General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To tri bike or not to tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-14 12:17 PM

Subject: To tri bike or not to tri bike
I was told in a biking community not to train on a tri bike due to wear and tear. I am seeing several people on here talking about training on theirs...Do you have more than one bike, start with a cheapy and work your way up...what is your from no bike to tri bike story?

I am getting ready to get a bike, been on the stationary thus far...what kind of bike do you folks recommend?

2009-07-14 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2284469

User image

Kayak Point, WA
Subject: RE: To tri bike or not to tri bike
I have had a mt. bike for years.  I ride it off road, and with the kids on "family" rides.

I purchased a low/mid ($1200 retail) end road bike a few years ago to do a long road ride (200+miles) with a friend.  I put a couple thousand miles on it over a few years and began riding with a group of roadies on a regular basis and wanted to upgrade bikes.

I purchased a TT bike (Cervelo P2C) and gave up my old road bike to my wife.  The roadies don't have any issues with me riding with them and I ride it all of the time.  I do WAY more road riding (long road endurance type rides with lots of miles and lots of elevation gain) than I do Tri's but I do it all on my P2C. 

I love my P2C and don't have any complaints and plan on useing it for Tri's for a long time to come.  Having said that, if money wasn't an issue I would also love a high end road bike for the bulk of the riding I do in a pack and up large elevation gains.  I can do it on my P2C, and will continue to do it, but it would be more comfortable and easier on a road bike.

I don't have any issue putting lots of miles on my TT frame.

Train/ride what you have and make it work, in the end it is all in the engine!
Michael
2009-07-14 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
A tri bike is just as durable as a road bike. Many people only have a tri bike, train on it, race on it, ride it on the indoor trainer, no problemo.

Many people do have race wheels and training wheels though. Use your beater wheels for training, cheaper to replace and easier to fix usually.
2009-07-14 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
I got into cycling because of triathlon....I knew I was going to do tri's, I bought a tri-bike. I only have a tri-bike. I ride my tri-bike all the time. 

The type of bike you want to get depends upon your goals, use, and $$$ available! Tons of options out there! 
2009-07-14 1:35 PM

User image

Master

Until I signed up for my first tri (2007), I had not ridden a bike in years.  I trained on an old mountain bike (Trek 400 series) with knobby tires until my marvelous husband bought me an entry-level tri-bike (K2 T9) later that same year before my race.  The moutain bike went to Colorado with my sister that summer and has since been stolen. 

I still have only the tri-bike, and no need for another bike.  It is comfortable for training, toodling around town, towing my kids on the tag-a-long or in the trailer or whatever.  For bigger hills (in the mountains, for example), I might want more easier gears but for now I need more work on my engine instead.  I see absolutely no need to have a road bike. 

Does the biking community say not to train on the tri bike because of the wear and tear on the bike or on you?  If your bike is well-adjusted, you shouldn't experience any additional discomfort on it over a road bike.   Wear and tear on the bike?  Well, maybe that would be an issue if you bought a really really expensive bike, but I call BS.  Even if you did have a $3K+ bike, wouldn't you still want to be very familiar with it and comfy on it so it felt like it was a part of you?

2009-07-14 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I ride my S32 (almost) every day, on Tennessee's absolute crap roads/trails. Never had a problem with it breaking down.

I started (well, first time since I was 12) on my Felt, and although It took a LOT of getting used to and was practically terrifying at first, I'm glad I jumped in the "deep end." I feel as (if not more) comfortable on it as I do on a nice road bike.

Do a bunch of research before you decide on what kind of bike to buy. If you plan to ride primarily in preparation for triathlons, buy a tri bike... if you just enjoy riding (especially group) and just plan to casually enter tri's, a road bike is probably better suited.

Most importantly... get one that fits.

2009-07-14 1:42 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
For many years, my tri bike was my only bike. I did all my training and racing on it...casual rides, commuting, trainer rides, etc etc.
2009-07-14 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Bought a mountain bike three years ago to bike to campus for class. Then bought a road bike off ebay last summer after selling the mountain bike, then just under a year later upgraded to a P2C.

I only have the P2 and do all my riding on that, would love to have the money to pick up a nice road bike tho since I'm doing a lot more riding with other people since some of my friends are picking up road bikes.
2009-07-14 1:55 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I had a really nice carbon road bike. Then I got a P2C..............never ever ride the road bike anymore. Having said that I do not do group rides.........usually ride solo or with one other person.
2009-07-14 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The only bike I own is my P1. If I had the money, I would buy a road bike for the flexibility. I don't mind using my tri bike train/race/trainer. My next bike purchase will be a nicer tri bike.
2009-07-14 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I bought a road bike 8 years ago for $750.  Since then I've gotten clipon aerobars and a fitting and new wheels.  Love my bike.  I'd probably love a tribike too, but I'm not willing to spend the $$$.  Besides, the gearing on my roadie lets me climb mtns and race on flats.  I only do 3 tris/year, but try to do weekend group rides year round, so I guess a road bike fits my life better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To tri bike or not to tri bike Rss Feed