General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Butcher Jones and beginners Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-26 6:11 PM

New user

Subject: Butcher Jones and beginners

Hello all with experience:

I've been out to Butcher Jones the last two Sunday mornings to work on my fear of the open water swim and I have a few questions for those who've been out there before.

1. How many times does one really have to go to get over the fear of the "octopus grass"? That stuff is scary. Grabbing your feet and legs like that....yikes!Surprised

2. Is there any time of the week that one can realistiically expect fewer boats? I took a huge lung full of diesel fume today that burned for an hour. And I got that horrible taste in my mouth too. Some big houseboat motor wouldn't start - I swear they flooded it. ICK!Yell

3. Since I am not able to make the Thursday night swim, is there another time when I can expect to find other swimmers out there? I'm from the really old school that says never swim alone  and my swim buddy isn't always available when I am.

2009-07-26 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2308910

User image

Expert
Arizona
Subject: RE: Butcher Jones and beginners
1) I'll let you know when I succeed
2) Not on the weekends
3) Monday evenings. I will generally be there at 5:00 pm, and the Durapulse crowd
shows up at 6:00 pm.

(I won't be there tomorrow as I have to get home to watch the older kids while
the youngest goes with Mom to the Wiggles. Better her than me. )

-Jot
2009-07-27 12:59 AM

User image

Mesa
1. Objects in the water will always get you unless you know they are there.

2. What Jot said...

3. AZ Tri Club has some weekend swims at Canyon lake.

At Canyon Lake there is no high grass and the water is slightly cooler and less blech. If you go to the cove across from the marina, no boats are allowed back there and there is no boat traffic at all near there as they go the other direction out of the marina/launch strip.

The other place to swim there is the cove by the first bridge but there is a little boat traffic there "no wake."
2009-07-27 5:02 PM

User image

Gilbert, AZ

Just an FYI

A lot of us swim out at Canyon Lake.  Almost every Thursday and one day on the weekend.

We are swimming at the Boulder Rec. Area which is at the second bridge just before the marina.

If you want to get on the free training email list go to www.aztriathlontraining.com

We will be out there this Thursday at 5pm. Most people swim for 45min to an hour

2009-07-27 8:23 PM

New user

Thanks for the comments - good to know that I'm not alone in the grass hating club.

I found the aztriclub site last night. I'll be joining you out there this week if I can get out of work early enough.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Butcher Jones and beginners Rss Feed