General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner (Kind Of) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner (Kind Of) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Carrollton, GA
United States
Total Time = 1h 04m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up nice and early. Hopped in the shower to wake myself up. Downed some breakfast and got ready to race
Event warmup:

None...Went to the race site and just after I set up my transition area, the rain started...and then lightning. Long story short, the race was downgraded to a 5K run, which I was not interested in doing. So I headed back to my local gym to do an indoor tri.
Swim
  • 08m 20s
  • 700 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well, I didn't push myself too hard as I wasn't sure how much energy to conserve for the rest of my "race". I think in an open water atmosphere with other triathletes, I would end up being more aggressive on the swim, especially the first 200 meters just to get out in some clear water. Overall, a decent swim, though. Was able to pull out a pretty decent time without expending too much energy
What would you do differently?:

Swim in an actual race and not a 25 yd pool by myself.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

My transition time was quite slow because I didn't want to look like a crazed lunatic running through the gym, dripping wet with chlorinated water. I took the time to towel dry my legs and tri shorts and casually walked up to the stationary bike.

Forgotten about how ridiculous I looked and just ran, dripping wet, to the bikes.
Bike
  • 30m 56s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 21.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I have to say I was very pleased with my effort on the bike. At about 4 miles I was concerned I might be pushing it a little too hard and not leaving enough for the run, but I slowed down, reduced the resistance slightly and found a good pace/cadence to finish with a strong bike leg.

Ride an actual bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

I took my time in dismounting the bike and walking over to an open treadmill. It took a little time for me to get the treadmill cranking, so just an average T2 time.

Nothing, since there wasn't much of a transition
Run
  • 22m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off the run with the treadmill set to 8 min miles. At half mile, increased to 7:45 and sustained the pace for another 1.25 miles. Increased to 7:30 until the 2.9 mile mark and finished at 7:15 pace. At around 2 miles, my whole body started to burn, probably due to the fact I didn't really eat much of anything all day and it was after noon. I almost broke down and called it a day, but pushed myself to finish strong.

Eaten something (at least a gel) closer to the late start of the "race". I also started losing my form as I tired, I need to make sure to keep the same form throughout the entire run.
Post race
Warm down:

Slow jog for a few minutes followed by a 5 minute walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not eating properly throughout the race delays and drive back to Atlanta.

Last updated: 2005-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:20 | 700 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: 25 yard lap pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:56 | 11.2 miles | 21.72 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Flat - stationary bike set at level 10-12, adjusting resistance throughout the "race"
Road:   Cadence: 110
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:59 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat - treadmill
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-04-30 7:19 PM

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner (Kind Of)

2005-05-02 8:06 AM
in reply to: #150580

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner (Kind Of)

Nice job of following through, Chris.

I decided to stay and do the 5k anyway.  By the time I drove back to Columbus/ Ft. Benning, I would have lost any motivation I had.  Great job of doing your own thing.  Next time, just don't worry if you're wet or not

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner (Kind Of) Rss Feed