in reply to: #2244497

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: The new BO health care plan
TriRSquared - 2009-06-26 8:17 AM
Imjin - 2009-06-26 6:21 AM

I think some would take issue with trying to live a healthy lifestyle and paying their taxes and then having someone who lives a terrible unhealthy lifestyle BY CHOICE and lives off of the governments dollar getting the same level of care. They are already fall undeer the "common welfare" programs as there are numerous government programs to take care of them. The system that is being suggested punishes those that excel and rewards those that are middle of the road or below.

Its sort of like the insurance business where you do your research, but  a house in a "safe" area and you get hammered on your rates because someone builds a home in a known dangerous area ( coastal area prone to hurricane damage/known wildfire area/ known for flooding)

This is a giant issue in FL right now as after our intense hurricane season a few years ago insurance went through the roof. People who have paid for 20-30 years with no claims have had their rates double and triple even though they had zero claims even after Charlie and his friends paid a visit. Not exactly the same scenario but just added that as a sort of example.

Its a complicated topic with no easy solutions which is why I agree with changes being made but at  a slower pace so as to get as solid a system as possible

This is the exact same argument i made recently to a colleague.  If someone smokes, is grossly obese etc.. they should pay more.  Ideally there would be a sort of checklist in place.

Overweight : -1 point
Smokes -10 points
Exercise daily + 2 points  etc...

This way everyone is one the same playing field.  Want to lower you rates then change the things that deduct your points.  While I understand that preexisting conditions can have a big impact on the cost of coverage there need to be a limit.

I know this is a gross over simplification but I feel something like this could work.

Interesting idea. The engineer in me would love a fair, deterministic system.

The entire problem IS coming up with a workable point system that is equitable.  For instance, the cardiologist might tell you that running 3x/week is worth a +2, while the orthopod or rheumatologist might tell you that the pounding on the knees is worth a -1 over time.  The body of science to make it deterministic and fair just doesn't exist in a way that would stand up.

And let's say not to mention the behavioral changes in society that would come about when you have a child, and the first then they do after cutting the cord is taking a DNA sample to scan for markers that would predispose someone toward obesity, heart disease, diabetes, whatever. It's predisposition PLUS environment and behavior that contribute. That's a very slippery slope.  

IMHO, the inability to be precise with risk is exactly why insurance exists...to serve as a pooled resource. Time has shown that the law of large numbers works well....insurance as a means to protect people from risk they're unwilling to bear is useful.

2009-06-26 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2244497

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-26 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2244366

Pro
St Charles, IL

Imjin - 2009-06-26 5:21 AM
coredump - 2009-06-25 10:19 PM

Jackemy - 2009-06-25 10:08 PM Once you tell me how universal health care can ever be equal for all people, then I'll consider it. Once you let me know what liberal logic determines that giving person B health insurance at the labor of person A without person A placing restriction or demanding responsibility of person B makes person A equal to person B.

How does the fact that person B lives make person A responsible for person B? Or when liberals talk about stepping up and taking responsibility are liberals only talking about person A to the benefit of person B?

Am I my brother's keeper?

If I am, how many brother's do I keep?

And how long should I keep them? 

Do you resent your neighbor whose house is saved by the fire department your (collective) taxes pay for, if you yourself never have need to call upon the fire departments services?

You both pay, but they have derived value, where you have not.  Thus creating an unequal distribution of benefit.

Or perhaps, unequal distribution of benefits is not inherently a bad thing, but a way of providing for the "common welfare"?

I think some would take issue with trying to live a healthy lifestyle and paying their taxes and then having someone who lives a terrible unhealthy lifestyle BY CHOICE and lives off of the governments dollar getting the same level of care. They are already fall undeer the "common welfare" programs as there are numerous government programs to take care of them. The system that is being suggested punishes those that excel and rewards those that are middle of the road or below.

Its sort of like the insurance business where you do your research, but  a house in a "safe" area and you get hammered on your rates because someone builds a home in a known dangerous area ( coastal area prone to hurricane damage/known wildfire area/ known for flooding)

This is a giant issue in FL right now as after our intense hurricane season a few years ago insurance went through the roof. People who have paid for 20-30 years with no claims have had their rates double and triple even though they had zero claims even after Charlie and his friends paid a visit. Not exactly the same scenario but just added that as a sort of example.

