General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Training - Pro's Con's? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-23 10:17 AM

Subject: Indoor Training - Pro's Con's?
I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on training indoors.  I already own a good treadmill and plan to buy a bike trainer once I finally pull the trigger on a bike.

I ask because as reality sets in I realize I will probably be doing most of my training indoors.  I have a 4 month old son and as anyone with kids knows he demands a LOT of time.  It would be quite easy to sneak down and do an hour run or ride while he naps etc, but getting out of the house would prove difficult at this time.

Will this hamper my training if I am primary training indoors?  Aside from the boredom that is.

I would plan to get out and train outdoors as much as possible but with busy schedules it would probably be no more then once a week most weeks.

Keep in mind I have zero experience with competitive running, biking, swimming so I need to build miles in them all before I am worrying too much about times etc.

If this will be my primary training should I splurge a bit and get a better bike trainer that can simulate different things?

2009-06-23 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2236779

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Indoor Training - Pro's Con's?
Hi and welcome to BT!

I am in much the same position as you, with two young kids (and a dog) that require a lot of time and looking after. I'm training for an IM and my wife also works, so that means fitting in training when I can and often that means on the bike trainer. In fact, Saturday I spent 4 hours on the trainer, which wasn't awesome, but I DID get my training in. As I see it, here are the pro's and con's of indoor training:

PRO's:

You'll get your training in.
You will gain fitness.
Weather is no problem.

CON's:

It's not the same as riding or running outside. Your pace will likely be different than running/riding on pavement. Also, your body won't be acclimatized to different temps and weather conditions-- that can make a HUGE difference come raceday. You also won't develop critical bike handling skills.

Even with a CompuTrainer, it's not the same as riding and running up real hills and dealing with different types of terrain.

It can be boring as HECK. Even with a good movie/s on.

But when all is said and done, you have to train the way you can. Treadmills and trainers allow you to do that. Just keep in mind it's not the same as training outdoors. You still have to put in time on the bike and running paths.

Good luck!

Rich

2009-06-23 10:35 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Pros - what scoobysdad plus you can do very specific sessions on the trainer or treadmill (i.e. high intensity sessions)
Cons - we don't race indoors...

Bottom line - trainer-treadmills should be used to complement training, not to as a substitute.
2009-06-23 10:44 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Any training is better than no training.  Obviously, you will want to do some training outside (if for no other reason than it's less mind-numbing ).  But you can get plenty done indoors and if that's your best chance to get training done, then go for it.
2009-06-23 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
Spokane WA
Here are my thoughts and they are worth what you paid for them.

I find that I can go with more intensity on a trainer because I'm not having to worry about traffic, potholes, dogs and such. I tend to do shorter workouts with higher intensity on the trainer and longer rides outdoors. I have been doing this for a few weeks now and I feel like my riding is getting stronger.

The treadmill is a different matter. Where I live running in the winter can be treacherous so I do a lot of my winter running on a treadmill. In the spring when I transition to running outside it takes a few weeks to adjust. My pacing is usually off because the treadmill paces for me.

In the end you have to work with what you've got. Training indoors is better than nothing, but I would try to get outside as often as you can. Maybe a solution would be to do weekday sessions indoors and weekend long runs/bikes outdoors.

Let us know what you figure out!
2009-06-23 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2236897

photonic - 2009-06-23 11:47  Maybe a solution would be to do weekday sessions indoors and weekend long runs/bikes outdoors. Let us know what you figure out!

That's pretty much my plan as it stands right now.

Just so much unknown for us right now as this is our first child that I would hate to set a goal and not meet it based on time constraints.

But as long as indoor training works, then I know i will get there.  Luckily my goal triathlon isn't for a year so I have plenty of time to train and work out the kinks in training efficiency.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Training - Pro's Con's? Rss Feed