of 7

2009-06-26 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2245616

User image

Subject: RE: The new BO health care plan

Jackemy - 2009-06-26 10:29 AM
Global - 2009-06-26 12:18 PM

trigods - 2009-06-26 10:04 AM

Why would a doctor spend all those years in college and going thru the crap of residency, hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans just to turn around and have the government say under the universal healthcare system you can only make $85,000 a year or less. 

I don't buy that arguement.  Med school is just as competative in Canada as it is in the US.  And when you take into account the lower cost of malpractice insurance doctors make similar amounts of money in Canada.  There are many specialties here where the average wage is in excess of $400,000 a year and a few where the average is over 1 million a year (neuro-surgons as an example).

So if the issue regarding cost is tort reform, then why not have tort reform and leave my insurance alone?

It is pretty stupid to change the engine when the tires are flat.

Ding Ding Ding we have a WINNER!

2009-06-26 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2245758

User image

PennState - 2009-06-26 11:03 AM

So if the issue regarding cost is tort reform, then why not have tort reform and leave my insurance alone?

Jack, what do you think holds up tort reform?

Lawyers.

2009-06-26 1:18 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

And here it is....the medical establishment brings up "tort reform".  "Tort reform" (what ever that means) will do nothing to lessen the health care costs.  (Usually "tort reform" means capping damages in some way shape or form, which of course limits the liability of doctors and drug companies.  Obviously, if I was a doctor or a drug company I'd be in favor of tort reform too)  The reality is that in states that have some type of cap to damages the cost of health care was uneffected after the imposition of those caps. (In Fla. after caps were instituted the average cost of health care actually rose, and has continued to rise.) Additionally, a Harvard study showed that the cost to the health care system of tort actions represents less than 1% of the total health care system costs.  (And just to the doctors that are reading this, here's an interesting tid bit, your malpractice insurance rates have no actual relationship to actual tort actions.  Malpractice liability insurance is the most profitable causualty insurance for insurance companies.  Your'e paying for insurance company profits.  That's right, the highest rate of profits is for medical malpractice insurance!!)  Interestingly, another Harvard study estimated that less than 20% of all negligently injured patients ever file any type of civil suit.  And of those that do file less than 5% actually recover.

Is tort reform needed, probably.  But that's simply because all systems need tweeking over time. 

However, it defies reality to assert that the major reason for high cost health care is tort issues.  But, it's easy to blame attorneys, we're easy targets (And I don't practice in this area of the law, I'm a prosecutor).

Oh also, in Fla. when the medical industry was fighting for damage caps a second initiative was placed for a vote, This initiative would have required Doctors to have their license to practice medicine revoked if they were found to have been grossly negligent on three seperate occassions.  The medical establishment fought this.  Go figure.

The reality is that Health Care and all it encompasses is BIG PROFITABLE business.  And no one wants to give up their slice of the pie.  They would agree to reform but it's always the other guy that is the problem.

2009-06-26 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
PennState - 2009-06-26 1:03 PM

Jack, what do you think holds up tort reform?

I assume that is rhetorical. But it is easy enough to follow the flow of campaign contributions from associations representing lawyers.

Edited by Jackemy 2009-06-26 1:23 PM
2009-06-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2245814

User image

Champion
Brock Samson - 2009-06-26 1:18 PM

And here it is....the medical establishment brings up "tort reform". 

Where has the "medical establishment" brought this up in this thread?  I see people asking questions.

2009-06-26 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2245814

User image

Champion

And just to the doctors that are reading this, here's an interesting tid bit, your malpractice insurance rates have no actual relationship to actual tort actions. 

In Texas (where I practice), med mal premiums have gone down significantly since a cap on non-economic awards was instituted.  Do you think this is unrelated?

2009-06-26 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2245853

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

DerekL - 2009-06-26 2:26 PM

And just to the doctors that are reading this, here's an interesting tid bit, your malpractice insurance rates have no actual relationship to actual tort actions. 

In Texas (where I practice), med mal premiums have gone down significantly since a cap on non-economic awards was instituted.  Do you think this is unrelated?

Has health care costs gone down in Texas?  The last data I showed was a resounding "no".  That like all other states the cost of Health care to the consumer has continued to rise steadly in line with the national average.  So, you're keeping more of your money due to a reduction in your med. mal. premium.  But your industry hasn't passed that savings on to the consumer.  If I am right about the numbers, I think this actually adds to my argument that the legal professions role in the health care costs is minimum at best.