Guess what, same thing happens with private insurance ( unhealthy people raising rates for healthy in the group ).  It happened at my company when we were much smaller. 

So, I don't buy that as a valid reason to toss out the idea of universal health care.  It is definitely an issue that should be looked at, but it's an issue that is faced regardless of whether you have a private health care system or a public one.

2009-06-26 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2244529

Elite
Raleigh

rkreuser - 2009-06-26 7:31 AM
TriRSquared - 2009-06-26 8:17 AM
Imjin - 2009-06-26 6:21 AM

The entire problem IS coming up with a workable point system that is equitable.  For instance, the cardiologist might tell you that running 3x/week is worth a +2, while the orthopod or rheumatologist might tell you that the pounding on the knees is worth a -1 over time.  The body of science to make it deterministic and fair just doesn't exist in a way that would stand up.

And let's say not to mention the behavioral changes in society that would come about when you have a child, and the first then they do after cutting the cord is taking a DNA sample to scan for markers that would predispose someone toward obesity, heart disease, diabetes, whatever. It's predisposition PLUS environment and behavior that contribute. That's a very slippery slope.  

IMHO, the inability to be precise with risk is exactly why insurance exists...to serve as a pooled resource. Time has shown that the law of large numbers works well....insurance as a means to protect people from risk they're unwilling to bear is useful.

First of all, regular insurance does the points system now. I know when I filled out my insurance I had to have a screening and had to answer questions on if I was a smoker, a drinker etc... and if I was my premium was a little different. I did get some credits for being more healthy and exercising. So if the private insurance companies can do it, the government can do it.
and here is the deal... if there is a point system and I get -1 point for "over excersising" it is my choice to do to things... pay the extra money or stop doing that said activity. Same thing with smoking, drinking or what ever. You would have a choice in the plan... that is all we are asking for. My original post was all about being forced to contribute and then taxed higher for making more money...
If my premium is higher because of activity or inactivity or even desease, I am fine with that. If my premium is higher because I make more... then I am not fine with it.... I would have no problem paying more because I had cancer...

As for kids... we all ready cover the poor kids thru medicare.... and would continue to have free health care till they are 18... then they would have to pay...

I guess this is the deal... If everyone would make a choice to get regular insurance... and here is the kicker... it is a choice. There are some poor people out there that would rather have 2 satalite dishes, a escalade with DVD player, and 1000 dvds in the house, go out to eat, and not have health insurance for their family because the govt will pick up the tab or they are counting other the other guy to pay it for them....
If we as a society make those who can pay, pay what everyone else is paying... Then we could afford have free health care for children, elderly, and the really sick.... But we do not... we sit back and say... oh little johnny is having problems finding a job that makes 50K a year and he got his wife prego again and this is their 4th... All he does is sit around and watch tv then goes out at night clubing in his car that is brand new... He has it so hard... I do not know how they will pay for this new baby...

Make the true "losers" out there get out and find a job and pay for their healthcare like we do... and we could have free healthcare for the people who really deserve it...

2009-06-26 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2244529

Champion
SRQ, FL
rkreuser - 2009-06-26 8:31 AM

Interesting idea. The engineer in me would love a fair, deterministic system.

Yeah the engineer in me tried to put specific #s on concepts too.  I agree it's not an easy problem to tackle but if you were to get a consensus from several sources I think it *could* work.  That's what actuaries do right?

I agree the DNA testing is a slippery slope but you'd just have to discount that.  Predisposition does not mean things will occur.

I had a kidney stone last year.  First one ever.  I did not hydrate enough and was over training.  I have since changed my drinking habits and more than likely will not have another one (but who knows)...

I recently applied for new insurance (my old insurance went from $650 a month to $1000 a month).  Guess what.  They'll cover me but not for kidney stone... ever... I mean come on...

Fine, increase my premiums a little bit per month.  That'll more than cover it if I have another one but refuse to cover it?

I cut myself once too.  Should, they discount that as well?

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-06-26 8:47 AM
2009-06-26 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2244660

Master
Portland, ME
coredump - 2009-06-26 8:38 AM

Imjin - 2009-06-26 5:21 AM
coredump - 2009-06-25 10:19 PM

Jackemy - 2009-06-25 10:08 PM Once you tell me how universal health care can ever be equal for all people, then I'll consider it. Once you let me know what liberal logic determines that giving person B health insurance at the labor of person A without person A placing restriction or demanding responsibility of person B makes person A equal to person B.

