General Discussion Triathlon Talk » energy foods for beginner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-05 11:33 PM

Subject: energy foods for beginner
I have just begun training to do a 5K after several years or minimal or no activity.  I am 30 years old (female) and very overweight.  I see a lot of these energy bars and drinks and supplements out there, but I always thought they were for serious athletes.  Someday I plan to go on long runs, bikes, or even walks, but today I am just beginning, so I have a few questions (sorry for asking so much):

1. What do you suggest for someone who is on Day One of a fitness routine?  I am looking for advise on what to eat (and how much) before, during (if necessary for such short workouts), and after exercise. 

2. Do you need to take energy supplements or drink sports drinks during short workouts (like walking - usually on a treadmill - for 30-60 min, playing tennis for an hour or so)?

3. Also, I am a student and I usually try to fit everything for my classes.  Right now, with summer I am 100% free on time.  So what I'd like is to eat breakfast, have something before the workout, do the exercise, then lunch, etc.

4. Lastly, some days I want to have a light energy filled breakfast and then workout, then go on with my day.  Do I need to eat something light before the workout and then something else after?  I am a little overwhelmed with what to eat and not eat...

I've heard that eating a small banana, some OJ, and a toasted English muffin with some jam is good to start if I plan on working out after breakfast.  Is this a good idea?

2009-07-06 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2263636

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: energy foods for beginner
Eat healthy, count your calories, portion control, etc. are the best ways to go about what you want. If you are working out or training for <2 hours, just really worry about hydration. Until last year, my favorite energy food on the bike was either a banana or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. You don't need to get "fancy" with energy bars, energy drinks, etc. Most are full of crap anyways - you are normally better with real whole foods - try to avoid refined foods. Read the food labels, practive portion control, and use common sense.
2009-07-06 10:35 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
My typical day if I'm exercising in the morning (so a non-work day) is to eat breakfast, something with protein and carbs.  For example, yesterday I had 2 eggs scrambled with some mushrooms and a tortilla on the side.  I've been known to do oatmeal with peanut butter or toaster waffles with peanut butter or smoothies as well.  I wait about an hour and then do my workout.  I can't do workouts with too much in my stomach.  If I'm doing afternoon workouts I eat normally and just make sure to eat a snack about an hour before hand, usually a granola bar or apple with peanut butter for me. 

Right now you don't really need to worry about extra energy supplements or sports drinks.  Biggest thing is to find a balance of eating enough calories to fuel your workouts but not so much that you aren't loosing weight (I assume part of your goals is weight loss, it is for me).  For awhile I wasn't loosing weight and I finally figured out that I wasn't eating enough.  I added a few hundred calories a day (of healthy stuff!) and off came the weight.  I'm down about 50 lbs with about around 40 more to go and it's a slow but satisfying process.  I like this online calculator to give yourself a ballpark for calories.  But don't use it as a bible, adjust as you learn how your body works. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#/>
Good luck and have FUN!!!!!!
2009-07-06 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2264469

Thank you!

What would you say is the timeline or guideline for when things like energy supplements (or just foods with energy properties) and sports drinks?  Just curious at what level of training these are supposed to be added?
2009-07-06 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2265375

User image

Master
maeve78 - 2009-07-06 3:38 PM

Thank you!

What would you say is the timeline or guideline for when things like energy supplements (or just foods with energy properties) and sports drinks?  Just curious at what level of training these are supposed to be added?

You'll know when you need it. If you are going to train/race for at least 90 minute to 2 solid hours, you'll begin to feel the need to fuel. Efforts less than that, hydration is important. You would probably bonk by 3 hours.

1) Hydrate and Hydrate early.
2) Longer efforts fuel with liquids or gels.
3) Even longer efforts fuel with solids too, if you want.

Keep in mind that protien is hard to digest, as is solids. Protien will take energy from your body to digest, as well as to push more blood to your stomach to aid with the digestion.
2009-07-06 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2265412

Thanks titryon, that really helps as a guide  Right now my workouts are gonna be around the 30 minute range (including the warm up and coo down) but eventually it'll increase.  Also, when I play tennis I usually for for about 90 minutes to two hours....and with this south texas heat, it's hard to know what I should take for staying hydrated and for keeping up the electrolytes from sweating.  I just bring a sports drink like powerade and water for those days and I feel great when I drink them both, as long as I do it intermittantly throughout the game.

You guys have been a great help, especially for such a beginner as me!  The people on this forum are awesome.  Thanks.

2009-07-06 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2265679

User image

Master
maeve78 - 2009-07-06 5:54 PM

I just bring a sports drink like powerade and water for those days and I feel great when I drink them both, as long as I do it intermittantly throughout the game.

You guys have been a great help, especially for such a beginner as me!  The people on this forum are awesome.  Thanks.

Glad to help. Check the label on the powerade, premix has lots of HFCS. Gatorade powder though does not, even though bottled gatorade does. I can't drink gatorade, it upsets my stomach, and I am sponsored by Gu, so I drink Gu Brew. 2 scoops is 100 calories, and I have 300-400 calories for 2-3 hours in the heat - I just mix up to 8 scoops into a 20oz water bottle (my 3 hour water bottle), and drink a few gulps of it, and then straight water from another bottle to wash it down. Anything thicker, and it get's to be too strong. Just a few random thoughts.
2009-07-08 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2266064

Thanks tjtryon, that info really helps.  I just wanted to make sure I get enough to deal with working out in the heat so I don't get too fatigued or (worst-case) pass out or anything bad.  Maybe I'll try that stuff as my workouts get more intense.

Smile
2009-07-08 11:02 PM

User image

Master
Always feel free to ask me, or ask anyone on the forums. Any of the "high post count" people have been through what you are currently going through now, and have good experiences to share (or they are just addicted to BT, in which case they probably know where to find you the correct information ;-) .
2009-07-08 11:02 PM

User image

Master
Always feel free to ask me, or ask anyone on the forums. Any of the "high post count" people have been through what you are currently going through now, and have good experiences to share (or they are just addicted to BT, in which case they probably know where to find you the correct information ;-) .

Oh, and take everyone's information as just their experiences. Some of us may be full of shite, some of us may be less experienced than we want to believe, and some of us genuinely know what the deal is. You can filter through the shite, and get to the good info on BT.

Additionally, there are several nutritionists on the forums (I am NOT one of them, but I like to think I know a little bit).

Edited by tjtryon 2009-07-08 11:04 PM
2009-07-09 5:31 PM

Much thanks.  This site has definitely given me a lot of info.  I certainly know that not everything everyone says is true or would work for me, but just knowing there are others who understand or might steer me in the right direction is much better than going it alone and in the dark.

Thanks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » energy foods for beginner Rss Feed