General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anchor Bay Tri??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-03 4:46 PM

Subject: Anchor Bay Tri???
Hey!  I have a friend coming into town for the Anchor Bay Tri (July 11) - her first tri! - and I'm the idiot who said I'd race with her and then missed the sign up (yup, who's the smart guy?).  

SO...if anyone out there is interested I would SUPER A LOT APPRECIATE Tongue out the opportunity to buy a spot in the race.  I know, far fetched, but I gotta tri (ha. ha.).

Thanks, all!  

(And PLEASE pass this on to anyone you know who signed up but can't do the race.

2009-07-03 11:17 PM
in reply to: #2260617

User image

Marysville, Michigan
Subject: RE: Anchor Bay Tri???
Wow! I just had a conversation at the pool this week with a guy I know. He said that he had signed up for this race, but felt he was not ready for the swim. I will call him and post up later. Hang in there!
2009-07-04 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Don't mean to hijack here, but I just got back from a swim out in Anchor Bay.  The water is COLD, be prepared.  I talked with the lifeguards at the beach where the race is being held and they indicated that the course would be a simple out and back again this year. They wouldn't let me swim out passed the roped off swim area, but I was able to get in a pretty good swim going back and forth across the area at  the outside limit.  The water is very cloudy, but despite a fair amount of wind there was almost no wave action.  Good Luck to everyone racing! Laughing
2009-07-05 7:24 AM
in reply to: #2260959

Possible serendipity??  Laughing I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks, Paul, for your help and for reading my post!

Also, good to know about the water - thank goodness for full wetsuits.  I did a tri with 3D at Interlochen 2 years ago before I had a wetsuit and it took me into the run before I could fully feel my extremities; my husband said that he was legitimately worried that I wouldn't make it thru the swim due to hypothermia.  Needless to say, that next week?  Wetsuits for both of us.  Forget about flotation - I'm in it for the WARMTH!!

Amanda
2009-07-05 4:38 PM

Master

Wow...I wasn't expecting to wear my wetsuit, but I'm pleasantly surprised to find out it's cold enough!  Phew!

Sorry to the OP, but this is the first race my family is actually going to come out to watch.  Otherwise, I might have considered.  If I get the swine flu between now and then...I'll let you know.  : )

2009-07-06 8:37 AM

User image

Marysville, Michigan
Rockpig:
I have been unable to contact that guy, but I expect to see him at the pool on Tuesday night. I know this is getting late for you, but it's worth a try. (Randy T.-If you're reading this...post up!)

Regarding the swim: Several of us, from "Team Sandbag", swam there on Sunday morning about 8:30. The water was actually not cold at all. Yes, it's sooooo cloudy that you can't see your outstretched hand, but other than that it was perfect, with no current to fight. Sandy bottom in the shallows, and very little seaweed to freak you out (just in case that's an issue!.) There were no lifeguards on duty yet, so we were able to swim out for about ten minutes and then back. Packet pick-up is between 6 & 7 AM, with award ceremonies being held at the Green Street Taven...a bar...WOOHOO!!!

2009-07-06 9:11 AM

Excellent!  Thanks for your help!  I'll keep a look out for your post...And no worries about timing!
2009-07-06 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Lotsa questions.  I am a complete psyco-basketcase when it comes to event planning so this one has me spooked (my apologies that my first post is a nutter like this).  Active hasn't even sent me a confirmation email on this, let alone instructions, course maps, etc, etc.  I called up to NB parks and rec and asked about when transition closes, heat sizes & course maps.  I didn't get a heck of a lot of information, other than that he thought I should have my bike racked and ready by 7am to walk down to the beach and that he thinks the swim is an out and back.  Does anyone have a little bit more info and, possibly, course maps?  If not, anyone willing to map them out on mapmyride/mapmyrun?  Is there a website out there with more information?  I have Googled the heck out of the event and BegginerTriathlete posts seem to be the only detail I can find.  Where is awards-pub in realtion to start finish and any ideas about what time they'll hand them out?  I may have to dart to a Little League All-Star Game right after & would like to plan ahead.

FWIW on the late entry, I got the feeling they were going to have race day registration and maybe they just closed on Active Early.  I'd call the City @ 586-725-0291 and see if they'd email or fax an entry or determine if you can race day register.

TIA for any additional course info, etc.
2009-07-06 11:44 AM

User image

Marysville, Michigan
AeroBaldness! LOL! (I can relate.)
Anyways, 'definitely not a nutter post. Registration is already closed, as of a couple Fridays ago, so if you're in...you're in.

The swim start will be a mass start in the water (no sprint from the beach.) I hear it's a TOTAL washing machine at the start, so I will be waaaaaaaaay off to the side and back a little. It's a straight out-and-back swim. However, when you exit the water you will head up the beach, up a small stretch of concrete steps, and across to the north side of Front Street to get to T1.

The bike route heads northwest on Washington and crosses the I-94 overpass, then you turn around and head back but the return is a convoluted series of turns through town. PLEASE make certain your brakes work well. There's one (slight?) downhill section where you need to make a 90° left-turn at the bottom (use your imagination!)