(I don't know if you have personally.  If you have fantastic.  But your industry as a whole has not)

2009-06-26 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2241995

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-26 1:46 PM

2009-06-26 1:47 PM

Elite
Venture Industries,

Specifically to DerekL:

I'm not advocating taking or capping doctors salaries.  I'm not blaming the medical profession for the health care crisis.  That would be like blaming solely the insurance industry or the drug companies or the legal profession.  The point I was trying to make is that all sectors of the "Health Care" industry are to blame.  Focusing on one part or the other as the central "cause" of the problem is disengenious.

For years people have been pointing at the legal profession and arguing or asserting that it is the cost of med. mal. suits that is driving up the cost of health care.  The reality is that it is not true.  At least it is not true to extent that this portion of the puzzle is the major contributing factor.  The number and amount of successful med. mal claims is infentesimally small compared to the other pieces of the puzzle.

As an attorney I would agree to tort reform if the medical provider industry (Doctors, hospitals) also agreed to reform.  Also you shouldn't agree to reform unless the insurance industry agrees to reform.  Likewise the insurance industry shouldn't agree to reform unless the drug companies agree to reform.  It's all interwoven.  Each part plays against each other, and in turn each part plays one another against each other in the court of public opinion.  And all of the industries do so in an attempt to protect their own self interests ($$$$$$)

My previous post may have come off snarkie and as a personal attack on you and your profession.  I didn't mean it that way.  Iwas simply trying to look at the component numbers.

2009-06-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2245878

Champion
Brock Samson - 2009-06-26 1:32 PM

DerekL - 2009-06-26 2:26 PM

Has health care costs gone down in Texas?  The last data I showed was a resounding "no".  That like all other states the cost of Health care to the consumer has continued to rise steadly in line with the national average.  So, you're keeping more of your money due to a reduction in your med. mal. premium.  But your industry hasn't passed that savings on to the consumer.  If I am right about the numbers, I think this actually adds to my argument that the legal professions role in the health care costs is minimum at best.

(I don't know if you have personally.  If you have fantastic.  But your industry as a whole has not)

How exactly would I "pass that on to the consumer"?  Billing is standardized and is controlled by the insurance companies and Medicare.  There are small variations based on locality, but there's not much we do that changes reimbursement/billing.  We can charge whatever we want, but we're stuck with agreed upon reimbursement based on our associations with those plans.

Physician compensation is only about 10% of total health care costs anyway.  We're not the reason health care costs so much.

2009-06-26 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2245921

Champion
Brock Samson - 2009-06-26 1:47 PM

My previous post may have come off snarkie and as a personal attack on you and your profession.  I didn't mean it that way.  Iwas simply trying to look at the component numbers.

No problems.  Like me, you're blunt about things and are passionate about what you post. 

I completely agree that the problems isn't any one part of the system.  I do defend my part because it's what I know best.
2009-06-26 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2245921

2009-06-26 1:55 PM

Edited by PennState 2009-06-26 1:56 PM
2009-06-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2245920

Elite
Venture Industries,

PennState - 2009-06-26 2:46 PM The plaintiffs bar is a large contributor to the political process. I have zero hope that anything would ever improve with this issue. They are the #1 contributor to the Dems, and since the congress and president are Dems... it just ain't gonna happen. In fact nothing happened even with Bush and a Rep congress as well. Too powerful a lobby.

I love the arguement that tort issues don't affect cost... ever heard of defensive medicine???

(1) The AMA and the Drug Companies and Medical Industry exercise no power in the political process.  Riiiighghghtttt..... Your industry has absolutely no lobbyists!!!!  Seriously?

(2)  You've mis stated my argument.  I NEVER said that tort issues "don't affect" costs.  Never said it,  because I don't beleive it.

(3) What I said was that the role of tort issues in the Health Care system costs is in truth negligible compared to other factors.

(4) My point is, and I'll make it clear, that the medical provider industry and the drug companies have attempted to, and successfully, shifted the blame from themselves to lawyers.  They have actively argued that the major cost to the Health Care system is tort issues.  This is a claim that is not based in reality. Over and over it has been demonstrated, independently of the various bar associations, that tort issues comprise only the smallest fraction of health care costs.  However, this shift in perception against bad old rich lawyers, has allowed the medical providers to  lobby for, and have in many states successfully pushed through damage caps. 

