General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gatorade Replacement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-30 11:15 AM

Regular
, Indiana
Subject: Gatorade Replacement
I am currently looking for a replacement drink other than powdered gatorade.  I like the powder best because I can mix it to my own personal preference (lighter rather than heavier).  However, I feel I am not getting everything I need after/during a workout that I may need.  I know gatorade has been proven to work for athletes in various sports but I don't know how well it works for triathletes and refueling.  Anyone have any insight into this or suggestions on a replacement drink other than gatorade?

2009-07-30 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2317404

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Gatorade Replacement
I don't think Gatorade is meant to be a post workout recovery drink so that's probably why you don't feel like you're getting what you want.  Gatorade is meant to be a during exercise electrolyte replacement drink.  I use chocolate milk for post workout recovery if I won't be eating a meal shortly (which with my schedule I usually will be). 
2009-07-30 2:22 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Gatorade has carbs and some electrolytes which help in fueling your workouts.  You shouldn't really need much (or any) for workouts under an hour.  Once you go longer than that, it is useful.  Whether Gatorade has everything you need in terms or calories and electrolytes depends on how much you drink and your specific requirements (and if you are mixing it "light", then you need to drink more in order to get the same amount of those as a "normal" serving).  There are plenty of other sports drinks that offer similar things in differing flavors.  If you need more calories, then you can look into gels, bars, blocks, other drinks, etc.

After a long or hard workout, you are better off eating real food with carbs and a bit of protein.  Chocolate milk actually has a nice mix of these if you need something quick (and tasty!).
2009-07-30 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Gatorade is stronger than many of the "chain store" available sports drinks, but it doesn't cut it for me either. For short workouts - I'm ok with it, but for anything over an hour and a half, well, I lose too much salt in my sweat and I cramp. I can recommend EFS brand mix as a better fit for someone like me, who loses alot in their sweat and sweats very heavily. I mix it in a bike bottle and drink one bottle minimum for each hour I exercise, on hot days I up the amount of liquid per hour with a highly watered-down blend in a second bottle. I also take in one gel pack (Powerbar brand for me, but everyone's different) per hour. At about 4-5 hours, I take 2-4 Endurolyte tablets to keep things balanced.

Again - I am a heavy salt sweater - I lose much more rapidly than most others.

As for post workout - I agree with the other posters - protein is the key. Once I began taking in a minimum of 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of my workouts, my recovery improved tremendously. I lean on protein bars with less than 5 mg of cholesterol - can't do milk because I'm lactose intolerant. But, you can try lots of options - find the one that gives you the protein you need and do it religiously after your workouts. You'll be shocked at how much better you feel and perform.
2009-07-31 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Correction - the brand behind EFS is 1st Endurance.
2009-08-01 10:00 AM

User image

Tyler,
ritzb - 2009-07-30 11:15 AM I am currently looking for a replacement drink other than powdered gatorade.  I like the powder best because I can mix it to my own personal preference (lighter rather than heavier).  However, I feel I am not getting everything I need after/during a workout that I may need.  I know gatorade has been proven to work for athletes in various sports but I don't know how well it works for triathletes and refueling.  Anyone have any insight into this or suggestions on a replacement drink other than gatorade?

hey went through the same thing and use cytomax now.

2009-08-03 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2318733

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
sulross - 2009-07-31 12:27 AM  As for post workout - I agree with the other posters - protein is the key.

No.  Carbs are the key.  A 'little' protein goes a long way.  But carbs are what you need to replace post-exercise.
2009-08-03 12:54 PM

tons of good info..
2009-08-03 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2323839

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
JohnnyKay - 2009-08-03 10:19 AM

sulross - 2009-07-31 12:27 AM  As for post workout - I agree with the other posters - protein is the key.

No.  Carbs are the key.  A 'little' protein goes a long way.  But carbs are what you need to replace post-exercise.

Kinda harsh there with the "No." I guess I should have stated it more clearly that for MY recovery, adding protein was the missing ingredient. I was a carb replacement person already, but still was having difficulty feeling any consistent gain in strength over time. Once I added protein shortly within the end of a workout, I noticed improvements. Since most Americans are carb-heavy eaters, I guess I assumed this could be the case here, also. I should have clarified.
2009-08-04 9:15 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-04 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2325183

Not a Coach
Media, PA
sulross - 2009-08-03 6:11 PM
JohnnyKay - 2009-08-03 10:19 AM

Kinda harsh there with the "No." I guess I should have stated it more clearly that for MY recovery, adding protein was the missing ingredient. I was a carb replacement person already, but still was having difficulty feeling any consistent gain in strength over time. Once I added protein shortly within the end of a workout, I noticed improvements. Since most Americans are carb-heavy eaters, I guess I assumed this could be the case here, also. I should have clarified.

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh with it.  It's just that too many people equate recovery with protein shakes or something--fine if you are wieght lifting and body building.  But for endurance recovery, it's the carb replacement which matters most.  Even getting protein shortly after a workout probably only matters if you are working out a lot and need to focus on quick recoveries.  Otherwise, eating 'normal' is usually the best way for most people to replenish & recover.

