General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buoys - IMLou Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-06 6:58 AM

Veteran
Richmond, KY
Subject: Buoys - IMLou

Does anyone have any idea how far apart the buoys may be for IMLou?  Having done my first OWS this past weekend, I'm trying to get some concept for how difficult it will be to spot them for navigation. 

I'm also curious if anyone on here has ever had to hold on to one of them for a break to compose themselves?  After my OWS I'd imagine it's not uncommon at all.  My swim fitness is very good but I found myself having to tread water several times just to relax myself when I first started.  Between cold water and zero visibility, for the first 10 or 15 minutes I almost forgot that I new what I was doing.  I finally had to revert to repeating in my head stroke-stroke-breath until I calmed down.

2009-07-06 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2263824

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: Buoys - IMLou
tsprks - 2009-07-06 7:58 AM

Between cold water and zero visibility, for the first 10 or 15 minutes I almost forgot that I new what I was doing.

Louisville water will be warm, but visibility may not be better. I've seen people grab bouys, grab boats, etc. All is legal, as long as you don't make forward progress with their assistance.
2009-07-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2263824

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Buoys - IMLou

I tried to figure that out too to give me a sense of progess but I don't think the buoys are uniformly spaced.  You don't need them for navigation.  Just hug the bank on your left the whole race and you can forget about the buoys.  I don't remember seeing anyone just hanging on the buoys...than again, I had my head down swimming most of the time.

The best tip I have for the swim is to remember to stay close to the bank after you round the farthest upstream buoy.  If you don't you wil wander out to the middle of the river...and then have to swim back to the bank when you get near the exit point.  You don't want to swim to Indiana and back if you can avoid it!

~Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buoys - IMLou Rss Feed