(5) Is there a cost to the health care system for litigation and tort issues: Yes.  Is it the major cost....Not even close.  Blaming the lawyers for the high cost of health care is a smoke screen and subtrafuge. 

2009-06-26 1:57 PM

2009-06-26 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2245954

Elite
Venture Industries,

PennState - 2009-06-26 2:57 PM ^^^ wish you would have read my subsequent posts. Sorry you mis-understood me, as I don't really disagree with the heart of your arguement.

We were typing at the same time.

You go cure someone, I'll go put a criminal in prison!

2009-06-26 1:59 PM

2009-06-26 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2245961

2009-06-26 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2245951

Champion
Brock Samson - 2009-06-26 1:56 PM

Is there a cost to the health care system for litigation and tort issues: Yes.  Is it the major cost....Not even close.  Blaming the lawyers for the high cost of health care is a smoke screen and subtrafuge. 

I certainly don't blame it solely, but I can tell you for a fact that the way I practice is directly linked to fear of lawsuits.  Far more tests are ordered than are necessary.  Patients are kept in the hospital far longer than they would be otherwise at times.  For those who have actually been sued for malpractice previously, this practice of defensive medicine is even worse. 

Does the drunk guy who comes in after falling and hitting hit head need a $700 CT scan of his head?  Nope, but he gets it.  Does everybody with an inkling of chest pain need to be admitted to be observed?  Nope, but they do.  I could go on all day about similar situations.  We're all looking for the rare exception to the rule, because that's the one that inevitably comes back to bite you.

Would we automatically revert to "common sense" medicine if we suddenly had no fear of lawsuits?  Not completely I'm sure, and I acknowledge that freely.  I do know that my practice habits would change significantly were that the case.  I can only speak for me.
2009-06-26 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2245971

2009-06-26 2:10 PM

2009-06-26 2:29 PM

Master
Seattle, California

I think that one thing that we can come to agreement on out of this discussion is that trying to solve this issue and put out a plan in one summer is an absolute recipe for disaster.  You can say you want a universal system all you want but the complex interdependency of all of the stakeholders will take a long time to sort out.  Looks like a 5 year plan, not a 5 month plan.  I firmly believe in the ideals behind Canada's system but after 40 years we are still trying to figure things out.  Good luck getting it right in 5 months.    

2009-06-26 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2245995

Denver, CO
PennState - 2009-06-26 1:10 PM

Also, it has worsened in the 9 years I have been in central PA... no-one goes the the ER with 'belly pain' without getting a CT first... the cost is staggering, but they are afraid to miss that appendicitis.

Also would like to point out that this is a pretty civilized discussion on a contentious topic. Good job.

I'm not sure who "requires" the CT scan. When I've interviewed physicians about tests some will say that one of the reasons some physician do tests is that they get reimbursed for the test. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why when I went to see a physician about knee pain that the first thing the office did before the physician ever met me was to do multiple x-rays of my knee. I would have preferred to see the physician first so they could do an evaluation and determine if the x-rays were necessary. I am fairly certain that evidence-based medicine would mean that there would be a determination if a test was necessary and not simply a standard operating procedure. I've talked to others about similar situations and they have stated similar physician procedures where it is test first then meet the physician.

I've also interviewed physician about the conditions on which they give tests and the majority of answers do not match evidence-based medical practices. There is some pretty good evidence that physician are reluctant to follow best practices (such as the Goldman prediction rule on myocardial infarction) and rely on their own past experiences instead.

See:
Impact of a clinical decision rule on hospital triage of patients with suspected acute cardiac ischemia in the emergency department
Reilly. 2002
JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 288, No. 3, pp. 342
(ISSN: 0098-7484)
2009-06-26 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2245948

Master
Portland, ME
PennState - 2009-06-26 1:55 PM Yep as Derek says, I don't get to charge what I want... what I get in re-imbursement is decided by others... medicare, insurances etc.
BTW when your (as in I mean you the patient) insurance premium goes up... the same insurance company tries to actually pay me LESS. Fun huh?

And replaceing one third payer bureaucracy which is private insurers with another, the government, is not going to fix that exact problem.

Edited by Jackemy 2009-06-26 5:21 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The new BO health care plan Rss Feed  

of 7