How does the fact that person B lives make person A responsible for person B? Or when liberals talk about stepping up and taking responsibility are liberals only talking about person A to the benefit of person B?

Am I my brother's keeper?

If I am, how many brother's do I keep?

And how long should I keep them? 

Do you resent your neighbor whose house is saved by the fire department your (collective) taxes pay for, if you yourself never have need to call upon the fire departments services?

You both pay, but they have derived value, where you have not.  Thus creating an unequal distribution of benefit.

Or perhaps, unequal distribution of benefits is not inherently a bad thing, but a way of providing for the "common welfare"?

Guess what, same thing happens with private insurance ( unhealthy people raising rates for healthy in the group ).  It happened at my company when we were much smaller. 

So, I don't buy that as a valid reason to toss out the idea of universal health care.  It is definitely an issue that should be looked at, but it's an issue that is faced regardless of whether you have a private health care system or a public one.

That happend not because of private insurance but because of government community rating regulations. Communty rating essential entitles unhealthy people lower insurance rates which are subsidized by healthy people.This decreases the number of healthy people in an insurance pool because of, cost/risk decision making, thereby increasing the cost to insure the pool as it is made up of a disproportionately high number of unhealthy people.

2009-06-26 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2241995

2009-06-26 9:57 AM

Elite
Raleigh

Instead of TAXING rich people to pay for the system. Why not set up tax breaks for the wealthy and have them funnel money into a charitable organization of their choice and have the non-profits help with medical bills? It does not have to be crazy tax breaks but could work like a HSA.. say, you can give 1% tax free on your check to said orginization on your check, have it direct deposited to the Org. Then you count it as a charitable contribution on your taxes at the end of the year....

I would think more people would give if you do not penalize them with a tax... It has been prven that more people give during boom times than in recessions... Taxes work the same way... If you are taxed more, you give less... same concept.

The the Org could pay for bills that the indigent could not.

AND you still have to get the people who can pay something into the plan, get freakin health insurance... If you can afford a $500 car payment, cable TV, a cell phone, and smokes, and or alcohol you can afford to get health insurance on yourself....

2009-06-26 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2244933

Master
Seattle, California

PennState - 2009-06-26 7:45 AM Canada's system is not an ideal one to compare with... it is not as highly rated as many in Europe and is the 2nd most expensive per capita next to the USA.

There are many others who spend more then we do and there are many other countries where the difference is a few hundred dollars a person.  I do think some European countries do it better then we do, but it's not true that we spend the 2nd most per capita. 

2009-06-26 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2245108

2009-06-26 11:10 AM

Master
Seattle, California

No flaming needed.  I completely get your point of view.  The US is one of a hand full of countries that is able to provide a high quality of care to a large group of people.  Your system is flawed, but so is ours and frankly I don't think a perfect system exists.  The question is and always will be with the issue of healthcare what are we willing to comprimise and what are we not.  In the end no matter what is decided someone gets worse service because of it and someone gets better service.  How to balance those is a philisophical question jsut as much as it is a practical question.   

2009-06-26 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2245311

2009-06-26 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2244933

Pro
Irvine, California
PennState - 2009-06-26 7:45 AM The current US system is broken. The current solutions people are looking at seem quite worrisome to me. Canada's system is not an ideal one to compare with... it is not as highly rated as many in Europe and is the 2nd most expensive per capita next to the USA.

I don't have the answer, but am very concerned about what Obama (and much more concerned about what liberal Dems like Pelosi are debating) is debating.

Again, to help dispel myths... Cancer patienst are not thrown to the wolves without insurance. To imply this is ignorant. I can tell you in Central PA what happens if someone has no insurance with cancer...

1. There is a strong attempt to retro-actively get medical assitance for the course of her treatment. This is often the best and most used approach.
2. Long-term payment plans. We do this knowing full-well that we are not going to get paid in full. We accept this.
3. Charitable groups. Many groups in our area help raise money or donate money to individuals needing cancer treatment without insurance.
4. Pro-bono. We do this at a complete loss when other options are exhausted. Yes I have done surgery for a complete loss in these cases. Never have I said "but I am not getting paid" never have I said "you will just have to suffer through your cancer"

I will not speak for all of the USA, but I think it is completely erroneous to say that we let un-insured cancer patients die without therapy. We try our best.

