Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Kelowna Cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-24 11:32 AM

Regular
Subject: Kelowna Cycling
Hi all,

I'm leaving for the the beautiful city of Kelowna on Friday and I'll be there for a week.  I'm bringing the tri-gear with me and am hoping somebody can suggest some good cycling routes I can do.  I'm looking for something in the 80-120k range and is not so busy with cars.  Any suggestions?  There are some group rides that leave from Kelowna Cycle that I may hook up with if I can't find anything.  Anybody with experience riding with that group?

Running down by lake downtown looks fun, but any suggestions on nice running routes would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

2009-06-24 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2239722

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Kelowna Cycling

I was in Kelowna the weekend before last racing my bike. I warmed up and cooled down on the roads, some, but I found the city to be a terrible place to ride. The drivers certainly are less courteous to cyclists than they are in Vancouver. The road race course seemed okay though. You can find the route here:

K-Town Classic Maps

I also talked to a girl that lives in Kelowna and she rides with the Kelowna Cycle group often and she says that their rides are very good. A lot of people come out and they split into different groups, so I'd check that out.

2009-06-24 2:22 PM

New user
Hello and welcome to Kelowna!

So, there are lots of riding group, running groups, etc..

Cycling specific:

Check out the Kelowna Bees. google search them..
There is a group ride every sunday as long as there is not snow or ice. They meet at the Bean scene coffee shop downtown and head out on a ride at 9am. The A group is pretty fast and they ride the same set route all over Kelowna from downtown to the Mission to Rutland to Ellison and back downtown. At one point they race near the end. This group will drop riders and not sweep up the back. They ride about 70-80km I think. The B group and possibly a C group goes out on a different ride or sometimes the A route a bit slower. They do stop at the tops of large hills to gather people up. They go about 70-90km as well. Both groups are friendly and many times people will drop off the group and head back downtown or home when they have had enough.

There is also a Saturday ride from Kelowna Cycle- they go into SE Kelowna away from cars and traffic and basically go for 2 hours.

Other groups have formed and the Kelowna Bees website have posted the various other groups. Most of these rides are free too!

oh Also- There is weekly or biweekly time trials - I think Fresh Air sponsers it. You pay for insurance and a drop in fee. It's every other Tuesday at Old Vernon road- near the Coke factory (close to the highway). This is a 16km timed course. Slower people usually try to get the smaller #s to go earlier than the faster people. Once per month I believe they do a hill time trial

Finally: Criterium in Winfield - insurance needed and a $3 drop in fee to ride around a 1km ish loop where you jostle for position amongst either the A ride or B ride people. Mostly pure cyclists do this event. It lasts for 30mins plus 2 laps. There are weekly prizes for "Lap winners" and overall winners..

Happy Cycling!

Heather

2009-06-24 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2240411

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

mararunner - 2009-06-24 12:22 PM Finally: Criterium in Winfield - insurance needed and a $3 drop in fee to ride around a 1km ish loop where you jostle for position amongst either the A ride or B ride people. Mostly pure cyclists do this event. It lasts for 30mins plus 2 laps. There are weekly prizes for "Lap winners" and overall winners.. Happy Cycling! Heather

I love this crit course. I think it is the one that the k-town classic used for the stage race last year. Anyway, it's a really safe course with wide corners, so if you are thinking of trying some crits, this is a good one to start with.

2009-06-25 9:06 AM

Regular
Awesome, thanks very much.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Kelowna Cycling Rss Feed