General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - Need your opinion on bike selection Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-01 3:28 PM

User image

Manhattan, KS
Subject: Help - Need your opinion on bike selection
Hello all,

I want to purchase a road bike for my tri's this year and I recently paid for a professional bike fit. The following bikes were recommended based on his analysis:

1. Specialized Roubaix Elite
2. Cannondale R900
3. Giant OCR Composite 2 or 3
4. Cervelo Soloist

Out of the four he said the Specialized would be the best fit. I asked about the Cervelo Soloist since I have heard good things about it and he said they could make it work but was not on the top of his list. Based on your experience what bike would you recommend or what pro's and con's do you see for each bike?

I competed in one sprint tri last year on a mountain bike and I am planning 3 sprints and 1 Olympic tri this year. My price range is $1,500 - $2,200. I plan to test ride each of these bikes next weekend but your help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2005-05-01 4:44 PM
in reply to: #150825

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Help - Need your opinion on bike selection
Buy the one that feels best when you're riding it, its up to YOU to be comfortable on the bike, not the salesperson. Even if that means picking a model that wasnt recommended to you. For the price range you have you should be able to get a very nice bike, you might even want to shop around and try out other models that the shop you're looking at doesnt carry (like Trek, Felt, Klein, etc).
2005-05-01 4:59 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Which one's RED?

Seriously, all four are good models by respected manufacturers. Compare components, compare fit and feel, if everything is equal then the color just as soon be the determining factor.

$2200 opens up a whole lot of other models to you as well, so do a little more homework and shop around.

2005-05-01 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Not knowing all the details behind your LBS and your fittment, I'd be a bit skeptical when someone would rule out a Cervelo like that without a better explanation (furthermore, I am even more concerned that nowhere in your list is Felt mentioned).  As Bear stated, I'd buy what fit the best.  I'd also try more than one shop.  You never know what might be motivating a dealer to recommend one bike over another (e.g. dealer incentives, overstocked inventory, etc.).  Find the one you like the best, that fits the best, and which is objectively the best bike for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - Need your opinion on bike selection Rss Feed