I was the one that implied this in the other thread -- well, not implied, I out and out stated it -- and for that I apologize.  I didn't realize there were so many other avenues available.

However, wouldn't a universal solution be better for you as a doctor, since then there would never be any question about what payment avenue to follow?  And wouldn't it cut way down on paperwork/bureaucracy, since no one would need to spend their time working through all the different options?
2009-06-26 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2245396

2009-06-26 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2245396

Elite
Raleigh

Tripolar - 2009-06-26 11:32 AM
PennState - 2009-06-26 7:45 AM The current US system is broken. The current solutions people are looking at seem quite worrisome to me. Canada's system is not an ideal one to compare with... it is not as highly rated as many in Europe and is the 2nd most expensive per capita next to the USA.

I don't have the answer, but am very concerned about what Obama (and much more concerned about what liberal Dems like Pelosi are debating) is debating.

Again, to help dispel myths... Cancer patienst are not thrown to the wolves without insurance. To imply this is ignorant. I can tell you in Central PA what happens if someone has no insurance with cancer...

1. There is a strong attempt to retro-actively get medical assitance for the course of her treatment. This is often the best and most used approach.
2. Long-term payment plans. We do this knowing full-well that we are not going to get paid in full. We accept this.
3. Charitable groups. Many groups in our area help raise money or donate money to individuals needing cancer treatment without insurance.
4. Pro-bono. We do this at a complete loss when other options are exhausted. Yes I have done surgery for a complete loss in these cases. Never have I said "but I am not getting paid" never have I said "you will just have to suffer through your cancer"

I will not speak for all of the USA, but I think it is completely erroneous to say that we let un-insured cancer patients die without therapy. We try our best.

I was the one that implied this in the other thread -- well, not implied, I out and out stated it -- and for that I apologize.  I didn't realize there were so many other avenues available.

However, wouldn't a universal solution be better for you as a doctor, since then there would never be any question about what payment avenue to follow?  And wouldn't it cut way down on paperwork/bureaucracy, since no one would need to spend their time working through all the different options?

Uh no... easy question... Do you want the government telling you what you can make???? Ask any government employee and they will tell you heck no.
Why would a doctor spend all those years in college and going thru the crap of residency, hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans just to turn around and have the government say under the universal healthcare system you can only make $85,000 a year or less.
Take a look at public defenders.. I know here in NC they can make as little as $45,000 a year. There is not way I would go thru all of that college and the cost of student loans to make as much as someone that works at the AT&T store...

You take away the incentive to make money and a lot (note I did not say all) of people will not go into that profession... just look at teachers...

the way you have to keep health care low is to control the costs... i.e. salaries, expenses, research.
Alot of the incentive for drug companies to develope drugs is the amount they can make in profit... ie ED drugs, sinus drugs etc. And there is actually a lot of cross drugs that are found out to help other symptoms that if not developed for one thing to make a profit, would not have been found out to help the other...

You take a way the incentive to make a profit and the desire to make innovations will go away.... Yes there will be some people that will do stuff for the good of human kind, but the majority of us wants to make some money for our trouble... There have been a lot of medical innovations made by companies for the purpose of profits... not life threatining drugs for cancer, aids etc... but for drugs that help people everyday that may not have even been developed if some government agency said the drug was low on the totem pole list and we cannot fund that program at this time... think how far down the ploe drugs to prevent pregnancies would be or that little blue pill for that matter....

again just look at how the government psends money in other things it controls, that is how you know what you will get with universal healthcare.

2009-06-26 12:12 PM

Pro
Irvine, California
How does it work now with Medicare/Medicaid?  Are doctors paid way too little for their work?  Are you saying that if the whole system was like Medicare, no one would want to become a doctor?

2009-06-26 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2245516

Master
Seattle, California

trigods - 2009-06-26 10:04 AM

Why would a doctor spend all those years in college and going thru the crap of residency, hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans just to turn around and have the government say under the universal healthcare system you can only make $85,000 a year or less. 

I don't buy that arguement.  Med school is just as competative in Canada as it is in the US.  And when you take into account the lower cost of malpractice insurance doctors make similar amounts of money in Canada.  There are many specialties here where the average wage is in excess of $400,000 a year and a few where the average is over 1 million a year (neuro-surgons as an example).

2009-06-26 12:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
Best news yet is that if you are a union member your health benefits will not be taxed, just added to pay back all that union election money spent!! 

