General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain Behind Knee...Help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-03 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
Subject: Pain Behind Knee...Help!
Ok, looked on-line but nothing seemed to fit so I am hoping for some insight from the crowd. Here is the scoop, went for a 40 mile Bike ride on Sunday and later that night the back of my right kneee, just above the calf seemed a little tight, no big deal right.....We'll it got worse overnight and is still here, swimming is no problem but I don't want to run or bike on it yet as it hurts some after sitting for a few minutes. Something just isn't right above the calf muscle at the back of the lower portion of the knee, any ideas, thnaks for the help!!!

jim

2005-05-03 11:19 PM
in reply to: #152249

User image

Extreme Veteran
Niagara Falls, Ont
Subject: RE: Pain Behind Knee...Help!
I'm not a doctor, but i do play on on TV......

(taken from the may 05 bicycling mag)
If the backs of your knees hurt, lowers your saddle. Pain in the front or sides? Raise it. If they hurt on the outside, try bringing it forward a bit.

is your bike fitted properly? are your cleats in good condition and properly placed?
2005-05-05 10:41 AM
in reply to: #152334

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
Got the bike fitted at the Tri Store, so no issues there. I have had that 'type' of knee pain before and it is more like the top part of the calf vs the 'back' of the knee, my bad on the post as it was somewhat confusing. Thanks

jim
2005-05-05 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

Does it hurt when you run also???

I have had this issue, and I was told I have a cyst on the back of my knee that maybe causing some issues, and there is a capsule behind your knee that may be inflamed. But I did a lot of rest and then it still wasn't getting better then the doctor told me to go to PT and they did what is called ASTM on my knee/calf. That is what has worked for me, but I am not a doctor so if it doesn't get better, go in and get it looked at before you get into much trouble.

Hope you start to feel better!
GJ

2005-05-05 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

also the cyst is called a Bakers cyst.

2005-09-23 12:32 AM

New user

Houston
i am experiencing the same type of injury. I been on the bench for about 6 weeks now. Seems to be getting better, but very slow. I find that it hurts now by sitting on my couch studying on the coffee table. For some reason bending over and having my legs at a 90 degree angle for an hour really makes my 'behind the knee injury' really tight and sore. I have to call in 'behind the knee injury' b/c i have no idea what to call it. I have tried to describe it to people however everyone assumes it is behind my kneecap. Not so. It is on the back of my leg in the knee region. My right 'knee' started hurting after an intense 10 mile ride. I rehabed it for awhile then got back on the bike and the left started hurting. I am beginning to think it is my saddle height. I am going to experiment and let you know when i can. good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain Behind Knee...Help! Rss Feed