fan of veggies and fruits of any kind, so she never ate them and in turn, never pushed them on me as a child or teen.  So I basically grew up never eating vegetables or fruits.  Then when I reached my mid-20's, I decided that I needed to incorporate some veggies & fruits into my diet if I wanted to stay healthy.  Now I'll be the first to admit, that I'm still not a big fan of many veggies...but I am slowly getting better with that.  Fruits, were much easier for me to adapt into my diet, and now I love eating a fairly large variety of fruits. 

But yeah, there are some veggies that make me gag due to the "texture" thing...and I simply won't eat them.

Edited by nscrbug 2009-07-07 3:16 PM

2009-07-07 7:14 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Unfortunately... I'm not a picky eater at all Tongue out

re the texture thing - just an interesting tidbit - Margaret Atwood wrote a book called the "Edible Woman" where the main character's struggles with society are manifested by her reaction to food.  All foods take on life-like qualities.  Carrots are like bodies on a vine.  In one incident she describes eating sponge cake as little lungs exploding in her mouth!  Anyway - this thread just made me think of it...
2009-07-08 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
This is a cool thread topic! I really like the idea of finding a food blog. I am going to try that. I am really picky. I never liked onions as a kid, so I automatically grouped anything related to them as an I don't like. My Grandma used to try to sneak them into Sunday dinner dishes, but I could smell them as soon as we got inside her house and I wouldn't eat it.  I guess to tell the truth it comes down to what I know I like, and I guess I am just kind of lazy about food prep, so I would hate to try something new and not like it and have a ruined meal. I have certain veggies and fruits that I know I like and I stick with them. However, lately I have been trying to branch out. I dated a girl for a while who got me to try grilled peppers mixed in with some chicken and stuff, and I did like it! Peppers were one of the things I grouped into the onion family. I even put grilled onions on a fajita I had a few weeks ago, and I liked it. So with the veggies and fruit I know I need to branch out. I got lucky in the sweet department, I never really had a sweet tooth, and now I don't try new things there on purpose, I have a hard enough time with cookie dough. If I found out I loved rocky road ice cream it would be one more thing to battle. So for me, I think I want to try new stuff, I just was too lazy/worried, that I would not like it, then have to cook another meal.  However I am going to look into the food blog thing. I like that.  
2009-08-13 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2270374

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
shad01 - 2009-07-08 12:05 PM

This is a cool thread topic! I really like the idea of finding a food blog. I am going to try that. I am really picky. I never liked onions as a kid, so I automatically grouped anything related to them as an I don't like. My Grandma used to try to sneak them into Sunday dinner dishes, but I could smell them as soon as we got inside her house and I wouldn't eat it.  I guess to tell the truth it comes down to what I know I like, and I guess I am just kind of lazy about food prep, so I would hate to try something new and not like it and have a ruined meal. I have certain veggies and fruits that I know I like and I stick with them. However, lately I have been trying to branch out. I dated a girl for a while who got me to try grilled peppers mixed in with some chicken and stuff, and I did like it! Peppers were one of the things I grouped into the onion family. I even put grilled onions on a fajita I had a few weeks ago, and I liked it. So with the veggies and fruit I know I need to branch out. I got lucky in the sweet department, I never really had a sweet tooth, and now I don't try new things there on purpose, I have a hard enough time with cookie dough. If I found out I loved rocky road ice cream it would be one more thing to battle. So for me, I think I want to try new stuff, I just was too lazy/worried, that I would not like it, then have to cook another meal.  However I am going to look into the food blog thing. I like that.  

Reading your post was like hearing about myself... I had the same experience with onions. My Mom always tried to sneak them in to dishes and as soon as I felt that crunch I had to reach for the water and swallow whatever was in my mouth no matter how un-chewed it was. To this day I cannot eat onions. I really wish I liked them. They are in everything!!! And living in Chicago I've never been able to appreciate the "Chicago Hot dog" because pretty much everything on it I don't like. I like all fruit but there are key veggies I just cannot make myself like. Onions, peppers, cucumbers, pickles, tomato...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Picky Eaters Rss Feed