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aDvu77pZr7k4

The corruption in politics is just making me sick.  Between this and the cap and trade stupidity proposed by Obama, I am seriously disgusted with how Pelosi, Obama and crew are so willing to destroy our already fragile economy.
2009-06-26 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2245556

Elite
Raleigh

Tripolar - 2009-06-26 12:12 PM How does it work now with Medicare/Medicaid?  Are doctors paid way too little for their work?  Are you saying that if the whole system was like Medicare, no one would want to become a doctor?

Not no one but I am sure there would be less to graduate...

As a doctor in the state of TN (I can only speak to this state and laws) you can refuse to treat non-emergency medicare and tncare (the states medical welfare program) or offer services to them. Because yes, they do only allow certain charges for certain services. And the ones that do treat them can pass the losses onto regular folks.

simple econ 101... If it costs $100 for a X-ray and the government will only pay $50 for a medicare patient. The doctor either eats the other $50 or passes the costs to other patients thru charging them a little xtra... The fact that the government will only pay $50 does not change real cost of the x-ray. A doctor can only eat so many $50 charges before he realizes he needs to get out of the business because it is not worth it.
So then I guess the government tells the Xray company what they can charge to the doctor because $100 is too much and the government will not pay that. So then the xray company charges less because they know the government will not pay the full $100... so they make less and since it costs money to develope new technology... where will the funds to come up with the 3D xray come from? The company does not have it because they had to slash the profits because the government will only pay $50 for a xray and that is all the doctor can charge...
so now where will the company get money to develope and buy new machines... Oh I know, thru a government grant!!!

Where does the government grant come from to pay for new R&D and more machines???

TAX DOLLARS.... ding ding ding... so the government raises taxes (see premiums on your medical) to pay for grants for industries to develope faster and more advanced machines to keep the costs down so the companies can sell the machines for less, to the doctors who can only chage $50 dollars for the xray because that is all that a doctor will get from the government..

That is the simple econ 101 of how the government would keep the cost of healthcare down

If you really do not think that is how it works.. Ask the milk producers how they get government subsidies to keep the price of milk affordable....

2009-06-26 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2245556

Champion
Tripolar - 2009-06-26 12:12 PM How does it work now with Medicare/Medicaid?  Are doctors paid way too little for their work?  Are you saying that if the whole system was like Medicare, no one would want to become a doctor?

Most physicians don't take Medicaid unless it's in the inpatient setting (where we don't have a choice) because of the low reimbursement rate compared to private insurance.  The same is true to a lesser degree with Medicare.  Our Medicare patients here have a very hard time trying to find primary care doctors who will still take it without some sort of supplemental policy.
2009-06-26 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2245572

Master
Portland, ME
Global - 2009-06-26 12:18 PM

I don't buy that arguement.  Med school is just as competative in Canada as it is in the US.  And when you take into account the lower cost of malpractice insurance doctors make similar amounts of money in Canada.  There are many specialties here where the average wage is in excess of $400,000 a year and a few where the average is over 1 million a year (neuro-surgons as an example).

So if the issue regarding cost is tort reform, then why not have tort reform and leave my insurance alone?

It is pretty stupid to change the engine when the tires are flat.

Edited by Jackemy 2009-06-26 12:30 PM

2009-06-26 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2245572

Elite
Raleigh

I would buy it in Canada but her in the good ole US where government employees make very little compared to people in the private sector... I can see it happening.
look at these jobs and tell me that the public secotr job is making the same or close to what the same job pays in the private sector.
lawyer
teacher
professor
doctor (see state run hospitals)
military- contract for the military
contractor
surveyor

2009-06-26 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2245604

Elite
Raleigh

DerekL - 2009-06-26 12:27 PM

Most physicians don't take Medicaid unless it's in the inpatient setting (where we don't have a choice) because of the low reimbursement rate compared to private insurance.  The same is true to a lesser degree with Medicare.  Our Medicare patients here have a very hard time trying to find primary care doctors who will still take it without some sort of supplemental policy.

I knew it was that way in TN... thanks for chiming in Derek

2009-06-26 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2245616

2009-06-26 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2245616

Jackemy - 2009-06-26 10:29 AM

So if the issue regarding cost is tort reform, then why not have tort reform and leave my insurance alone?

It is pretty stupid to change the engine when the tires are flat.

Ding Ding Ding we have a WINNER!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The new BO health care plan Rss Feed  

of 7