2009-08-04 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2326449

Not a Coach
Media, PA
bachorb - 2009-08-04 10:15 AM
The sugar in Gatorade tells your body to store fat during a workout, when what it needs to be doing is BURNING fat.

Really?  Explain.

(Note:  Not trying to be harsh.  Simply pointing out something that appears to be patently false.  But willing to be pointed to evidence that proves me wrong.)
2009-08-04 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2326669

Champion
Frisco, TX

JohnnyKay - 2009-08-04 10:22 AM
The sugar in Gatorade tells your body to store fat during a workout, when what it needs to be doing is BURNING fat.

Really?  Explain.

(Note:  Not trying to be harsh.  Simply pointing out something that appears to be patently false.  But willing to be pointed to evidence that proves me wrong.)

Probably referring to the insulin response to sugar intake.  Not sure that it works like the same during exercise as it does when someone is sitting on the couch hammering Snickers and washing it down with Dr. Pepper.  If I had to guess, I would say that the glucose and other simple sugars that you get from sports drinks during heavy activity is pretty much transported right to the closest mitochondria and is burned almost immediately.  But then again, I could be entirely wrong...

I do find it interesting that HFCS are the bad guys now.  Seems like there is a new "evil" food or ingredient every couple of years or so that everything that is wrong with people and public health is pinned to...  Perhaps I am getting jaded at the ripe "old age" of 40. 

2009-08-05 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2328656

Champion
PA
ashort33 - 2009-08-04 11:29 PM

Really?  Explain.

Probably referring to the insulin response to sugar intake.  Not sure that it works like the same during exercise as it does when someone is sitting on the couch hammering Snickers and washing it down with Dr. Pepper.  If I had to guess, I would say that the glucose and other simple sugars that you get from sports drinks during heavy activity is pretty much transported right to the closest mitochondria and is burned almost immediately.  But then again, I could be entirely wrong...

I do find it interesting that HFCS are the bad guys now.  Seems like there is a new "evil" food or ingredient every couple of years or so that everything that is wrong with people and public health is pinned to...  Perhaps I am getting jaded at the ripe "old age" of 40. 

I am curious about this as well.  I'm reading conflicting information about HFCS versus sugars.  I've stayed clear of HFCS but I want to know if this is just two big industries competing via propaganda or if there are studies backing it.
2009-08-05 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2329118

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Pector55 - 2009-08-05 8:32 AM

ashort33 - 2009-08-04 11:29 PM

Really?  Explain.

I am curious about this as well.  I'm reading conflicting information about HFCS versus sugars.  I've stayed clear of HFCS but I want to know if this is just two big industries competing via propaganda or if there are studies backing it.

I'm interested, also. My wife has gone off on HFCS - I'd like to know the truth. We don't consume a lot of things with it anyway, but I'd like to know. Like you've pondered, so often, this comes down to marketing campaigns.
2009-08-05 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2329269

Not a Coach
Media, PA
sulross - 2009-08-05 10:29 AM
I'm interested, also. My wife has gone off on HFCS - I'd like to know the truth. We don't consume a lot of things with it anyway, but I'd like to know. Like you've pondered, so often, this comes down to marketing campaigns.

There is no known 'truth'.  Consumed in moderation, it is unlikely (though not guaranteed) to have much effect on you.  But many people prefer more 'natural' sugars or sweeteners in their food.  Google it and you will find information on both sides of the debate (some science and lots of 'passion and propaganda' on both sides as well)

The bigger problem in the general population is that they eat too much and lots of simple sugars (mostly fructose, which is part of HFCS) appear to suppress a sensation of 'fullness'.  As HFCS is used as a sweetener in many processed foods, it has gained the rep of 'bad guy' in the overall obesity problem.

2009-08-07 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2329334

Veteran

I sincerely believe there are no "bad foods", in moderation even honey buns, candy bars, dounuts, etc. are ok.  And I've never been a food freak, but I am suspicious of HFCS.  Maybe because it's used too much in too many foods which too many people eat too much of, thus so many fat people in the US.  People in Europe eat lots of chocolate, pastries, etc. but much less HFCS, and they're not as fat.

Now, more on topic, premixed, bottled Gatorade has HFCS.  Powdered Gatorade does not.  I know sugar is sugar, supposedly, but sipping bottled Gatorade for 3 hours makes my mouth sore, and powdered Gatorade (mixed as directed, with water) does not.  

"Endurance" formulas of powdered Gatorade, or Powerbar drink mix, have more salts and I've had good results using them on my 2+ hour bike rides.  No cramping, vs. when I used regular Gatorade and water I had cramping. 

I recommend taking a water bottle of powdered Gatorade, mixed to taste, light if you like, on every bike ride, even if it's less than an hour.  Sipping this:
1) gets you and your body in the habit of fueling while riding and
2) even if you "don't need it" getting your electrolytes topped up is not bad nutritionally and will help a little with your recovery and
3) you never know when you might meet a friend while on the ride and go longer than you planned (this is why I always, every ride, put a gel or a few fig newtons in my pocket).

My opinion, based on 8 marathons, 10+ century rides, 20+ sprint triathlons, 10+ oly tri's, currently HIM in training.

Bill

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gatorade Replacement Rss Feed