Anyways, when I was there on Sunday, a "wonderful" young lady gave us her map of the entire race route. One of our buddies took that and was going to scan it and email it to the rest of us. When I get that I will make that available to everyone...somehow.

The tavern is only a few very short blocks from the start/finish. 'Hope this helps, but stay tuned...
2009-07-06 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

Awesome info, Paul, THANKS!!!  I got my ### kicked in the 40 & up wave start for the Sprint down @ Motor City, so I think I'll heed your advice and lay back (I still have what I think are teeth marks in my left elbow).  I laid back at the start of the 1/2 mile swim at The Kensington Tri a little over a week ago and was able to swim it in just over 16 minutes with very little thrashing and even a couple short drafts. 

Hijacking a bit, I have a short & a full farmer John wetsuit.  Looking at the long term forecast, it is going to be HOT on Friday and warm and humid on Saturday (with a chance of rain).  I am going to wear the shorty as I think the full would be a bit on the warm side.  The water temp at Kent Lake was 77ish and the shorty was very comfortable.  Those that plan on wearing a full, know that you might be a little warm, even with the cooler water temps if the air is in the 70s and humid.

2009-07-06 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2264719

did you receive the map?  I sent it out this morning to Pat.  He should have forwarded it to all.

2009-07-06 6:51 PM

User image

Marysville, Michigan
Yep, 'got the map! Ok, everyone, I have a "Map My ride" account. Can anyone tell me how I can post-up an image? (jpeg, bitmap, .tiff, etc?)
On that note, in looking at the map more closely, the transition does not look the way that it was explained to me. No worries, mon! The race route is probably what we are all most interested in anyways. The transition will be...somewhere!
Thanks for the heads-up, Bill. Brian forwarded to me the map.
2009-07-07 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2265851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
I went ahead & mapped the ride:  http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/MI/New%20Baltimore/670124697404979422 I'll try and get the run done soon.
2009-07-07 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
The run:  http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/mi/grosse%20pointe/645124697531027078 (its messy, MapMyRun isn't as slick as MapMyRide).  And, for giggles, the swim course:  http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/mi/new%20baltimore/608124697575046095 
2009-07-07 4:09 PM

User image

Marysville, Michigan
Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. I still don't know if the swim begins just off the beach area, or to the park area that is adjacent and southwest of the beach.
Anyways, the pool is closed today, and I wanted to check out the bike route anyways, so I'm heading down for a nice easy swim and a look around.
2009-07-07 4:12 PM

User image

Marysville, Michigan
Oh! Rockpig: Unfortunately I won't be seeing that guy tonight because our swimm class was cancelled. Other than his reading this post, and responding, I don't think there's anything I can do for you. I'm really sorry, but there's still hope. Hang in there!

2009-07-08 6:56 AM

Bummer!  But, such is life, right? 

Good luck to everyone racing!!Laughing
2009-07-09 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

I am not liking the look of the forecast for Saturday morning.  If the weather doesn't cooperate, gotta figure they'll either:

• Scrap the swim & make it a Duathlon (which I'd hate)
  • Wait out the bad weather is there is some (which I'd hate)
  • Postpone the event for a day (which I'd hate)

Just in case folks here haven't biked on a wet course, some quick advice:  stay off the painted lane markers, etc as much as possible.  On skinny tires, these are like ice when they are wet.

2009-07-11 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
Well, we raced in the storm.  Most people were out of the water before the rain started, but the heaviest downpour occurred while most were on the bike.  Made for some interesting cornering.  Overall, the race was fun, but I'd rather do it next time while the sun was shining.
2009-07-12 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2278561

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

For an event run by a Parks & Rec Department versus a big race outfit, I was impressed and will be back next year.  Sure, you didn't have inflateable in & out chutes or medals (and some dumpy bike corrals), but the price was sure right and I LOVE the construction cone orange shirt!!!!!  IF I could have only found 4 more seconds to get AG 3rd  Cry  it would have been a perfect day (rain or otherwise).

There were some inspiring folks racing too.  Anyone see the kid running with his bike after about mile 5 after a chain break?  Go check the results, the kid not only finished the bike on foot, but ripped off a 22 minute run.  I'm all but sure I would have packed it in after losing the chain.

Edited by AeroBaldness 2009-07-12 7:16 AM
2009-07-12 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2278926

User image

Expert
AeroBaldness - 2009-07-12 8:15 AM

For an event run by a Parks & Rec Department versus a big race outfit, I was impressed and will be back next year.  Sure, you didn't have inflateable in & out chutes or medals (and some dumpy bike corrals), but the price was sure right and I LOVE the construction cone orange shirt!!!!!  IF I could have only found 4 more seconds to get AG 3rd  Cry  it would have been a perfect day (rain or otherwise).

There were some inspiring folks racing too.  Anyone see the kid running with his bike after about mile 5 after a chain break?  Go check the results, the kid not only finished the bike on foot, but ripped off a 22 minute run.  I'm all but sure I would have packed it in after losing the chain.

I saw him too, and the  fact that he beat a few people that were riding was impressive in it's own right.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anchor Bay Tri??? Rss Feed