General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got my first flat! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-21 10:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: Got my first flat!
I am riding along and I notice that the rear tire is hitting pretty hard on some bumps. I don't know how it happened, but I think the tire lost air after hitting a big bump on the road. In any event, the rear tire went flat on the last mile of a 14-mile ride. People have been telling me that it is a good idea to learn how to change a flat prior to getting one in an event. There I am on the shoulder, bike flipped, tools out, tire in my lap and I have it fixed/changed in under 2 minutes and back on the road!!! I was pretty impressed with myself.

Is a tube worth fixing/patching? Or, because of the tires modest size, would it create a lumpy ride? Riding on shoulders with glass and other sharp objects will probably prove to be hazardous for the road cyclist. I have a feeling that this will not be the last time this happens. Where can I buy discounted tubes and cartridges?

2004-03-21 11:06 PM
in reply to: #13631

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Got my first flat!
I think patching is worthwhile. But, carrying a tube is always a good idea. Sometimes you just can't patch the hole! As far as discounts, www.performancebike.com has some tubes on sale now (more than 50% off). And check out www.trisports.com - see one of the other forums. We can get a 10% discount through BT!

And good job on your speedy work!

Cathy
2004-03-21 11:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Im a bike mechanic and i just buy a new tube... just seems like too much work to save 4 bucks, but then again im pretty lazy

I volunteered for a charity 50km ride as a mobile mechanic last year and I was fixing bikes and replacing tubes all day. It was such a thrill to me when i saw someone on the side of the road in need of help... with 1km to go, we entered the park where the finish was, when "pfffff pfffff pfffff pfffff pfffff....your kidding me!" a flat...so close yet so far away! fixing flats didnt seem so fun anymore

Not that this has anything to do with tubes vs patches but i thought i might tell you my story anyway,

aidan
2004-03-22 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
It all depends on how rich you are. I commute to work on my bike and get a lot of flats, more than one per week. So, I carry 3 or 4 spare tubes and patch them as often as I need to. Of course, for my upcoming tri I will replace the tires and tubes with brand new ones.
2004-03-22 10:51 AM

I agree with Michel. I always have a new tube available onĀ  a long ride or for a race, but I repair punctures as well, and use them until the 2nd or 3rd punture happens. In addition to not spending the money, I feel this helps keep at least a few old tubes from being prematurely added to the landfill.
2004-03-22 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
I always carry a spare tube with me. If I get a flat, I don't want to patch it on the side of the road. It is easier and more fun while watching TV. I use glue patch kits, that take 5 to 10 minutes to dry. They hold tighter and last longer then the instant patches.

You also mentioned cartriges. I bring a little pump with me. again, a reusable resource. I have thought about getting CO2 for races, but I am not that competative.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got my first flat! Rss Feed