General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake Weekend - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Guelph Lake Weekend - Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Guelph, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 31s
Overall Rank = 218/465
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/32
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site early, set up in transition and the went to register. After that we walked around for a bit, had a banana and some water. Forgot race belt at home so I had to go buy another one, they were only 5 bucks, so no big deal.
Event warmup:

Around 8 am we suited up and headed down to the water for a swim warmup, approx. 3/4 of the way to the first buoy and back. Would have liked to get a run in as well but ran out of time...
Swim
  • 36m 58s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

overall I was happy with the swim results, but I know I could have done better. My goal was to stay off to the side and out of traffic but for some reason I kept drifting back into the crowd which slowed me down a fair bit. Had goggles knocked off once, numerous elbows to the head, kicks to the face etc, the usual stuff!
What would you do differently?:

try and navigate a little better, definitely could shave off a few minutes by staying away from the "mob"
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

fairly good transition, I don't know how some of these people can do this in less than a minute...something to work on I guess. Had to be careful with all the mud and slippery grass.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 22s
  • 42 kms
  • 33.89 km/hr
Comments:

had an awesome ride! This is by far the fastest bike that I've done, averaged just over 35 KPH. I found the course pretty crowded however, so many racers today! I did have a couple of good one on one battles with a few people which was fun. I ran into a few people who were blocking the outside part of the lane which made it difficult to pass sometimes, but other than that, it was a good ride.

not too much, interested to see what my time would have been if the course wasn't so crowded.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

better transition time this time, no wetsuit to take off!

nothing
Run
  • 50m 46s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 05s  min/km
Comments:

pretty good run, muscle just above my right knee started to cramp up at the 3K mark, but worked itself out. Lots of water stations which I used...took a sip of water and dumped the rest on my head to help cool off.

maybe train a bit more to avoid muscle cramps, overall pretty good run
Post race
Event comments:

Overall very happy with my result, was aiming to finish under 3 hours and did it in 2:45, pretty good for my first Oly dist. 2 years ago when I did my first try a tri, there was no way I thought I would be doing this distance, but here I am!!

Last updated: 2008-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:58 | 1500 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 332/465
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU
Course: course was a 750m loop swam twice, mass start. This was the first mass swim start I have been involved in and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, tried to stay off to the side, out of the way!
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:22 | 42 kms | 33.89 km/hr
Overall: 158/465
Wind: Some
Course: lots of rolling hills, out and back course with some headwind going out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:46 | 10 kms | 05m 05s  min/km
Overall: 206/465
Course: fairly nice course throughout the park with some rolling hills, a mix of gravel and pavement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 9:37 AM

User image

Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Guelph Lake Weekend - Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake Weekend - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed